Honfleur france

lolmerry

I am going on C/M British isles discovery,we are stopping at Hornfleur France,My O/H wants to do the D, day landings trip,we have been on a trip before but he would like to do it again,Would i be able to just look about the port is there enough for me to do,without having to get transport,Hope someone can help

Thanks Lolmerry

We were there 2 years ago and had a wonderful day browsing and shopping. During the summer, the boat basin is surrounded by local artisans and shopkeepers. We bought our grandson a carved wooden train where the cars spelled out his name. We had a nice lunch at one of the permanent restaurants. The houses surrounding the basin are all of medieval origin and LaSalle's retirement manor is at the base. The merry-go-round is gorgeous.

Glenn:cool:

I take it you're going your separate ways that day.

Yes, you'll tender into Honfleur (note the spelling) harbour. It's very compact, if you don't go ashore with friends you'll bump into folk you've met on the ship - it's that size & type of ship, and that size & type of port. :)

Very pretty & laid-back, plenty of harbour-front bars & cafes, shops & market stalls, & more shops tucked away down little side-streets.

Don't expect to be thrilled or amazed, but do expect a very pleasant & easy day and with no transport needed.

Some passengers on larger cruise ships which port at Le Havre will also head to Honfleur in preference to Paris or D-Day tours, so expect to hear some American accents but there won't be enough of them to overwhelm the place.

Worth double-checking, but most passengers on C&M ships are Brits so I'm presuming that ship's D-Day tours will concentrate on Brit involvement.

I'm guessing your O/H is aware that he needs to pre-book a tour thro' the ship or privately, or pre-book a hire car. Simply relying on finding a taxi at Honfleur for a full day tour would be prohibitively expensive.

JB :)

We are going to be at LeHarve and would like a taxi to Honfour. How far is it? will there be taxis there? About how much will the fare be? Thanks

0 out of 2 for spelling, Nana ;)

That's one worse than the OP :D

Le Havre to Honfleur is about 16 miles.

25 minutes. Obviously allow wiggle-time for the return, though late afternoon/early evening most traffic is going in the opposite direction.

Never used a taxi (only ever been to Le Havre by ferry & always used my own transport) but have seen plenty of posts confirming that there are taxis & vans at the pier - I guess there's not an endless supply, so I suggest you get off the ship early. That'll also give you more chance of a van, which usually works out cheaper per person. Most folk book the taxi to collect them for the return to Le Havre, though I've seen plenty of taxis stationed in Honfleur so the prospects of being stranded are minimal.

Few posts mention the cost, I've seen mention of 25 euros pp return in a shared vehicle. That also equates to the total costs of renting a car - more hassle but the opportunity of spreading your wings a little further, such as along the coast from Honfleur to the twins of Trouville (fishing village) & Deauville (holiday resort)

0 out of 2 for spelling, Nana ;)

That's one worse than the OP :D

Le Havre to Honfleur is about 16 miles.

25 minutes. Obviously allow wiggle-time for the return, though late afternoon/early evening most traffic is going in the opposite direction.

Never used a taxi (only ever been to Le Havre by ferry & always used my own transport) but have seen plenty of posts confirming that there are taxis & vans at the pier - I guess there's not an endless supply, so I suggest you get off the ship early. That'll also give you more chance of a van, which usually works out cheaper per person. Most folk book the taxi to collect them for the return to Le Havre, though I've seen plenty of taxis stationed in Honfleur so the prospects of being stranded are minimal.

Few posts mention the cost, I've seen mention of 25 euros pp return in a shared vehicle. That also equates to the total costs of renting a car - more hassle but the opportunity of spreading your wings a little further, such as along the coast from Honfleur to the twins of Trouville (fishing village) & Deauville (holiday resort)

iS THAT 25 E PP EA WAY OR RPOUNDTRIP

JB said €25 pp round trip.

Hope that`s true, will be there early Sept. & would like to go but thought I would have to pay the same each way. If anyone disputes this please reply.

• 1 year later...

We stopped at Honfleur in May 2016. We were on CMV Magellan and we docked rather than tendered. The cruise company provided complimentary shuttle buses to get us into town as it was a fairly long walk through a semi-industrial/port area.

As I recall, the D-Day tour offer was for the British and Canadian beaches. At some point our departure time was changed and that tour was no longer offered because of time constraints. We had planned to rent a car and drive to the American beaches but with the shortened time did not feel that was possible.

Because it was a short stop and our last port, we took a low key approach. We walked to the view point at Cote de Grace (I don't know how to do the french accent marks). It is not a long walk but it is a vertical walk. The views were wonderful.

We were there Saturday so it was market day which we found great fun but did mean lots of crowds. Even without market day, it seemed there were lots of shops and restaurants to spend a few hours. If we had been there a longer time, I may have looked into visiting a nearby museum or some other attraction, but for the time we had there seemed to be plenty to do.