Help Finding a Formal Gown

:confused: I'll just be frank about it here. I am no longer a tiny, young thing. In fact, I'm rather plus sized now. I've kind of arrived here and don't know how to be a lady of that certain age, I guess. :rolleyes: I can't seem to find where to buy one of those lovely gowns other women my age / size wear so beautifully in so many of the cruise pictures at a reasonable price. And yes, ladies, I am terrifically jealous of you all! :o I'd like to spend about $200 and the only place I find dresses of the sort I am looking for they start around $400. That is just more than I can quite imagine spending, somehow. Any help, ladies? :)

I would go online to the major dept store sites, look at some of their offerings, then GO to those stores and TRY THINGS ON!!! Texas must have some of the major retailers! And, trying things on is the best way to see what suits you! Take a friend if you are unsure..someone who will tell you the truth about how a garment looks on you!

And, you don't need to have ballgowns, or bejeweled dresses...there are many price points for "formal" wear...maybe a cocktail dress would suit...they are totally fine on all cruise lines!

I find that the offerings in plus size are MUCH better online than in the brick & mortar stores in NC, so I order whatever I want to try on and then return what I don't like. Nordstrom has free shipping & returns & great sales. I'm no longer plus size but I still shop mainly the same way.

Other online options that have adorable dresses are modcloth and eshakti. Modcloth skews younger but not everything is a mini - and they do offer plus. Eshakti offers customization so you can add sleeves & change lengths. Dang, I want to shop now but my next cruise is resort casual :p Maybe something for summer & work....

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/plus-sizes

e59e872bc4c1db2742a80ce1bb4b434c.jpg?1435178089

027384b16d0ad7f305a335944c3918a1.jpg?1435006616

37081702960d9f02fdd3191d12584e9f.jpg?1434402823

http://www.eshakti.com/shop/Events

CL0036828MM.jpg

CL0028333M.jpg

Check out Amazon dot com. You will be amazed at what you can find if you type in plus size formal under 100.

I started a pinterest board for this cruise and I have found quite a few lovely dresses for plus size. Just waiting to see if I can lose enough weight before the cruise to get into a smaller size or two.

Good luck!

The pictures of the friend makes me think she is not really "plus size" but probably around a size 14-16. They are nice dresses.

I'm thinking, from the way she wrote, that the OP is in the size 22 or higher range.

I would hunt the department stores around first to get an idea of what may look good on you, regardless of the price. Then, start targeting those types at lesser price points. Don't forget bridal shops - they usually have cocktail dresses/MOB dresses for all shapes/sizes.

I think everyone no matter what her age and size are will be jealous of me now (and my mom too). Because the only places we can use fancy dresses are ships she got a brilliant idea: by them at a local thrift store.

What happens is this: students don't need prom dresses after the prom so thrift stores get them because after being altered, gowns can't be returned to regular stores. End result: Lots of prom dresses were available for me to try on. Brides, bridesmaids, and mothers of the bride do it too. So now we each have two very pretty high-quality dresses and Mom paid less than $50 for all four. :D

Try TRADESY.com...its a great place to find cocktail dresses and "wedding" style wear...CHEAP...some are resale some are new ....I Love it!!! Let me know if that helps..

:confused: I'll just be frank about it here. I am no longer a tiny, young thing. In fact, I'm rather plus sized now. I've kind of arrived here and don't know how to be a lady of that certain age, I guess. :rolleyes: I can't seem to find where to buy one of those lovely gowns other women my age / size wear so beautifully in so many of the cruise pictures at a reasonable price. And yes, ladies, I am terrifically jealous of you all! :o I'd like to spend about $200 and the only place I find dresses of the sort I am looking for they start around $400. That is just more than I can quite imagine spending, somehow. Any help, ladies? :)

Perhaps you should post it here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2208337&page=5

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=989623&page=276

Someone might have something for you.

Good luck

Marie

Edited by Porthopper101

I agree that you need to try on clothes! I wouldn't limit yourself to a gown. Cocktail length dresses can flatter all shapes and sizes.

Here are a couple pictures of someone very dear to me. Notice how the dress flatters her figure and how she looks very elegant in the cocktail dress. I was picking out these clothes for her and she initially gave me they eye-roll and mumbled something about not thinking the dresses would look good.

20150605_173332_zpsvrmzievy.jpg

20150605_163532_zpsq1kqkp7f.jpg

These dresses were under $200. She bought the print (OK, I bought it for her, but who's counting?) and a ton of other things that day. Yes, she's younger than you and I, but the point is the styling and cut of the dress for her body type.

In any case, take yourself to Dillard's or Macy's or Bealls or whatever department store you have near you and start trying on all different styles of dresses, including cocktail length, until you find the shape and style that looks best on you. Don't be afraid to pick a style that you previously would NEVER consider! You'll never know what actually looks good until it's draped on your body. Then you can concentrate on price in that type of dress.

Good luck!

fyree39: Your friend looks spectacular. I especially love the floral on her! The colors really make her face glow. I think although your friend looks taller, she is about the same size around as me, too. Thank you for posting!

I actually did take everyone's advice and go to the Macy's closest to me to try some on. Unfortunately they didn't have anything that fit me well in my budget at this moment. On the good side, I have a pretty good idea what size would best fit me. On the other side, I didn't find a dress.

The Macy's nearest me is one of their smaller stores the clerks said, and I should try a larger store a little further away. They said the summer wedding season has really depleted their current stock. I ended up going home because it was late and ordering online because of their amazing sale right now, so fingers crossed.

Edited by TravelinGert

That dress looks beautiful! I love plum/eggplant - works really well with my coloring too:D

When I was plus size, I never had good luck at thrift stores. Stock always depends on where you shop, of course. And I've never had good luck with dresses - any kind - at thrift stores, no matter my size. One reason I love to go to thrift stores when I travel - different options!

Thank you all again! Here's what I have ordered:

04a3bbc47bd18a0b8377e79c7404670c.jpg

Just $40 on Macy's right now. Not sure I'm ready for the slit skirt, but I can always just sew it closed if I don't like it.

Thanks again to everyone!

Definitely sew the slit closed...pretty dress and color.

I would also suggest checking Nordstroms. They are having some good sales now and the shipping on returns is free.

Being plus size myself I like Dress Barn too. You can find some great deals on-line especially if you know the size you need. I have also used Amazon in the past as well. and if you think you might be between sizes a dress can always be tailored.