Celebrity Eclipse - Scandinavia & Russia

yveyel

Hi there

Can anyone who has been on the Eclipse this year on the tour to Scandinavia and Russia, answer these few questions for me please?

1) Where does the ship dock in Tallinn? The Old City or Muuga?

2) What sort of drinks are "free" on board? And where do you get them? And are they available 24 hours?

3) Can you get bags of washing done - rather than individual pieces? And if so, how much does it cost?

4) Is there anything else we should be thinking about?

Cheers

Just got off the Eclipse yesterday.

I don't know what they called the port where we stopped in Tallinn but we bought a ten dollar each way shuttle which took us to a stop near the old city. On the return we just walked back. It only took maybe fifteen minutes on a leisurely walk.

The question of free drinks has to do with status. If you come in without a beverage package and no loyalty club status, tea and coffee and punch and juices at the Aqua spa cafe are free. Specialty coffees and teas as well as colas and alcoholic beverages incur a charge which gets put on your account through your sea pass card.

Again, starting new, I saw a "deal" of a whole bag of laundry, all you could squeeze in, for $45.00. The more you cruise, the less it costs.

Celebrity offers a really good product. Most everybody I spoke with on our Scandinavia and Russia cruise loved the journey as well as the ship. I would bring layers. We needed rain gear in Stockholm, sunscreen in St. Petersburg. Celebrity will leave an umbrella in your cabin.

Hope this helps.

Not sure which sailing you are on, but it's a good idea to join your Roll Call.

Here is a link to the 25th July sailing:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2081725&page=35#

Post 684 confirms that we do indeed go to the Port of Tallinn ( not Mugga, which hasn't been used for 15 years) It's the Excursion folk who have caused the confusion and it has been changed on our itinerary.

A discussion re laundry is at post 723.

Hi there

Can anyone who has been on the Eclipse this year on the tour to Scandinavia and Russia, answer these few questions for me please?

1) Where does the ship dock in Tallinn? The Old City or Muuga?

2) What sort of drinks are "free" on board? And where do you get them? And are they available 24 hours?

3) Can you get bags of washing done - rather than individual pieces? And if so, how much does it cost?

4) Is there anything else we should be thinking about?

Cheers

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We got off 2 weeks ago and it was a wonderful cruise.

We docked in town at Tallinn and we walked into the Old City. There was a festival in progress there and we bought a few crafts from various vendors.

As for free drinks, I don't think there are any unless you are Elite and higher in Captains Club. there is a drink of the day and a grind of the day, both of which cost a little less than normal.

They offer a price for a bag of washing but I'm afraid I didn't pay attention to it since our status gives us some free laundry.

A few tips. If you can, get up at 5:30 AM the day you sail into Stockholm. The scenery cruising the Archipelago is nothing short of magic. We got breakfast and took it out on our balcony while we watched the magnificent scenery going by as we ate. When you leave the ship in Stockholm, take the red line from the ship. This will turn left outside security and will lead you to the Hop On Hop Off boat. It is 25 euros each for the day. The first boat of the day will take you directly to the Vasa museum instead of going the usual clockwise route that takes an hour, and you will be among the first through the doors. Read no waits and very few inside the museum giving you a great view of everything. It will be packed as you leave 2 hours later!

The Aqua Spa cafe is usually empty on embarkation day and it is free. These are lighter meals and there are 2 cooked selections each day that you can order. The pool grill is also good on that day as most people go to the buffet.

Enjoy your cruise, you've chosen a great itinerary. I would go again in a heartbeat.

Edited by TeaBag

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

When you leave the ship in Stockholm, take the red line from the ship. This will turn left outside security and will lead you to the Hop On Hop Off boat. It is 25 euros each for the day. The first boat of the day will take you directly to the Vasa museum instead of going the usual clockwise route that takes an hour, and you will be among the first through the doors. Read no waits and very few inside the museum giving you a great view of everything. It will be packed as you leave 2 hours later!

What time approximately does the first boat leave?

Edited by ep1987

What time approximately does the first boat leave?

We were on the first one and we got to the Vasa as it opened at 8:30 AM, so I think maybe 8:15? There are two boats, a red one and a green one same price. I remember asking which one was due first. It was the red one so we took it.

We were on the first one and we got to the Vasa as it opened at 8:30 AM, so I think maybe 8:15? There are two boats, a red one and a green one same price. I remember asking which one was due first. It was the red one so we took it.

I think I heard that there are two different HOHO boats, and there is a right one to get on to go straight to the Vasa. How do we tell? It sounds like you did the "correct" one.

thanks

I think I heard that there are two different HOHO boats, and there is a right one to get on to go straight to the Vasa. How do we tell? It sounds like you did the "correct" one.

thanks

I didn't know there was a right boat to go straight to the Vasa, so I guess we lucked it out with the red one! I gathered that the boat we took only went straight to the Vasa from Stadgarten on the first trip in the morning. If you get the "wrong" one, it will still take you there but it will go clockwise around the harbor and it will stop at all the stops taking about an hour to reach the Vasa.

A few more questions if anyone's around.

1. Which nights were formal nights?

2. Did you dock at the port quite a bit out from Copenhagen or the one within walking distance?

3. Any shows not be missed, or any that are better avoided?

Anything else to add?

Thanks ;-)

1. Which nights were formal nights?

We had formal nights on the first sea day (2nd day of the cruise), the day we left Tallinn at 4:45PM and the first of the last 2 sea days of the cruise. How could I forget so soon?

2. Did you dock at the port quite a bit out from Copenhagen or the one within walking distance?

Yes, we docked at that miserable port way out in the boonies and they were charging $18 for the shuttle. Since we were part of 2 days in Copenhagen, this added up. You can take the local bus and then a train into the city. This worked great for us on the way in, but the ticket person did not tell us that the last bus out to the dock area was at 7PM. We arrived off the train at 8PM and there was no bus or taxi in sight. We walked to the ship, probably about 4 miles. I don't recommend this LOL.

3. Any shows not be missed, or any that are better avoided?

The one with all the gymnasts was fantastic. If the Chinese magician doing his changing faces show is on board, he is very worth watching too.

Anything else to add?

Follow the red line when you get off the ship in Stockholm and catch the first red HOHO boat. The boat will take you directly to the Vasa museum (not to be missed if you haven't seen it) and you will be in there as it opens without the other million people!! So enjoyable to be there without the masses.

Enjoy your cruise. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I hope you get the great weather we did.

If you can do it, got to the ballet in St P even if you are tired after the long day of touring.

Ours was a 15 day cruise.

Edited by TeaBag

Thanks. By luck i just stumbled across this:

http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/~/media/docs/business%204/cruise%20passenger%20information/cruise%20calls%20cmp%202015%20as%20per%20march%205.ashx

Seems we're at the nearer dock (you're cruise was the only Celeb one to use Ocenkaj, probably due to overnight which we don't have).

I think i've got the ports roughly planned, hopefully we can share a taxi with someone to Tallinn; i know it's not a long walk to the old town but want to be 100% fresh for St. Petersburg the next day.

Thanks. By luck i just stumbled across this:

http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/~/media/docs/business%204/cruise%20passenger%20information/cruise%20calls%20cmp%202015%20as%20per%20march%205.ashx

Seems we're at the nearer dock (you're cruise was the only Celeb one to use Ocenkaj, probably due to overnight which we don't have).

I think i've got the ports roughly planned, hopefully we can share a taxi with someone to Tallinn; i know it's not a long walk to the old town but want to be 100% fresh for St. Petersburg the next day.

I sure hope you are at Langeliniekaj. Perhaps you are right about the overnight. You will see on your chart that we were listed (Jun 1) for Langeliniekaj but it was not so. There were a lot of complaints about the shuttle ending abruptly on the second day and people being left in the city. There was also a funny (well maybe not so funny for those involved) story about a driver of the HOHO who stopped mid way and told the passengers that they had to get off and wait for the next bus because his shift was over! they refused to get off, so he had to drive them to the city!

PS. Re St P, we are in our early 70's and we toured St P 7AM - 5:30PM, then rushed on board the ship, grabbed a bite at the Russian buffet they had at Oceanview cafe, dressed for the ballet and left. We arrived back at the ship about 11PM and went to the theater to see the end of the Russian folk dancing show. To bed at midnight and up at 6AM for day 2 of the tour. St P was amazing. Enjoy every minute of it.