Carrying Luggage on the Train?

We'll be taking the train from Waterloo station to Southampton with all our luggage, two suitcases each.

Where do we put it? Do we just try to cram it near our feet and seat area or is there a designated area for it.. How much of a nuisance will we be to other passengers?

We'll be taking the train from Waterloo station to Southampton with all our luggage, two suitcases each.

Where do we put it? Do we just try to cram it near our feet and seat area or is there a designated area for it.. How much of a nuisance will we be to other passengers?

When we took the train to Southampton, there is an area right when you get onto the train. Be sure to be fast and get luggage and yourself onto the train quickly. If you hear conductor blowing a whistle the doors will close. There is plenty of room right in that area. I did take a small suitcase with me to my seat.

Unless you are travelling in rush hour, you should have no problems. If you can't get to the luggage area as described above, try and grab a 2 facing 2 seat so that you can keep your luggage with you, though in many cases you can put luggage between seats where they are back to back. There are ample overhead racks for carry ons etc.

Simon

The seats aren't usually pre-bookable from Waterloo to Southampton. It's a matter of first come, first served. I guess you know you can get cheap tickets for this route on megatrain.com?

We've never found an official luggage area on the trains so we've either used the cycle carriage and put them in the storage area there (with no bikes :D) or we've used the 4 seats round the table option sddsddean gave. Either way we've had no problems.

We don't travel until next May but I have looked at Megatrain for tickets. Thanks.

We travel on a Sunday morning so hopefully space won't be at a premium..

We took the train from Waterloo to Southampton on a Sunday morning in May ourselves and I might offer a couple of tips.

First know that there is frequently 'train works' going on during the weekend that might slow down or even stop the train for awhile. That happened to us...so plan to go earlier rather then later to account for a delayed train.

Second...our train was packed because there was some sort of a sporting event going on in Southampton (or nearby). We wish we had spent the extra few dollars and gone 1st class just for the extra room and less crowding. If you buy in advance, the price won't be too bad.

We were going to put our luggage in the area for bikes but my husband was worried about the overcrowding and our inability to keep tabs on our bags when people were coming and going from the train so we used the overhead area and that worked for us.

As it happened there was so much luggage in the bike area I doubt anyone could have gotten to ours to steal them anyway!!

Yet another reason to go 1st class.

I can't tell you how 1st class is because since our experience on the train, we've used a private car service, smithforairports.com. They pick us (and all our luggage) at our hotel in London and take us right to the dock. Last year it was about 110 pounds and worth every dime to us!

Edited by Cruise NH

Maybe check if you can pre-book seats. If we can book early enough and get a deal we travel 1st class where luggage space seems to be more and easier to keep an eye on.

We did not get 1st class seats, we had plenty of room and had seat facing each other. Met several very nice people and chatted all the way to Southampton. There was more than enough room for our luggage, where we got onto the train. Our seats were very close and could keep an eye on our luggage. Got off and a taxi to our hotel one and half blocks from the port. Took a taxi the next morning to the port. Very easy!!

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

We too used the train. Very easy and efficient. Waterloo is well marked with signage and easy to find the right boarding area. We put our suitcases in the open area on the train car. No first class or reserved seating. I think we left around 10 a.m. Watch the mega train site as the date nears to see if you can get the reduced cost...an extra bonus. unfortunately on our date, there weren't any mega tix offered.

We're on the train to Southampton this morning and had no issues with space for the luggage. We were late boarding and there was still room at the front of the car. No worries about luggage space. Also we're traveling on Megabus tickets which saved a lot of money and we're very easy to book on line.

I have no doubt that the train can be the most cost effective way to go, my point to the OP was that Sunday (when they will travel) can be different.

We look at the cost of a car service, and think of it as a % of what we pay for a European vacation and it's very little and reduces stress for us. To each his own...