Just so you know where your tips are going.

Tripper10

Another thought on the subject: I mentioned the exceptionally good service and care we had received in the Tamarind restaurant on a comment card - and this was noticed immediately. The two young waitresses got a free lunch in a restaurant in Copenhagen , paid for by their department and a recommendation out of it. So besides giving cash this is obviously another way of saying "thank you" for exceptional service.

That's very cool. Thanks for letting us know.

I was curious about this since we will receive 3 specialty restaurant meals at no charge to us through the anniversary sale. Wouldn't the servers in the specialty restaurants be a part of the HSC tipping pool? If there is no place to add a tip on the receipt, perhaps it isn't expected? Your experienced thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks

HAL has never put a tipping line on any bar or restaurants checks. Most of us choose to tip in cash at the time of service.

The stewards in the Specialty Restaurants are reported to get a very small portion of the Hotel Service Charge but many of us who dine there regularly think they deserve more.

The choice is entirely yours if you don't wish to tip them.

I was curious about this since we will receive 3 specialty restaurant meals at no charge to us through the anniversary sale. Wouldn't the servers in the specialty restaurants be a part of the HSC tipping pool? If there is no place to add a tip on the receipt, perhaps it isn't expected? Your experienced thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks

they are indeed part of the HSC pool.

while their portion is smaller, there are fewer of them there so it most likely works out proportionately. It is a position a number vie for.

We do tip extra for good service but it is NOT a requirement to dine there.

It is personal choice.

I've sailed a few cruises --

We've talked to many of the waiters/bartenders in the various lounges - and have particularly asked about how the tips are distributed. We've been told that the waiters share the 15% on the individual drinks, but any additional tips given at the end of the cruise are not shared.

The bartenders, are interesting. As near as I could figure,they got tips based on the drinks dispensed on their shifts out of the auto 15%. Of course, we have tipped the best of them.

The stewards, bartenders etc must get so tired of being asked about their compensation. They have to remain polite to guests but one wonders how many times each cruise their tips and salaries are questioned. I hate that if it happened to me.

The stewards, bartenders etc must get so tired of being asked about their compensation. They have to remain polite to guests but one wonders how many times each cruise their tips and salaries are questioned. I hate that if it happened to me.

We've only asked when we have had an exceptional bar waiter -- because we want to make sure that he gets the extra that we give him.. Only the beverage servers/bartender s are not included in the HSC. We wanted to make sure that the pooled tips didn't include any extra we wanted to give them.

We sail on Saturday and will eat in the specialty restaurants at least 3 times. What would be an acceptable gratuity? A percentage of the surcharge or a number higher than that? I know that it is a personal choice but a bit of direction would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Laurie

We tip anywhere from $10-$15 per couple for the waiters & the wine steward in the specialty restaurants..

When we travel with our Friends, each couple puts the same amount into the tip which we hand to our waiters & wine steward..

In the MD both Ladies handle the extra tip for our stewards & put the tip into an envelope with a Thank you note at the end of our cruise..

Some may tip more or less or not at all, that is completely up to you

Edited by serendipity1499

In our case, it simply came up in the course of normal conversation. (See above.) We had a nice, polite conversation about how restaurant compensation worked in different countries. Our servers learned about Maine, New York, Florida, and California. We learned about cruise ships, the Philippines, Japan & Dubai. It was like "It's A Small World After All," except that our boat had a bar. We still had to keep our arms and legs inside the moving vehicle.

What were we supposed to chat about? "Come here often?" "So, where ya from?" "How 'bout them Sox?" ;)

We must be odd because we have known some of HAL's bartenders for years and a great many cruises. Same for dining and cabin stewards. We've had many conversations through the years and feel we know them more than Hi, ho 'ya doin.........

We never had a conversation about any of their compensation and they never asked us about DH's earnings. :)

We must be odd because we have known some of HAL's bartenders for years and a great many cruises. Same for dining and cabin stewards. We've had many conversations through the years and feel we know them more than Hi, ho 'ya doin.........

We never had a conversation about any of their compensation and they never asked us about DH's earnings. :)

Like I said in my post, we were traveling with our friends who own a restaurant, and who were the guest chefs on that sailing. There was a lot of discussion about "in the biz" stuff. Everything from garnish prep, to tourist season in New England, to pooling versus keeping tips. No one discussed how much people made specifically. That would be gauche.

In our case, it simply came up in the course of normal conversation. (See above.) We had a nice, polite conversation about how restaurant compensation worked in different countries. Our servers learned about Maine, New York, Florida, and California. We learned about cruise ships, the Philippines, Japan & Dubai. It was like "It's A Small World After All," except that our boat had a bar. We still had to keep our arms and legs inside the moving vehicle.

What were we supposed to chat about? "Come here often?" "So, where ya from?" "How 'bout them Sox?" ;)

That doesn't surprise me. I am sure the crew finds it much easier to talk to some passengers than others. You seem very approachable and pleasant.:) We also had great conversations with our crew and staff, as did many of our Sailaway Gang. Once engaged, they seemed to enjoy the interaction.

That doesn't surprise me. I am sure the crew finds it much easier to talk to some passengers than others. You seem very approachable and pleasant.:) We also had great conversations with our crew and staff, as did many of our Sailaway Gang. Once engaged, they seemed to enjoy the interaction.

Thanks, but I wanted to give some context. The staff knew that our friends were on to be guest chefs, and that they did their culinary demo prep behind the scenes, so the conversations were a little bit different than my wife and I would have had on our own. Our friends, Brian & Shanna O'Hea returned as guest chefs again in 2013, and they are on the Veendam departing from Quebec City in September. Sadly, our schedule doesn't allow us to take that trip, but we really wanted to.

Thanks, but I wanted to give some context. The staff knew that our friends were on to be guest chefs, and that they did their culinary demo prep behind the scenes, so the conversations were a little bit different than my wife and I would have had on our own. Our friends, Brian & Shanna O'Hea returned as guest chefs again in 2013, and they are on the Veendam departing from Quebec City in September. Sadly, our schedule doesn't allow us to take that trip, but we really wanted to.

How delightful to have chefs as good friends. Dinner at their place must be a coveted invitation, for sure. :)

The only answer provided is that some portion of the fee for one restaurant on Carnival brand ships includes a gratuity for the server. Other restaurants? Dunno. Other ships under the Carnival Corp umbrella? Dunno. What percentage? Dunno. What amount (flat rate)? Dunno.

All delivered in 21st century corporate babble talk.

they are indeed part of the HSC pool.

while their portion is smaller, there are fewer of them there so it most likely works out proportionately. It is a position a number vie for.

We do tip extra for good service but it is NOT a requirement to dine there.

It is personal choice.

I am going to double our HSC as soon as I get on the ship.

I am going to double our HSC as soon as I get on the ship.

Just some food for thought. This high end restaurant just settled for $500K over charging guests a 20% service charge but not giving any of it to servers. Service charges were considered a revenue stream. Go figure.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/per-se-settles-with-new-york-over-server-tips-for-private-parties-1435881400

Just some food for thought. This high end restaurant just settled for $500K over charging guests a 20% service charge but not giving any of it to servers. Service charges were considered a revenue stream. Go figure.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/per-se-settles-with-new-york-over-server-tips-for-private-parties-1435881400

I hope HAL is not doing that.

I hope HAL is not doing that.

I agree and share the same hope.

I am booked for NCL where NCL's contract and FAQ basically state they take the money, then use it to support crew welfare. To me that sounds like "We've taken and held your tip, but here is a party instead." I intend to give cash on NCL.

And these are companies not subject to US labor laws or taxation because the ships and crews are not US.

My only real point being that when a company is the one receiving the money you never can be assured of the server getting it. It just shows that companies look out for themselves first and employees...somewhere down the list. It is always good to question and to look out for the interests who interact with you and make your experience pleasant.

I agree and share the same hope.

I am booked for NCL where NCL's contract and FAQ basically state they take the money, then use it to support crew welfare. To me that sounds like "We've taken and held your tip, but here is a party instead." I intend to give cash on NCL.

And these are companies not subject to US labor laws or taxation because the ships and crews are not US.

My only real point being that when a company is the one receiving the money you never can be assured of the server getting it. It just shows that companies look out for themselves first and employees...somewhere down the list. It is always good to question and to look out for the interests who interact with you and make your experience pleasant.

How about when you can actually see it on the employee portal?

http://www.welcome2hal.com/seadailyrate.php

D. Hotel Service Charge Plan:

The Hotel Service Charge Plan is based on a daily folio charge (currently $11.50 - $12.00), minus fees charged by credit card companies and minus a small portion (less than 1%) that is reallocated to vessels with longer voyages to compensate the eligible employees working on such longer voyages for smaller amounts being collected on those voyages. The Company shall determine on an annual basis which voyages shall be subject to such reallocation. The remainder is then pooled and distributed to participants of the plan on each vessel based on a point system. If you are eligible for a Daily Guarantee Amount, then for all voyages ending before April 1, 2012, you are entitled to your eligible share of the Hotel Service Charge Plan for each voyage. If the sum of your eligible share plus your Base Wages for a voyage is less than your Daily Guarantee Amount multiplied by the days during the voyage, then you will be paid the difference. For voyages ending on or after April 1, 2012, the calculation method will change and you will instead be entitled to your eligible share of the Hotel Service Charge Plan determined over the duration of that portion of your sailing assignment that includes voyages ending on or after March 31, 2012. If the sum of your eligible share plus your Base Wages during that portion of your sailing assignment is less than your Daily Guarantee Amount multiplied by the days during that portion of your sailing assignment, then you will be paid the difference. The per passenger per day folio charge may be changed from time to time by the Company.

E. Beverage Service Charge Plan:

The Beverage Service Charge Plan is based on 15% of the amount paid by guests for beverages, minus fees charged by credit card companies. The remainder is then either paid directly to the individual(s) involved in the sale or placed into one or more pools. Each pool is distributed to some or all of the participants on each vessel based on a point system; pool participants vary by position. The percentage amount paid by guests may be changed from time to time by the Company.

=======

There's obviously additional information from people's individual contracts to which we're not privy, but it looks pretty straightforward.

I'm not sure how Per Se's private party & banquet gratuity equates to Holland America. Per Se is in NYC, so it's certainly not foreign. Also, the fine didn’t stem from the regular dining at the restaurant. BTW, dinner at Per Se is $310 per person, Prix Fixe. That figure includes service. If you would like to have wine pairings, plan on at least another $300 pp.

We go there 2x a year on average, and when we first started going years ago, it was a mere $195, but service wasn't included. People really didn't compensate the staff for the level of service - which is outstanding - so they went to service included a few years ago.

That was a very informative and well written post. And with first hand experience at the restaurant in the story too. I don't think I'll be dining there any time soon, but I think it's cool to get first hand experiences posted here and I hope it is worth the coin:D

You've supplied more details to the particular story; but I think my salient point remains; when you remunerate someone for service directly with cash you don't really have to be bothered with thoughts of impropriety on the part of the company getting their hands on the money first and then distributing it how and if they see fit. And it shows how a business was willing to let patrons think the service charges were for servers when it was revenue. It was enough on the wrong side of the line to cause a $500K payout.

I appreciate you posting HAL policy but one thing that stuck out at me is the claim that crew on longer voyages do not earn as much as those on shorter voyages so some service charges are diverted to them? Maybe I am misreading this part? Why would they earn less if the per diem service charge is the same?

I'm also troubled by the Hotel Service Charge "Plan". Plan, to me, indicates some arrangement has been worked up. Yes, the Credit card charges and 1% redistribution come off the top, but the rest goes into the "Plan". Surely the plan had administrative costs of its own, and certainly it must have performance targets and metrics for someone to achieve so that they may participate in the full potential allocation from the plan?

Why can't, or don't, any of these companies just simply say in plain speak "When you pay $12 per diem, $5 of that goes to your room attendant, $4 goes to dining staff, $3 goes towards housekeeping and hotel functions."

If it were that simple they'd say it that simply.

I mean, honestly, that would put an end to all conjecture and most debate. People would clearly know what is going where in an easy to understand, concise manner, just as it used to be done for many, many years.

Edited by LMaxwell

That was a very informative and well written post. And with first hand experience at the restaurant in the story too. I don't think I'll be dining there any time soon, but I think it's cool to get first hand experiences posted here and I hope it is worth the coin:D

You've supplied more details to the particular story; but I think my salient point remains; when you remunerate someone for service directly with cash you don't really have to be bothered with thoughts of impropriety on the part of the company getting their hands on the money first and then distributing it how and if they see fit. And it shows how a business was willing to let patrons think the service charges were for servers when it was revenue. It was enough on the wrong side of the line to cause a $500K payout.

I appreciate you posting HAL policy but one thing that stuck out at me is the claim that crew on longer voyages do not earn as much as those on shorter voyages so some service charges are diverted to them? Maybe I am misreading this part? Why would they earn less if the per diem service charge is the same?

I'm also troubled by the Hotel Service Charge "Plan". Plan, to me, indicates some arrangement has been worked up. Yes, the Credit card charges and 1% redistribution come off the top, but the rest goes into the "Plan". Surely the plan had administrative costs of its own, and certainly it must have performance targets and metrics for someone to achieve so that they may participate in the full potential allocation from the plan?

Why can't, or don't, any of these companies just simply say in plain speak "When you pay $12 per diem, $5 of that goes to your room attendant, $4 goes to dining staff, $3 goes towards housekeeping and hotel functions."

If it were that simple they'd say it that simply.

I mean, honestly, that would put an end to all conjecture and most debate. People would clearly know what is going where in an easy to understand, concise manner, just as it used to be done for many, many years.

You're 100% correct about cash tips. You, the customer, control where they go - unless you remove the HSC, in which case you defeat the purpose because your tips need to go back in the pool.

According to the SEA Daily Rate page,

the only costs that come out are the credit card processing fee and the less than 1% reallocation. The credit card vig makes sense, because that part of the charge goes to your bank or credit card company. HAL never sees it. I believe that the reallocation covers things like the World Cruise and some Grand Voyages where certain passengers get reduced HSC. (Someone who's been fortunate enough to get away that long, please confirm or correct. Thanks.)

There's a page that I read while trying to find the answer to the HSC & Beverage service charge information that specifically stated that the company didn't assess a fee for plan administration. If I find it, I'll post it.

Also from the crew directory:

TIPPING NOT REQUIRED POLICY

All ships have the Rewards for Excellence (RfE) Plan which consists of Hotel Service Charges and Beverage Service Charges. If a guest chooses to adjust out of the RfE Plan and instead provide cash tips to an employee, the employee is required to turn in this cash to their Department Head so the money can be added to the RfE plan. Any “tips” received above and beyond the guests standard amount may be kept by the crewmember

• 2 weeks later...
You're 100% correct about cash tips. You, the customer, control where they go - unless you remove the HSC, in which case you defeat the purpose because your tips need to go back in the pool.

According to the SEA Daily Rate page,

the only costs that come out are the credit card processing fee and the less than 1% reallocation. The credit card vig makes sense, because that part of the charge goes to your bank or credit card company. HAL never sees it. I believe that the reallocation covers things like the World Cruise and some Grand Voyages where certain passengers get reduced HSC. (Someone who's been fortunate enough to get away that long, please confirm or correct. Thanks.)

There's a page that I read while trying to find the answer to the HSC & Beverage service charge information that specifically stated that the company didn't assess a fee for plan administration. If I find it, I'll post it.

I bolded what you asked..Not exactly sure what you are looking for but on our 68 day cruise to SA/Antarctica in 2013 we had prepaid Hotel Service charge of over $1500 included by HAL for booking & paying early..

However on arrival this letter appeared in our stateroom,

Quote Dear Mr. & Mrs. xxxx

Welcome aboard the Prinsendam as we begin our Grand cruise etc etc..

As part of a select group of guests who booked the full cruise eligible categories by May31, 2012 we are delighted to present you the following amenitis or services with our compliments..

Welcome aboard Bottle of champagne

$300 per person shipboard credit auto..applied to your shipboard account..etc etc...

Prepaid gratuities. The distribution of your gratuity amounts will automatically be administered to the appropriate crewmembers at the end of each segment.

Complimentary luggage delivery service for up to two pieces per person at the completion of your cruise...Unquote

It went on to say the amenities & services are non-redeemable & not-transferable..

As mention we booked & paid in full by May 31 the previous year in order to receive the above amenities,,

Of course during the cruise, for each segment, we gave our Stewards several envelopes with cash in them in addition to the HSC which was paid by HAL from our Fare....

Edited by serendipity1499