Very Poor Customer Service

For future reference, it might be worth going through a UK travel agent when booking. That way you have a contract that is undoubtedly signed in the UK, and is covered by English or Scottish law as appropriate.

The OP must be someone who is accustomed to accuracy and efficiency.

Especially when the OP says

"I was told that RCI had a signed invoice from me for $294 for one standard package and $399 for one premium package, which i categorically did not order, I simply upgraded my standard package..... why would we purchase another two 'Drinks Packages'" ??
All of this could have been cleared up at Guest Relations before the end of their cruise had they just asked for a print out of their on board account. Edited by cruisenfever

Especially when the OP says All of this could have been cleared up at Guest Relations before the end of their cruise had they just asked for a print out of their on board account.

You are right it could have been corrected. Especially if the OP was as skeptical as you or I would be. Too much faith that it would be handled correctly.

The OP must be someone who is accustomed to accuracy and efficiency.

Maybe if all customers expected and demanded accuracy and efficiency, instead of defending the company and blaming the passenger whenever there are issues, we would all get better service. Just a thought.

Maybe if all customers expected and demanded accuracy and efficiency, instead of defending the company and blaming the passenger whenever there are issues, we would all get better service. Just a thought.

Your comment would suggest that whenever there are issues, the company is always wrong. Think it through. The OP walked on the ship, said we want free drink packages because we're entitled to it and expected to get said drink packages without any proof they were entitled to it and then claims they never checked to see if they were charged for them. It defies logic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Big_G

Read my first post...... I got on the ship BELIEVING I WAS ENTITLED TO THEM

I think that's your biggest problem. Though, I do sympathize with you somewhat, as it sounds like you inquired multiple times prior to your cruise and just got nebulous answers, like, "we'll check into it and get back to you."

The truth is, you were probably not entitled to them. But they should be able to tell you that, rather than string you along.

well said!

We have found that if we have a cruise booked and a good promo for new bookings only comes out, we have to cancel the original booking and more importantly change our date in order for it to be considered a new booking. A C&A rep suggested this was how to get around the New Booking Only rules.

I did this on a Canada/New England cruise last year in order to save about $1200 and to get some OBC. We just moved our cruise to the following week. We had not yet purchased airfare since it was pretty high and we were waiting for an airfare sale.

They would not transfer the deposit. We had to pay the new deposit and the deposit on the original cruise was quickly refunded. No harm, no foul.

We have found that if we have a cruise booked and a good promo for new bookings only comes out, we have to cancel the original booking and more importantly change our date in order for it to be considered a new booking. A C&A rep suggested this was how to get around the New Booking Only rules.

I did this on a Canada/New England cruise last year in order to save about $1200 and to get some OBC. We just moved our cruise to the following week. We had not yet purchased airfare since it was pretty high and we were waiting for an airfare sale.

They would not transfer the deposit. We had to pay the new deposit and the deposit on the original cruise was quickly refunded. No harm, no foul.

Exactly. This is the only way to take advantage of a "For new bookings only" promo that wasn't available when the cruise was originally booked. You cannot cancel, get a refund on the deposit, and rebook on the same sailing.....that's not considered a new booking.

First off, OP, welcome to Cruise Critic. I hope you're finding it lively enough. ;)

however on the morning of disembarkation we received our ship board account, to find we had been charged $294 for one standard package and $399 for one premium package, unfortunately we had no time to sufficiently query this as we had to disembark.

A few days after arriving home, I contacted RCI customer service's to query my account, and after numerous emails between the ship and customer services, and numerous phone calls between RCI and myself (where invariably) I was left holding for ages, and made promises of return calls which never happened, I was told that RCI had a signed invoice from me for $294 for one standard package and $399 for one premium package, which i categorically did not order, I simply upgraded my standard package..... why would we purchase another two 'Drinks Packages'??

Someone mentioned upthread that trust in invoicing is in inverse proportion to cruising experience. I believe this to be the absolute truth. OP, I am sad you didn't find us before your cruise. You would have known to check your bill before the last day.

You would also have known that it is much easier to get billing disputes fixed onboard.

That said, have you asked them to produce this "signed invoice" you never signed? I would certainly demand to see a scan of it, at least. It would not be the first time some one else's order had accidentally been included on the wrong folio number.

I check my account everyday whether I charge anything or not. How else could you catch erroneous charges if you don't make sure that there is nothing charged to the account?

Mistakes happen and with all the cruises and all the cruisers coming through each ship each day purchasing stuff, there are bound to be errors.

I have gone to guest relations to dispute charges in the past and it was taken care of right away.

It's the same as checking your credit card and bank statements to make sure nothing is charged that you didn't purchase - whether you used the cards, ATM etc or not.

I check my account everyday whether I charge anything or not. How else could you catch erroneous charges if you don't make sure that there is nothing charged to the account?

I'm with you on that. It only takes a couple of minutes to check the online system. It may seem a bit anal to some, but I don't care to ruin my vacation on the last day by standing in the long, snaky line waiting for Customer Relations when it could have been handled days before. But that's just me...

Sometimes reading these threads is like playing the game 'telephone' where the original message gets completely distorted. The OP said RCCL honored and gave him 2 select drink packages. At that point, to me, whether he was supposed to get them or not is a mute point and RCCL did give him those packages. If he wasn't supposed to get them, then RCCL screwed up which is not his fault. Heck, I'd take something for free if it were given to me. The problem is that the OP wanted to upgrade the select to the ultimate package, which RCCL said he could do. He was to pay the difference to upgrade and was then mistakenly charged for 2 Ultimate drink packages. The issue isn't whether or not the OP should have received the select to begin with or not. The company gave them to him!!! I appreciate that perhaps he should have checked his bill before disembarking and possibly catching that he was charged in full for the ultimate packages instead of just the upgrade. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. BUT he didn't!!!! So, in my opinion, RCCL should reimburse the money he was charged for the Ultimate packages and simply keep what he should have paid for his upgrades. Please don't beat me up for my opinion.

Sometimes reading these threads is like playing the game 'telephone' where the original message gets completely distorted. The OP said RCCL honored and gave him 2 select drink packages.

True. That is what the OP said (or at least close to what the OP said). But it may or may not have been what really happened, since the OP got charged for the packages. Did they really agree to give them complimentary packages, or did the OP just think that was what was agreed to? Hard for any of us to know.

Sometimes reading these threads is like playing the game 'telephone' where the original message gets completely distorted. The OP said RCCL honored and gave him 2 select drink packages. At that point, to me, whether he was supposed to get them or not is a mute point and RCCL did give him those packages. If he wasn't supposed to get them, then RCCL screwed up which is not his fault. Heck, I'd take something for free if it were given to me. The problem is that the OP wanted to upgrade the select to the ultimate package, which RCCL said he could do. He was to pay the difference to upgrade and was then mistakenly charged for 2 Ultimate drink packages. The issue isn't whether or not the OP should have received the select to begin with or not. The company gave them to him!!! I appreciate that perhaps he should have checked his bill before disembarking and possibly catching that he was charged in full for the ultimate packages instead of just the upgrade. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. BUT he didn't!!!! So, in my opinion, RCCL should reimburse the money he was charged for the Ultimate packages and simply keep what he should have paid for his upgrades. Please don't beat me up for my opinion.

You are correct. Unfortunately (as far as I can remember), the OP has nothing in writing, nothing except saying "An RCI rep told me 'x'." According to the OP, RCI says they have a signed receipt okaying the charge. So it's a "he said/she said" type of thing.

Yeah. He did admit on page 2 of this thread that he checked his invoice before boarding and the 2 free drink packages weren't on there. Lesson learned----GET IT IN WRITING (email). I'd like to think he didn't lie. I'm sappy that way I guess. RCCL isn't obligated to give something there is no proof that the OP should have received. I think the OP should try to explain it to Customer Service and then call it a day. On that note, I think I'll stick to free water from the buffet in April!:D

To the OP: As a fellow UK cruiser, I am very sorry to hear about the trouble you have had. As someone who has just booked an all-inclusive deal, I will be sure to keep an eye on the charges made on our account during our cruise. Thank you for telling us of your experiences. Despite how some of the users on this forum have made you feel since your posting, you can rest assured that your post has definitely had an impact on me and will definitely keep an eye when I get on board. Hope you get it sorted soon.

I'm also a UK cruiser. Just to let you know that I have this evening received an updated invoice from RCL for an all inclusive cruise I have booked. I have a photo of the offer. They have just added the cost of tips to my cruise despite tips being included in the deal. I am in the process of trying to sort this with them. So yes, keep an eye on your deal!

I'm also a UK cruiser. Just to let you know that I have this evening received an updated invoice from RCL for an all inclusive cruise I have booked. I have a photo of the offer. They have just added the cost of tips to my cruise despite tips being included in the deal. I am in the process of trying to sort this with them. So yes, keep an eye on your deal!

Did you book through a TA if you don't mind my asking?

But I did not expect any onboard charges, so why would i want to check the onboard account? it would be like walking into a supermarket and asking what my bill is before I have purchased anything... nonsensical IMO, however hindsight is a wonderful thing ;)

Look, you've asked questions and you're getting answers.

So why would you check the onboard account?

Because it's basic common sense. Nothing more, nothing less. You failed to do this and because of this, you do not wish to have any accountability. I'm not sure who has the overall responsibility for your fiasco, but there is no doubt that you have some responsibility. Spending a week on the ship and then leaving when you knew there was an issue w/o attempting to have it resolved is a problem for you, created by you.

Sorry so blunt, but it is what it is. You should have checked your account and you should have corrected it on board instead of bailing on your responsibility because the line was too long.

How were the drinks?

Look, you've asked questions and you're getting answers.

So why would you check the onboard account?

Because it's basic common sense. Nothing more, nothing less. You failed to do this and because of this, you do not wish to have any accountability. I'm not sure who has the overall responsibility for your fiasco, but there is no doubt that you have some responsibility. Spending a week on the ship and then leaving when you knew there was an issue w/o attempting to have it resolved is a problem for you, created by you.

Sorry so blunt, but it is what it is. You should have checked your account and you should have corrected it on board instead of bailing on your responsibility because the line was too long.

How were the drinks?

If ever you needed a post that encapsulates completely why people stop posting on this forum, it's this one. So unnecessary. This is a discussion forum, not a place for regular "in the know" cruisers to flame those who didn't know better at the time...

Did you book through a TA if you don't mind my asking?

I booked online with Royal Caribbean. I am wondering whether they need to add the tips in order to then add the deal, if you see what I mean. I've emailed them about it, attaching the photo of the original deal offer.

I booked online with Royal Caribbean. I am wondering whether they need to add the tips in order to then add the deal, if you see what I mean. I've emailed them about it, attaching the photo of the original deal offer.

If it helps, our TA said that they (ROyal Caribbean) would send us an immediate invoice with the tips included in the price and then about two-three weeks later we would get an amended invoice. We are due to chase it up actually so thanks for the reminder...

If it helps, our TA said that they (ROyal Caribbean) would send us an immediate invoice with the tips included in the price and then about two-three weeks later we would get an amended invoice. We are due to chase it up actually so thanks for the reminder...

That's interesting. Perhaps another one is on its way soon. Thanks

I also had to call RCI after my invoice was issued for the same reason. The gratuities were supposed to be included but were still showing on the invoice. After calling they removed mine but left them showing on my husbands account and so I had to call again. Eventually the new invoice was correct. But I will be double checking my final invoice before final payment.