Help Finding a Formal Gown

Definitely check Dillards. They have the best selection of plus size formal wear in their stores if you are fortunate enough to have a Dillards nearby. If not check Dillards online. When they have a sale, it is pretty impressive.

By the way, when I was plus size, I didn't buy gowns. I bought two-piece formals, or rather, a black or navy formal skirt or palazzo pants and very dressy formal tops. All were bought on sale.These could be mixed and matched in a variety of ways.

I am no longer plus-size, but still stick to the two-piece plan to get more variety out of my formal clothes. To save luggage and closet space on a cruise, I usually take just the one basic formal skirt or pants to pair with a different top for each formal night. It is just easier for me.

I have seen the occasional more formal dress at Nordstrom Rack, I usually buy formal dresses for weddings there. They always have a few options in my size (16).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gert, Have you looked in the more upscale resale stores in Texas? Very dressy dresses get very little wear and offer great value. No prom dresses please.

I've not had much luck at the upscale resale shops. They never seem to have much in my size. A friend recently pointed me to one specializing in plus size, but it is a bit of a drive, so it will be a week or so before I can visit.

After receiving the dress and trying it on, I have decided to leave the split. Being short it is always a surprise how things fit when they finally show up. I was concerned the split would go up to my navel, but it turns out to be sewn together to just above the knee.

I still wish I knew where some of the guests on my last cruise got their dresses. This dress does look nice enough on me, but just doesn't have that je ne sais quoi I was looking for. As one said, the dress just skims the border with frumpy. I begin to think perhaps I need to visit some sort of formal wear shop, perhaps. Unfortunately the only one in my silly small town carries only bridal wear and teenaged prom gowns in stock.

Being plus size myself I like Dress Barn too. You can find some great deals on-line especially if you know the size you need. I have also used Amazon in the past as well. and if you think you might be between sizes a dress can always be tailored.

I love Dress Barn. Seems like they always have cute tops and sun dresses, and their sizing tends to be pretty pretty even. Perhaps it is because our store is very small due to the rather rural area, but they don't usually have much in a more formal nature. Now that you've mentioned it, I think I will check out their online in hope they have something. Thank you!

Definitely check Dillards. They have the best selection of plus size formal wear in their stores if you are fortunate enough to have a Dillards nearby. If not check Dillards online. When they have a sale, it is pretty impressive.

By the way, when I was plus size, I didn't buy gowns. I bought two-piece formals, or rather, a black or navy formal skirt or palazzo pants and very dressy formal tops. All were bought on sale.These could be mixed and matched in a variety of ways.

I am no longer plus-size, but still stick to the two-piece plan to get more variety out of my formal clothes. To save luggage and closet space on a cruise, I usually take just the one basic formal skirt or pants to pair with a different top for each formal night. It is just easier for me.

I do have a very nice pair of black palazzo pants I picked up on clearance at Nordstrom's for $25. Honestly I didn't think Nordstrom's had anything with a $25 price tag, but when they get their clearance rolling there is always the odd deal to be found. I also got the cutest black chiffon jacket with silvery trim, but it seems a mite dark for a Bahama's cruise.

I'm kind of afraid to look at Dillards now, as I just found these cute dresses and ordered them:

102117708_B11.jpg101898700_406.jpg102238943_600.jpg102408100_911.jpg102434636_559.jpg

I guess I've more than covered the five formal nights in our next upcoming cruises now! The best news of all I still haven't spent the $200 I originally budgeted, so thank you all for the exellent help.

I see that your next cruise is a RCCL 4 day Bahamas cruise. These tend to be really casual cruises and a "gown" is probably way overboard for this cruise. I would focus on a cute cocktail type dress that you could get more use out of in the future. Macys has a section called "guest of wedding" which has a cute selection of dresses that would be perfect.

Another idea is to rent your formal wear. It's happening now for women. Look at places like Rent The Runway. They offer up to size 22. If you don't foresee a need for a fancy dress other than a cruise, it may make sense.

We have weddings every weekend at my hotel; every Sunday morning, we get bags and boxes of dresses and menswear to be sent back to their rental spots.

• 2 weeks later...
:confused: I'll just be frank about it here. I am no longer a tiny, young thing. In fact, I'm rather plus sized now. I've kind of arrived here and don't know how to be a lady of that certain age, I guess. :rolleyes: I can't seem to find where to buy one of those lovely gowns other women my age / size wear so beautifully in so many of the cruise pictures at a reasonable price. And yes, ladies, I am terrifically jealous of you all! :o I'd like to spend about $200 and the only place I find dresses of the sort I am looking for they start around $400. That is just more than I can quite imagine spending, somehow. Any help, ladies? :)

Try Aliexpress dot com

you can search for custom plus size gowns. Many of the retailers, if you send them your measurements, they will send you a gown tailored to your body.

The only downside is that you may need about 90days lead time from before you receive your dress.

Try Aliexpress dot com

you can search for custom plus size gowns. Many of the retailers, if you send them your measurements, they will send you a gown tailored to your body.

The only downside is that you may need about 90days lead time from before you receive your dress.

Have you any experience with Aliexpress gowns? I have ordered some odds and ends from there with good results, but never anything custom made. I've decided I will probably just rock the maxi dress I bought at Dress Barn for the Bahamas cruise since it is long.

We are planning to book a next cruise on the Bahama's cruise, though. We would have done it with the recent sale but have not yet got approval for our dates from work. We want to do a Med cruise on Harmony of the Seas out of Rome / Civitivechia next year and probably also a Caribbean out of San Juan. I figure that's four formal nights next year. I'd be happy with two gowns as that would mean 2 wears for each. :)