Crown Princess Alaska Tracy Arm Day by Day 7/4 thru 7/11

GweninTX

Thanks for doing this live review, it was fun following along. I like comparing notes since we did the same cruise in May. We loved going to Michael Modzelewski's presentations in the Princess Theater. He made the whale watching and glacier viewing interesting and fun top side on those days. We enjoyed our cruise so much, were thinking about going back next May.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Very informative posts!

We will take the same cruise next week and had been thinking to take a fishing excursion (now we know we will do it; but not sure which port yet). How much was the bill for the FedEx shipping of the fishes?

Also a question about cell phone on the ship, did you happen to use or turn on your phone? If so, did you use the service provided by Princess or was your phone able to pick up your cell service provider's signals, like AT&T, from the shore (free, no roaming charge)?

Very informative posts!

We will take the same cruise next week and had been thinking to take a fishing excursion (now we know we will do it; but not sure which port yet). How much was the bill for the FedEx shipping of the fishes?

Also a question about cell phone on the ship, did you happen to use or turn on your phone? If so, did you use the service provided by Princess or was your phone able to pick up your cell service provider's signals, like AT&T, from the shore (free, no roaming charge)?

I recommend fishing in Ketchikan. We went with Avid Anglers and Larry was a great guide! It was a flat $85 to process the fish. $2 per lb for filets and $4 for smoked filets. Your fedex will depend on where you live and number of pounds shipped. I will know more on Tuesday when we get the fish! I will report back!

Very informative posts!

Cell phone was in airplane mode on the ship. Crown has a free intranet service you can use to send free messages to others. You can also access the patter online. I also purchased our future cruise credits on the app. When we were in all US ports our cells worked great with AT&T. All but Victoria were local calls - no roaming. If you make a cell call while at sea it is $2.49 per minute. Would have to be a huge emergency for me to call at sea. We also got 150 free minutes of Internet for being platinum. I had 90 minutes left over.

Again, thank you immensely for the play-by-play. So gracious of you to provide such detail for us as first timers.

We are grateful for the offer to post patters and if no one asked first we would gladly pay postage for the copies. Either way you have shared so much with us and for that we maybe won't appear too awkward onboard. 😜 Ha, we are so excited we literally send "how many days til" alerts. Today is 59 days til 😱

Thanks again for you kindness and happy that you had a great cruise.

Was on the same cruise, got off yesterday.

Just to add a couple of things. have cruised Alaska 8 times. This was by far the best trip through Tracy Arm. First time this season that the Ship made it all the way. Lots of ice in water and the ice was very blue.

For someone that usually books Port side cabin, decided to do Starboard this time and a very good choice for viewing whales.

The sail into Tracy Arm incredible. I had originally booked an outside cabin but got the upsell to Balcony and was so glad. Spent a lot of time on the balcony. We had really warm weather (for Alaska).

After the ship left Tracy Arm, we saw huge amount of whales , all on Starboard side and very close to the ship.A truly spectacular day.

In Ketchikan we were picked up by one of my daughter's childhood friends that currently lives there. She is also an employee of a tour company. So we had our own private tour by a local. Saw lots of Eagles.She said that they see bear often and took us to an area were they hang out. Saw no bears only signs they were there(tracks, paths etc).

Beds on Caribe deck were not new, hard as a rock but my back didn't hurt. I think there was a pillowtop pad on the bed.

Didn't see much in the way of changes since the drydock except for a

couple of areas near the elevators that had new carpet. (we have been on the Crown one time a couple of years ago).

Someone had said that the Horizon Ct buffet had an update(a previous poster a month ago). If it did, couldn't tell. I know that the ship's with that change had the desserts outside of the buffet. This ship is not like that and remains as it always has been, no change.

We loved our cruise. Kelvin Joy is by far the best CD we have ever had, he is so funny. I think he is on only this week , goes on vacation, and returns on the Crown Oct 17th for the Hawaii-Tahiti cruise.

By the way the Salmon wasn't running. Most of this activity happens in August and Sept(as per my daughter's friend) and the best port for this is Ketchikan.

And for those that want numbers. Over 2800 passengers were Blue card, first time cruisers.

We made the top 3 most travelled. Number 1 590 days, Number 2 500 something, and we with just 416 days were number 3. Probably the only time we will ever make that honor. We received a lovely Crystal

with Princess 50th Anniv logo on it.Also for elite that wonder about the top 40, it was a really nice luncheon instead of the cocktail party that usually occurs in Alaska cruises.

Gwen, sorry we didn't meet. We went to the M&G and only 4 couples attended. Kelvin the Cd stayed with us for 2 hrs just talking. Really nice.

Gloria:D

Thank you for all of the kind reviews!! We will be embarking this coming Saturday, so have been reading everything :) Just a quick question, what time did disembarkation begin, if you do not mind. Thank you!

I believe somewhere around 7:30. We were scheduled at 8:00am and got down to appointed area a bit later, 8:30. Since our group was called already, just walked off then.

No big crowds, very organized. Going through customs was no lines, a quick glance at our customs declaration and passport and we walked right through.

Lots of cabs lined up, no lines or waiting.

Either side! The captain will turn the ship so each side gets equal viewing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But if you stay on your balcony, you will only get HALF the potential viewing time. Better to go out on one of the public decks.

Can't wait to hear about Tracy Arm, are you by chance taking the smaller boat tour? We are trying to decide if it is worth the extra money. We did this same itinerary a few years ago in May and only made it about a quarter way in before large icebergs turned us around.

We did a smaller boat tour (Allen's) booked through Holland America last year and it was awesome - worth every penny. We had cruised Tracy Arm twice previously via the Cruise Ship. When on the tour last year, we saw a couple of large calvings. The biggest the naturalist had witnessed all season - we went in September.

Was on the same cruise, got off yesterday.

Just to add a couple of things. have cruised Alaska 8 times. This was by far the best trip through Tracy Arm. First time this season that the Ship made it all the way. Lots of ice in water and the ice was very blue.

For someone that usually books Port side cabin, decided to do Starboard this time and a very good choice for viewing whales.

The sail into Tracy Arm incredible. I had originally booked an outside cabin but got the upsell to Balcony and was so glad. Spent a lot of time on the balcony. We had really warm weather (for Alaska).

After the ship left Tracy Arm, we saw huge amount of whales , all on Starboard side and very close to the ship.A truly spectacular day.

In Ketchikan we were picked up by one of my daughter's childhood friends that currently lives there. She is also an employee of a tour company. So we had our own private tour by a local. Saw lots of Eagles.She said that they see bear often and took us to an area were they hang out. Saw no bears only signs they were there(tracks, paths etc).

Beds on Caribe deck were not new, hard as a rock but my back didn't hurt. I think there was a pillowtop pad on the bed.

Didn't see much in the way of changes since the drydock except for a

couple of areas near the elevators that had new carpet. (we have been on the Crown one time a couple of years ago).

Someone had said that the Horizon Ct buffet had an update(a previous poster a month ago). If it did, couldn't tell. I know that the ship's with that change had the desserts outside of the buffet. This ship is not like that and remains as it always has been, no change.

We loved our cruise. Kelvin Joy is by far the best CD we have ever had, he is so funny. I think he is on only this week , goes on vacation, and returns on the Crown Oct 17th for the Hawaii-Tahiti cruise.

By the way the Salmon wasn't running. Most of this activity happens in August and Sept(as per my daughter's friend) and the best port for this is Ketchikan.

And for those that want numbers. Over 2800 passengers were Blue card, first time cruisers.

We made the top 3 most travelled. Number 1 590 days, Number 2 500 something, and we with just 416 days were number 3. Probably the only time we will ever make that honor. We received a lovely Crystal

with Princess 50th Anniv logo on it.Also for elite that wonder about the top 40, it was a really nice luncheon instead of the cocktail party that usually occurs in Alaska cruises.

Gwen, sorry we didn't meet. We went to the M&G and only 4 couples attended. Kelvin the Cd stayed with us for 2 hrs just talking. Really nice.

Gloria:D

Since you have been to Alaska 8 times; what do you think is the best time to go; for weather, and animal sightings?

It's a "popup" specialty restaurant on a few nights of the cruise. One of the buffets is turned into a waiter-service restaurant with a menu focussing on seafood - crabs in particular. There is a $20 cover charge per,person, but it is totally worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even though have been there 8 times, each experience was different.

Friends living in Ketchikan said they have seen many bears, and they took us to where they have been seen, we didn't see any this time.

Last time in July didn't see many whales. This time saw huge amount of whales(July). Have only seen salmon running when we were there in August.

Did see Bear walking around near Mendenhall (In Juneau) two years ago in August.Last year in July saw Moose.

So to answer question, when the best time to see wildlife, when you get lucky and are at the right place at right time.

Except for two trips in May, all our trips were either July or August.

Didn't see much wildlife in May but again, maybe not in right place.

Gwen, we were on the same whale watching tour with you in Juneau. I just got around to reading your review and it is great! Boy, you guys were sure busy. I thought we did a lot of stuff on the ship, but you never stopped it seems!

Thanks to our friends, Gloria and Lew (SanDiegoSue), we enjoyed Tracy Arm on their balcony. It was such an awesome morning! :D