Solstice To Golden Princess

VK3DQ

I can't believe the tipping program was a major issue...either way we are only talking about a few hundred dollars....

For me I choose Celebrity...I am a suite traveler I like the space...I am 6'8 so space is important to me. Also, Celebrity treats the suite passengers much better. While I don't get how anyone would look down on another passenger because they choose an inside or OV cabin I chose a suite and like that Celebrity acknowledges the fact that we paid more for the suite by giving more perks.....Princess seems not to believe this....So.... pick celebrity, I really don't care that much about a suite only dining room...but, I do like... alot that I can use all the specialty restaurants at no extra charge, and have a premium drink package included. and have my minibar restocked for free. I know I pay for them....but princess does not give you the options. I was pissed off on my last cruise with them because I had to stand in the massive line to get off the ship.....I don't say I am better than all the others...but did think I had paid for the right to skip to the front...but Princess does not agree....and I think when you pay for the top suite you should have reserved seating for the shows....Princess does not agree....So, i pick celebrity.

Or another way to put it

Celebrity taking space away from all passengers and reserving it for suite passengers, Princess does not.

Celebrity in your face with all of the special classes Suite, concierge. Princess does not.

Even when I have cruised in suites I do not like the class concepts. It is not the same on aircraft because the extras for first do not take anything away from the other passengers, unlike on the cruise lines where I have lost what was previously public space, have less choice is show seating, etc.

While I started cruising on Celebrity, as they have made more and more of these changes I have shifted more and more of my cruise dollars to Princess. It used to be all Celebrity, now it is 3 Princess for each Celebrity (about 1 Celebrity cruise per year). After some of the latest moves my time on Celebrity will probably be even less frequent.

Edited by RDC1

Or another way to put it

Celebrity taking space away from all passengers and reserving it for suite passengers, Princess does not.

Celebrity in your face with all of the special classes Suite, concierge. Princess does not.

Even when I have cruised in suites I do not like the class concepts. It is not the same on aircraft because the extras for first do not take anything away from the other passengers, unlike on the cruise lines where I have lost what was previously public space, have less choice is show seating, etc.

While I started cruising on Celebrity, as they have made more and more of these changes I have shifted more and more of my cruise dollars to Princess. It used to be all Celebrity, now it is 3 Princess for each Celebrity (about 1 Celebrity cruise per year). After some of the latest moves my time on Celebrity will probably be even less frequent.

While I agree with the sentiment, I cannot agree with the examples.

With the aeroplane scenario, economy passengers are not allowed to go and use the facilities available to the business or first class passengers, either in the airport or the plane.

And even on Princess there are areas available only to certain passengers that exclude people who do not qualify albeit this is due to loyalty status.

.....The food was OK in the dining rooms, but I really disliked having four small dining rooms instead of one large spacious elegant room.
Once again this goes to show how different people like different things. :)

We greatly prefer smaller, quiet dining rooms, like Blu or Luminae or even Bistro on Five, over the large, noisy crowded main dining room.

It is not only for the food but also for the huge difference in the ambiance.

We would rather eat in the smaller dining rooms even if they used the exact same menu as the huge MDR.

While I agree with the sentiment, I cannot agree with the examples.

With the aeroplane scenario, economy passengers are not allowed to go and use the facilities available to the business or first class passengers, either in the airport or the plane.

And even on Princess there are areas available only to certain passengers that exclude people who do not qualify albeit this is due to loyalty status.

There are areas one can not go into on the airplane. but they did not take anything away from the coach passengers to give to the first class passengers. The coach passenger gets the exact same space between their seat and the one in front of them if first class existed or not. The only thing that one could say would be different is maybe one restroom.

On Celebrity they have certainly taken away Michael's and other space to be used for the Suite class benefits. They have certainly started blocking off portions of the balcony. All of which were available to all when I started on Celebrity.

Name any such public space removed on Princess. Sometimes people point to the Sanctuary, but that can be purchased by anyone, not reserved for a particular room class. The only loyalty status restriction is a two hour period prior to dinner for h'ordeuvres in one of the bar areas (varies by ship). Then the bar is returned for normal use.

Edited by RDC1

There are areas one can not go into on the airplane. but they did not take anything away from the coach passengers to give to the first class passengers. The coach passenger gets the exact same space between their seat and the one in front of them if first class existed or not. The only thing that one could say would be different is maybe one restroom.

On Celebrity they have certainly taken away Michael's and other space to be used for the Suite class benefits. They have certainly started blocking off portions of the balcony. All of which were available to all when I started on Celebrity.

Name any such public space removed on Princess. Sometimes people point to the Sanctuary, but that can be purchased by anyone, not reserved for a particular room class. The only loyalty status restriction is a two hour period prior to dinner for h'ordeuvres in one of the bar areas (varies by ship). Then the bar is returned for normal use.

Sanctuary - space reserved for people who pay more

Luminae - space reserved for people who pay more

Elite happy hour - same as on Princess except on Celebrity the drinks are free

Michaels has been a dead zone for years and just recently been turned into a suite/Zenith lounge. They tried making it into a craft beer place etc but it was not used well at all.

Theatre. a few seats held for suites but opened to all 10 min before show time. Unlike Princess there is room for everyone in the theatre and you don't have to arrive an hour early to get a seat.

I for one do not mind the fact that people who spend more, should get more. If I spend the same amount on Princess I would hope that I would get the same treatment and similar benefits that I would get on X. If not, I would stay on X. Why wouldn't I?

Sanctuary - space reserved for people who pay more

Luminae - space reserved for people who pay more

Elite happy hour - same as on Princess except on Celebrity the drinks are free

Michaels has been a dead zone for years and just recently been turned into a suite/Zenith lounge. They tried making it into a craft beer place etc but it was not used well at all.

Theatre. a few seats held for suites but opened to all 10 min before show time. Unlike Princess there is room for everyone in the theatre and you don't have to arrive an hour early to get a seat.

Its more than just a few seats discreetly reserved , its large roped off sections its far to in your face , they dont explain about this when you book an ordinary cabin

I for one do not mind the fact that people who spend more, should get more. If I spend the same amount on Princess I would hope that I would get the same treatment and similar benefits that I would get on X. If not, I would stay on X. Why wouldn't I?

Best regards

John

Hi Folks

Comparing the changes and class system of the airlines to that of Celebrity does not equate in is not fair.

When we buy an airline ticket we know what class we will be in and almost exactly what we will get , we also know we will not be able to go into the other classes or even use their restrooms

Celebrity on the other hand has to some degree introduced a class system by stealth :p with the introduction of "Aqua Class" we see BLU which is not for the ordinary masses and the space was taken away from that which was originally there , next we see the removal of Michaels club so less space for the ordinary cruiser , we then see Lumina which is for the exclusive use of customers traveling in suites, again some space taken from the ordinary cruiser...

So we really should conclude that celebrity is now a defacto THREE class line

1 Suite Class

2 Aqua Class

3 The Ordinary Cruiser

They IMHO need to clarify this a little , its not something that a first time cruiser can grasp just from advertising and brochures

I have nothing against anyone deciding that they wish to pay for something better !!! :D

But it is rather evident that Celebrity has taken from Peter to pay Paul

and this is where the rub is

Going back many years we had many ships that were indeed multi class in the same way airlines are today , and you stayed in your part of the ship according to how much you paid for your fare.. I think this was just fine :p

you did not get to see how the other half lived and were content with your lot :rolleyes:

So will we see more of a "Ship within a Ship" concepts being introduced??

Or will the "One Class" cruise ship remain the normal

Is Celebrity attempting to be all things to all people by becoming a cross between an upscale main line cruse line and a luxury line , is this what they mean by "Modern Luxury" ?

What you you think ??

Best Regards

John

Could you not find a good seat?

Whilst my wife and I had no issues one lady in our party of six on our last cruise had "Knee" problems and had to negotiate rather more stairs than was good for her , its not that the seats were reserved it was the "in your face" way it was done , just the same way as the roping off of business class on an aircraft is done (Dont you dare jump that rope :D )

Best regards

john

Hi Folks

Comparing the changes and class system of the airlines to that of Celebrity does not equate in is not fair.

When we buy an airline ticket we know what class we will be in and almost exactly what we will get , we also know we will not be able to go into the other classes or even use their restrooms

The same goes for when buying a cabin for the cruise Economy/Business/First vs Any Cabin/Aqua/Suite. Similarly, Hotels also have a Club lounge and room type set up for those who either pay more or have loyalty status.

Celebrity on the other hand has to some degree introduced a class system by stealth :p with the introduction of "Aqua Class" we see BLU which is not for the ordinary masses and the space was taken away from that which was originally there , next we see the removal of Michaels club so less space for the ordinary cruiser , we then see Lumina which is for the exclusive use of customers traveling in suites, again some space taken from the ordinary cruiser...

Only because the class systems have been on planes for so long, if you were just starting to cruise now, you wouldn't know any different.

So we really should conclude that celebrity is now a defacto THREE class line

1 Suite Class

2 Aqua Class

3 The Ordinary Cruiser

They IMHO need to clarify this a little , its not something that a first time cruiser can grasp just from advertising and brochures This may be more of the issue

I have nothing against anyone deciding that they wish to pay for something better !!! :D

But it is rather evident that Celebrity has taken from Peter to pay Paul

and this is where the rub is

Going back many years we had many ships that were indeed multi class in the same way airlines are today , and you stayed in your part of the ship according to how much you paid for your fare.. I think this was just fine :p

you did not get to see how the other half lived and were content with your lot :rolleyes:

So will we see more of a "Ship within a Ship" concepts being introduced??

Or will the "One Class" cruise ship remain the normal

Is Celebrity attempting to be all things to all people by becoming a cross between an upscale main line cruse line and a luxury line , is this what they mean by "Modern Luxury" ?

What you you think ??

Best Regards

John

Ultimately, I think people should not confuse Class with what people have paid. :D

I could see your argument if they turned the MDR into a Concierge/Aqua/Suite dining room and everyone else had to eat in the buffet or Specialty Restaurants! .

And Michael's Club - why all the angst about this space. It was used as an Elite Lounge for years until there was too many Elites and they had to move it to the forward lounge. Then they tried a craft beer place. Empty. So if you and everyone else who is now lamenting the loss of Micheal's patronized the place maybe it would not have been converted to a Suite/Zenith lounge which now gets more use instead of sitting empty.

How has Luminae impacted the space in the MDR? The suite guests who used to dine in the MDR are now in Luminea so the space ratio is pretty much the same. It's not in your face or anything, you don't sit in the MDR and say "oh look at the people up there in Blu and Luminea!!" If you didn't know they were there you wouldn't notice them.

I really can't see how any of these features has impacted your cruise experience. I was on NCL and the Latitudes hostess took my up to the Haven to see the suites. There is a private elevator that takes you to the Haven and the suite we saw on the Pearl was over 4000 sqft!! It was awesome but not in my lifetime lol. Ship with in a ship but not in your face as you prefer, as us balcony residents would never see it..

People have x amount of cruising $$$'s and I think they should be able to spend that as they seem fit. There is no way that if I was in a last minute OV cabin that I would expect the same amenities or treatment as someone that has spent thousands more.

I just hope in Oct I can meet up with someone in a suite so I can get an invite and pay $50 to try Luminea:)

Suite Class = book a suite

Aqua Class = book Aqua

The old class system wasn't based on money so not matter how much you had you could not go up or be accepted to the upper class. Different now

I could see your argument if they turned the MDR into a Concierge/Aqua/Suite dining room and everyone else had to eat in the buffet or Specialty Restaurants! .

And Michael's Club - why all the angst about this space. It was used as an Elite Lounge for years until there was too many Elites and they had to move it to the forward lounge. Then they tried a craft beer place. Empty. So if you and everyone else who is now lamenting the loss of Micheal's patronized the place maybe it would not have been converted to a Suite/Zenith lounge which now gets more use instead of sitting empty.

How has Luminae impacted the space in the MDR? The suite guests who used to dine in the MDR are now in Luminea so the space ratio is pretty much the same. It's not in your face or anything, you don't sit in the MDR and say "oh look at the people up there in Blu and Luminea!!" If you didn't know they were there you wouldn't notice them.

I really can't see how any of these features has impacted your cruise experience. I was on NCL and the Latitudes hostess took my up to the Haven to see the suites. There is a private elevator that takes you to the Haven and the suite we saw on the Pearl was over 4000 sqft!! It was awesome but not in my lifetime lol. Ship with in a ship but not in your face as you prefer, as us balcony residents would never see it..

People have x amount of cruising $$$'s and I think they should be able to spend that as they seem fit. There is no way that if I was in a last minute OV cabin that I would expect the same amenities or treatment as someone that has spent thousands more.

I just hope in Oct I can meet up with someone in a suite so I can get an invite and pay $50 to try Luminea:)

Suite Class = book a suite

Aqua Class = book Aqua

The old class system wasn't based on money so not matter how much you had you could not go up or be accepted to the upper class. Different now

Agreed.:D

Ultimately, I think people should not confuse Class with what people have paid. :D

Here is why there is a difference.

On an airliner I get the same space in a coach seat, even if first class does not exist. If the entire airplane was entirely coach I would get the exact same thing. That is a case where one group is not impacted by the other group paying more and getting something else.

On a land base hotel again they do not take anything away from the other guests. The concierge lounges tend to be in what would have been hotel room space, not reduction in the public facilities. Even there I can always leave a land based hotel to go to facilities outside of the hotel anytime I want. So again those guests that do not have VIP status is not negatively impacted by the others.

Now if you had a all inclusive hotel that was limiting facilities based upon class of room then you would have a similar situation. Especially if that property was rather isolated. However, as of yet I have not seen that,

On a cruise ship there is limited space. Any time space is removed for one group, it is not available to another. That applies even if the space is removed and used for crew space. Today, as a passenger, there is less space available for non-suite guests then there was a few years ago. I happened to like listening to the string quartets that played in Michaels, today they are vanishing from the cruise line (along with other changes with the reduction of CD staff). For me I consider the value I receive on Celebrity to have been reduced and I spend my dollar accordingly.

Based upon your definition the Titanic did not have a class system either, after all it just a matter of getting what you paid for.

Edited by RDC1

An easy way would be to post the sentence you just posted here on the roll call for your cruise as the date of the cruise draws closer.

I should think that almost anyone who is in a suite on that cruise will be willing to invite you to Luminae, since you are offering to pay the $50 and it would cost them nothing.

It would be a nice way to make a new friend.

But having eaten in Luminae, although I enjoyed it, I really didn't think that any meal I had there was worth an additional $50.

If you just want to look around the room, the hostess at the entrance will be happy to show you around and answer your questions.

If you keep watching the prices, sometimes you can pick up a good last minute closeout deal on a suite, especially if you don't want or need those extra perks and check any special category rates for which you may qualify.

Based upon your definition the Titanic did not have a class system either, after all it just a matter of getting what you paid for.

I agree, even in the movie, Jack was able to mix with those others up stairs. :p

Although in reality the class system off the ship ensured that there was a class system on the ship.

Edited by MicCanberra

Here is why there is a difference.

On an airliner I get the same space in a coach seat, even if first class does not exist. If the entire airplane was entirely coach I would get the exact same thing. That is a case where one group is not impacted by the other group paying more and getting something else.

And here it's the same. You're only talking about the ticket for what you buy, not the extras that come with it. You get your same balcony (or whichever) cabin the same as if suite class did not exist. And equivalent to as you say if the entire ship was balconies you would also get the same thing.

However, the extras also apply to both. Get your business class seat, and you get a private lounge - you don't get that with economy, you get more space in your seat - you don't get that in economy, you get better food, better service - you don't get that in economy, you get priority boarding, you don't get that in economy. You get a bed, you don't get that in economy, you may also get a private bar and lounge space onboard, you don't get that in economy.

Actually, as I write it, it seems you actually get quite similar benefits flying as you do onboard with the different grades of tickets. Not that they have to be the same anyway, mind you... but they are!

Edited by The_Big_M

I agree, even in the movie, Jack was able to mix with those others up stairs. :p

Although in reality the class system off the ship ensured that there was a class system on the ship.

Hi Folks

Surely the difference is that now we are allowed in some degree to observe our betters as they cruise

On board the Titanic we all knew our place and stayed in it .. you know we will go to the lifeboats after the 1st class are all in them :p

Oh dear I do sound like a radical dont I ?

But one thing about "X" cruisers we all have a point of view and are not afraid to expressing them .... :eek:

I am enjoying this discussion its a great insight into "differences" and thats what makes the world such an interesting place

regards

John

Hi Folks

Surely the difference is that now we are allowed in some degree to observe our betters as they cruise

On board the Titanic we all knew our place and stayed in it .. you know we will go to the lifeboats after the 1st class are all in them :p

Oh dear I do sound like a radical dont I ?

But one thing about "X" cruisers we all have a point of view and are not afraid to expressing them .... :eek:

I am enjoying this discussion its a great insight into "differences" and thats what makes the world such an interesting place

regards

John

I certainly hope we never go down that Class system but I have no issues with people getting extras or receiving exclusivity for an extra cost. That is what happens just about everywhere nowadays.

I don't see how not being able to go into Michael's Club unless you pay for it is ANY different from not being able to go into Murano unless you pay for it! I don't care to pay the up charge for Murano, exactly as I don't care to pay the up charge for suites. Methinks some folks protest too much.

You really can't think about it that way....or shouldn't. Does it upset you that there is a first class in an airplane? or special lounges at airports for first class passengers.....it is a fact of life that for those willing to pay a premimum there is special treatment.

Even at shopping malls, do you begrudge the space taken by the stores you either cannot afford to shop at or don't think the merchandise worth the premimum price they charge.....it's the same thing......there are alot of places you don't have access to on the ship for one reason or another.....just accept this as another one......don't let the thoughts of other people in an area you don't have access to ruin a cruise....it is really a tiny portion of the ship...and won't really effect you unless you make it. Or......"shrug"....book a suite

Or another way to put it

If the thoughs of someone getting something you can't have really bothers you so much.....then you will really be much happier on Princess of course, you may not get that seat for the shows anyhow...as seating is only available for a small fraction ot the total number of passengers...but, you will have an equal chance of getting in.

Edited by LabGuy64

Not just nowadays.....in the past there have been time you could not buy things or use services even if you could afford them...because you were not of a certain class.....now you can have anything you can afford. A good incentive to work hard or smart to get the good things.

I certainly hope we never go down that Class system but I have no issues with people getting extras or receiving exclusivity for an extra cost. That is what happens just about everywhere nowadays.

The comments about the reserved seating in the theatre for suite guests - the "roped off area" :eek: are IMHO silly. I've only sat there once but I've got to say that in no way did I ever feel like anyone was "noticing" either the ropes, or the people inside the area. Your butler meets you outside the theater and escorts you to your seats - our butler seemed to enjoy this immensely - perhaps an opportunity for HIM to see and be seen. As others have mentioned - 10 minutes before show time the ropes are removed and anyone can seat themselves in those rows. Must we be so sensitive to what others are getting or not getting - especially when those people have paid a very high premium?

How on earth do you spend $1500 on flights from Melbourne to Sydney and one night accommodation? Flight is only an hour and should be $400 or cheaper, where do you stay to cost $1100 for one night?

$400 for three adults Melbourne - Sydney return is not possible. Assuming they did manage to get the cheapest possible flights it would be at least $510, and probably closer to $900.

Also three adults probably means two rooms at the hotel, at $300 per room.

$900 & $600 = $1500.

$400 for three adults Melbourne - Sydney return is not possible. Assuming they did manage to get the cheapest possible flights it would be at least $510, and probably closer to $900.

Also three adults probably means two rooms at the hotel, at $300 per room.

$900 & $600 = $1500.

Worked it out nicely.:D