Obnoxious all-consuming "YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED!!!" pop-up when signing into CC

jeph

Never heard that one and I have taught IT for 20 years.

Generally, it is not good practice to run two different anti-virus programs at the same time.

I run Avast anti-virus (free); uBlock ad-blocker and the Windows firewall at the same time. I run a weekly scan with Malwarebytes and have (touch wood) never had a problem.

I was quite surprised that the IT tech removed Spybot, as it was installed by a different IT tech. I had a private IT guy, but he passed away a few months ago, so now need to use Staples or Best Buy IT geeks. Everyone that has ever worked on my computer over the last 10 years has their own preference as to anti-virus and ad-blocker software. I would have no idea how to install all these various things you talk about. I'm really going to have a problem in 2 months when my Kaspersky runs out. Thanks for your info.

I had the same problem about 6amPST. During the day, it only happens when I go to this website for the first time. I don't touch anything and immediately turn my computer off and all is well when I go back to CruiseCritic. The problem is gone for the day only to appear the next morning when I turn my computer back on.

I have Adblock Plus and Norton with Chrome as my browser and Windows 7. 12 ads are blocked right now. I get no ads or pop-ups on CC and have not had a problem.

I also run CCleaner from time to time and Malwarebytes anti-malware.

I also had strange pop-ups (won a prize?) yesterday and this evening. On my pc and tablet. Hopefully I didn't get a virus 😟

I've gotten that prize announcement three times this week. I didn't claim the prize even the first time since I figured it might be a virus link.

Off topic, but related scam. I had a phone call a few days ago. Very excited person with SE Asian accent: " You have a problem with windows!" I patiently explained to him that we had recently had all of our windows washed and I was sure that they were fine. He tried to convince me that he knew of a problem I hadn't detected, but I assured him that my window washers are quite professional, and offered to give him their name and address. He hung up. I later checked my computer (iMac) and tablet (iPad) and phone ( iPhone), and confirmed that none of them had been transmogrified into Windows machines. He must have confused me with someone else.[emoji57]

They do not have you confused. Lots of us get that call. Now I tell them I do not have a computer and they hang up. i think it is a scam to either get money for 'repairing' your computer or for giving you a download virus.

• Administrators

Hello Everyone:

I think I pinpointed the rogue ad being served and had it blocked late yesterday (Monday) afternoon.

It is now Tuesday 11:24 am; if you are experiencing issues after this timeframe please write to help@cruisecritic.com and be as specific as possible.

We apologize for any inconvenience,

Laura

• Administrators

HELLO AGAIN,

I see that some of you are reporting the issue today. I want you to know that we aren't running an ad of this nature on the site. But, what we do need to know is what ad is causing the issue. So, if you can provide us with a url or a screenshot of what you see....or what ad is running on the page you are on....please write to help@cruisecritic.com with the info. We want to fix this but we need more info as we aren't the ones who have programmed the ad on the site.

Laura

HELLO AGAIN,

I see that some of you are reporting the issue today. I want you to know that we aren't running an ad of this nature on the site. But, what we do need to know is what ad is causing the issue. So, if you can provide us with a url or a screenshot of what you see....or what ad is running on the page you are on....please write to help@cruisecritic.com with the info. We want to fix this but we need more info as we aren't the ones who have programmed the ad on the site.

Laura

Have sent email with hopefully some info. As original poster said that is what happened to me.

glad to hear this wasn't just a problem that I was experiencing. While I don't get the pop-ups, I do get a message from our anti-virus program that they have blocked attempts. This week was the first time I noticed such messages coming up while on CC

Marianne

Have any Apple users had this show up? Just curious. I have my MacBook Pro and use Safari for my browser. No issues at all. I have been stuck at home sick for the past few days, so I've been browsing CC multiple times/day to keep from going stir crazy.

I do run an adblocker. I know that the large majority of the hacks that affect the PC world do not affect the Apple world.

I haven't seen it, and I use Macs almost exclusively. I also use Firefox with AdBlockPlus coupled with NoScript, so I don't see much that I don't want to. If I'm at home, I'm usually reading these forums with Tapatalk on my iPad, and again, no problems there.

My husband just did get this issue on his PC when trying to log in to the Sirius XM site the other day, so it's not just CC getting targeted with this hijacking ad right now.

Just heard one of those military talking heads on CNN say this in reference to the ongoing struggle against ISIL:

"It's like the world's biggest game of Whack-A-Mole!"

Thanks again to everyone for all the useful info & suggestions...

Edited by jeph

Off topic, but related scam. I had a phone call a few days ago. Very excited person with SE Asian accent: " You have a problem with windows!" I patiently explained to him that we had recently had all of our windows washed and I was sure that they were fine. He tried to convince me that he knew of a problem I hadn't detected, but I assured him that my window washers are quite professional, and offered to give him their name and address. He hung up. I later checked my computer (iMac) and tablet (iPad) and phone ( iPhone), and confirmed that none of them had been transmogrified into Windows machines. He must have confused me with someone else.[emoji57]

Given that the aim of these people is to a) infect your computer with malware and b) scam you into giving them $200 or so, I have no compulsion at all with telling them -quite rudely- exactly what they are. :mad: