Temperatures in May

Moose12345

We are going to Alaska next May. Near the end of the month. Could someone who ha been there at that time please let me know approx. what the temperature would be. :confused:

Anywhere from 45 to 85 degrees during the day . Also 35 to 55 degrees at night. The weather in Alaska can change very quickly from sun to rain to cloud and back to sun in a space of 15 minutes or less.

We were there this May from the 12th to the 24th. It was unusually warm. Warmest thing I put on was a sweatshirt. Often by afternoon, I was in just a light weight long sleeve shirt. Saw people in Anchorage and ports in short sleeves and shorts. I did sit out in the balcony waiting to sail when leaving Ketchikan in bare feet. So we had perfect weather. As everyone will tell you, no guaranty what you will get. You book and hope for the best and keep a good attitude about what you can't control.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I've checked the temperature charts and I know the weather can vary. Was just hoping someone could tell me what their experience was like. I will just watch the weather just before we sail! :)

I think the best thing about traveling in Southeast in May is the sunshine. It's usually one of the driest months. We took a small ship expedition there in May a couple of years ago and it was a great time to go--no rain and mild temps.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I've checked the temperature charts and I know the weather can vary. Was just hoping someone could tell me what their experience was like. I will just watch the weather just before we sail! :)

I was there in May 2011, and some days it was warm, some days it was cool. If you plan to pack based on what the weather is going to be, you are going to be wrong. Some days, they haven't got an accurate forecast for the afternoon as you're getting off the ship in the morning.

Thanks again for everyone's responses. Really appreciated!!

I will be taking clothing for all weather types for sure. I live in Canada and I'm used to cold winters. I was just not sure if I would need a winter coat, mitts and boots or not. It looks like most of the time it will be in the 50's so I'm thinking a spring jacket with layers underneath should work. (I hope)!! :)

Thank you so much for posting your review. It sounds like you had a lovely trip.

Your reviews definitely will help with my packing list. We are going about the same time as you did. Hopefully we get lots of sun and warmth.

Thanks again for posting!!!:)

Like everyone says its hard to predict. I go every year, generally mid May-Mid June. Overall I'd expect daytime temps in the 50-65 range, this year I hit a two week period where it was 75-85. T shirt weather in all of our ports.

Only thing you can really count on is that it will change all the time and IMHO the weather forecast is just a guess. lol

Like everyone says its hard to predict. I go every year, generally mid May-Mid June. Overall I'd expect daytime temps in the 50-65 range, this year I hit a two week period where it was 75-85. T shirt weather in all of our ports.

Only thing you can really count on is that it will change all the time and IMHO the weather forecast is just a guess. lol

bolding mine.

I completely agree :D

I've spent 35 days in Alaska in May on cruises, and only had one day that was cold and rainy. That means nothing. I still take all the clothing I would need in case it is cold and rainy.

Thanks for all your replies everyone. I will just pack a variety of clothing, and be ready for whatever the weatherman throws at me! LOL!!

It seems so long away, but we are VERY excited for our first trip to Alaska! :D

I would love for it to be warm and sunny, but if it rains the whole time we are there, I don't care. We will have a blast whatever the weather will be! It's Alaska and we are going to explore regardless! A little rain or cold won't hold us back!

Edited by Moose12345

Our cruise left may 29th. Near glaciers I wore leggings under jeans, a tshirt, a thick fleece, a thin fleece, a gortex shell (waterproof spring jacket) a fleece hat and fleece gloves. As soon as we were not immediately near a glacier I didn't need the hat or gloves or leggings. When we weren't on a moving boat, I was fine in jeans and either a fleece or my waterproof jacket. Layers! I did feel like I was constantly taking stuff on and off. But I had a backpack for that exact reason. The weather for cast said hight 60s low 70s for my whole trip, but near the glaciers it was in the 40s.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We were in Alaska in May of 2010 and the weather was absolutely perfect. Don't know if it's always that way but we had sunshine most every day with the occasional cloudy day. We are going again on May 14, 2016 and are hoping for great weather again, but you just never know.

I went in early to mid May this year and we had wonderful weather. I was told by the locals that May is typically the best weather (for the least amount of rain) and it usually is in the 50's. It was warm this May and 60's was the norm

or so it seemed. They had a warmer than norm winter there as well which was

surprising to the locals so next year is anyone's guess.

Layers is the thing as you can always remove them!