Very different expectations!

I just read critic17s review and I must say that it's very interesting to see how different peoples expectations can be!

I can't say that he/she is wrong because I wasn't on that cruise but how they got the expectations they had, I really can't understand!!!

Where had they seen that the Haven should be adults only? Or the same butler all the time? (I guess that butlers don't have to sleep, ever.) Or healthy food available all the time?

We loved our Haven-experience on the Breakaway!!!

You could have included a link to said review so that others could easily see it too.

Yes I could but there is a review section so anyone can assume that the review is there to find if they want to read it!

I only said that expectations are very different and paople can agree or disagree with that without reading the review.

I don't think that it's needed but here is a link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=507081

Edited by sverigecruiser

Yes I could but there is a review section so anyone can assume that the review is there to find if they want to read it!

I only said that expectations are very different and paople can agree or disagree with that without reading the review.

Since you pinpointed that exact member/review in your original post, it is very relevant to the discussion. Also, people post reviews in two places here and especially here between discussions finding one can be a tedious process so that is why a link is simply a courteous thing to do.

What comes to the review discussed here, after reading it I can understand where they are coming from - most of their grievances are things that are different on f.ex. Celebrity that they mentioned cruised with at the end.

It mainly boils down to assuming things would be the same on a different cruise line - in other words not doing their research properly. On the other hand, they have been on Epic so probably at that time they had a non-Haven cabin.

I have seen some complaints on the lack of change in the Haven Menu.

MSC's Yacht Club changes dinner menu's every night, while leaving a set core of everyday offerings.

Why they only would eat in the Haven is their problem, if that is what they did.

Vegetarians have also mentioned the lack of choices, not just in the Haven.

They seemed to think the Haven is some sort of high priced, adults only, exclusive enclave with 5 star service. They didn't feel they got their monies worth.

And plenty of members on this board don't want children anywhere they are.

I think for a certain mindset this review might just be spot on even if extreme to those whose expectations are different.

I just read critic17s review and I must say that it's very interesting to see how different peoples expectations can be!

I can't say that he/she is wrong because I wasn't on that cruise but how they got the expectations they had, I really can't understand!!!

Where had they seen that the Haven should be adults only? Or the same butler all the time? (I guess that butlers don't have to sleep, ever.) Or healthy food available all the time?

We loved our Haven-experience on the Breakaway!!!

I thought the company was a bit excessive but honestly I too at first thought that heaven was a child free atmosphere, but all they had to do was simply do what I did and that's ask if children are allowed I mean its not a big deal if they are allowed but why promote it as a quiet atmosphere is children are going to be there lol.

I always take out the extremes when I read reviews. People who absolutely LOVED everything with no specifics and those that hate everything and all the food is inedible.

This review is like the later. He lost all credibility with the butler complaint. I guess he wants a European robot that doesn't need to sleep.

BTW- I remember checking out the Haven photos and they do have a photo of a family, so another poster was correct that this person didn't do his homework.

I thought the company was a bit excessive but honestly I too at first thought that heaven was a child free atmosphere, but all they had to do was simply do what I did and that's ask if children are allowed I mean its not a big deal if they are allowed but why promote it as a quiet atmosphere is children are going to be there lol.

Lots of childrens are not loud and lots of adults are loud so if it's adults only or not may not change if the Haven has a quite atmosphere.

I agree that it's probably louder when there are lots of children in the Haven but childfree is no guarantee for a quite atmosphere.

Yes they should have done some research. I kind of agree about the Haven restaurant menu. It is limited and static and we usually only go there once when we arrive on board for lunch and maybe one evening for this very reason.

As for the children in Haven, well NCL are in it for the money so if parents want to pay the $ then NCL are not about to turn it down. Perhaps they could make the raised deck child free? Personally I'd love it to be adults only but I would never expect it. I suppose the Vibe Beach Club would have been a better bet for them.

No point in getting stressed about stuff like this once on board though. Just live and learn and make the best of all the good stuff.

:eek::eek::eek: Clearly he did no research and just showed up.

When NCL put in 2 bed cabins they expected and planed on kids. They are perfect for families. They are not 2 master suite rooms. One bedroom is clearly a master and one a kids room. Perfect for families

There are lots of people who can afford Haven and have kids. I have no idea what would make someone think Haven was only for adults. The spa yes only adults, Vibe yes only for adults. Haven no sorry.

There are so many different restaurant choices why would you want to eat at the same place every night? I just don't get that. Once you figured out the menu was the same go someplace else.

Yes they should have done some research. I kind of agree about the Haven restaurant menu. It is limited and static and we usually only go there once when we arrive on board for lunch and maybe one evening for this very reason.

I agree that the menu is limited but they have a new special every night which is usually very tasty. They can also serve anything from the main diningrooms and from O'Sheehan's in the Havenrestaurant so even if the menu is limited the choices are many.

I agree that the menu is limited but they have a new special every night which is usually very tasty. They can also serve anything from the main diningrooms and from O'Sheehan's in the Havenrestaurant so even if the menu is limited the choices are many.

Maybe not very tasty to a vegetarian?

Fewer choices for a vegetarian as well. :cool:

Maybe not very tasty to a vegetarian?

Fewer choices for a vegetarian as well. :cool:

Let's assume the reviewer never told NCL he was a vegetarian. From 40yrs of being one and speaking up it isn't a problem to have something filling and tasty when you do that.

It can also be difficult for a kitchen to know what kind of vegetarian you are. Dairy? Vegan? Etc. I have to tell them my bounds as well as my presences, because just because you're vegetarian doesn't mean you like all veggies, etc. :rolleyes:

I haven't read the review but my experience is often different from others when reading reviews. Yes, reviews are meant to give an objective view on a person's experience, but often people have unrealistic views. I know when we did our April cruise on the Pearl we were happy with our experience. Yes, the noro virus had dampered the cruise and we had to put up with a lot of inconveniences, but when I read the reviews on that cruise I want to cringe. The restrictions were put in place for a reason, it was an pain in the butt, but that wasn't the fault of NCL or the Pearl crew and God Knows they were not any happier than we were. Other than that we thought it was a good cruise.

Now I have taken time to read the reviews: wow, the reviewer certainly had misgivings when it came to the Haven. Our daughter, granddaughter and her daughter, plus a couple of friends had a Haven suite in Feb. Our great granddaughter was 7 at the time. Everyone had a great time, loved the haven and are now spoiled they say. I am not talking about newby cruisers either: our daughter has cruised over 30 times, on all mass marketed lines and a couple luxury ones.

Someone like the reviewer needs to have a better understanding about what to expect, and as for kids: for heavens sake it is summer break, all cruises, most lines and all distinations are going to be packed with kids and families.

No health foods, it is a vacation and there are always plenty of healthy options, I don't care where you are on the ship. They may not be 100% healthy, but there are always things that are healthier than other things. As for the same items for breakfast and lunch daily, that is a complaint others have about the specialty dining offered to suite residents and it is legit I think. As for various vegetarian choices, I am sure there are not as many as some would like, but cruise lines, like restaurants can only do so much. Vegetarians are still a very small minority and there are only so many special foods that will be offered.

Edited by newmexicoNita

The reviewer's expectations were not met, however, had they done any prior research on what they were buying, they would have known that their expectations were unrealistic, at least for NCL.

Thank you for posting the link - I to had no idea what review you were talking about... here are my thoughts after reading the review:

I had no idea the haven was not child free - since I will never travel in the haven (way beyond my budget), unless it was an upgrade that was given to me - I have not researched it, but for some reason, I also thought the haven had an adult only area. My fault for thinking that, but it is what it is.

If I was going to do a haven suite, I would research it and find out differently before going, so that is the cruisers fault, not the cruise ship's fault.

As for healthy foods. I am cruising next week. I am in a suite and I plan on asking our butler for healthy snacks each afternoon - veggies and fruit and cheese/crackers. I have already arranged for a scale for our suite, so I can make sure I keep an eye on my weight - what I am saying is if you want healthy food, you can find it - no matter where you are. Chefs are very accommodating if you tell them you need certain foods cooked a certain way. This poster "could" have done the same thing - since he does have the haven concierge - he should have enlisted him/her to help them during the cruise. The concierge could have gotten them to the correct person to talk to about meals. This one is on the cruiser, not the cruise line.

For the pool area, and having a covering - not sure what he could have done about that one, or the shallowness of the pool, again, this is simply research - I do not use a pool on a cruise ship - but I would also "expect" that the pool could be used for swimming - maybe this one is on the cruise line(?) - if you call it a swimming pool, you "should" be able to "swim" in it. If not, call it a wading pool.

All in all, I think the reviewer did several things wrong that could have corrected their week if they had wanted to - that being said, I am sorry they had a bad cruise - I had a bad cruise out of Galveston on Carnival - I chalked it up to experience and continued cruising - its all in the attitude.

I would also like to know the age of the reviewer. My dad is 86 years old, and last year at WDW he asked at a park restaurant to please be seated away from the kids - the hostess laughed at him and said - Sir, this is Disney World, there is no area that doesn't have kids - Perhaps this reviewer is an older person that would rather be away from kids? Age sometimes can be a consideration when cruising also.

Edited by Imalismom

Perhaps this reviewer is an older person that would rather be away from kids? Age sometimes can be a consideration when cruising also.

Oh you can't assume this by age, plenty of people of all ages want to be away from kids.

why they go on cruiselines that cater to families...LIKE NCL :rolleyes:

and don't go on adult only ships or cruises that want the drunk, noisy party crowd... ;)

I thought the review was hilarious ... and clearly by someone who did ZERO research once he/she booked what I assume was a Spa Suite in The Haven.

First, the fact that there are Haven staterooms named "2 Bedroom FAMILY Villas" should have been a clue that there *might* be children around.

Second, my impression of the Haven Courtyard from the photos I've seen of it is that it's a fairly small, covered area with a glorified plunge pool. IMO, it looks perfectly claustrophobia- inducing, but YMMV, of course. If I were inclined to sit by a pool, I think I'd seek out some adults-only area ... since there are those on the ship!

Third, reading any reviews of Haven suites turns up plenty of reviews by parents about either being delighted that the butler kept their tots supplied with an unending stream of M&Ms and gummi bears or being irritated that -- despite their explicit requests -- the butler kept their tots supplied with an unending stream of M&Ms and gummi bears. Two things you'd learn: one -- there are kids in the Haven; and two -- the butlers are junk-food dealers. I'm sure a request for fruit, cheese and other snacks would be honored as much as possible, but hey, the kids and the candy are there.

Fourth -- there is also plenty of discussion about people racing to the spa to buy those Spa Passes on embarkation day. Again -- a half hour of research may save a week's worth of disappointment.

I was glad that we was able to book a suite on the Pearl for next year that isn't in The Haven, as we want the space of a suite, but the Haven "extras" just aren't things we'd use. I find it weird that most of the balconies in Haven rooms are so tiny. Maybe they assume you'd use the "private shared" space ... but we'd prefer "private personal" outdoor space any day.

All I could picture when I read that review was Goldie Hawn's character in 'Overboard'...the way she was at the beginning. [emoji12]

Seriously, though, reading is fundamental, and as long as people insist on doing absolutely no research and instead just make assumptions, there will always be reviews like that. Some people are so relaxed and go-with-the-flow that they don't research and are completely cool with everything that happens. If you know you're not that person, a little knowledge goes a long way toward a great vacation!

As for healthy foods. I am cruising next week. I am in a suite and I plan on asking our butler for healthy snacks each afternoon - veggies and fruit and cheese/crackers. I have already arranged for a scale for our suite, so I can make sure I keep an eye on my weight - what I am saying is if you want healthy food, you can find it - no matter where you are.

My suite came with a bathroom scale automatically. I thought that was mean.

My suite came with a bathroom scale automatically. I thought that was mean.

LOL!! Maybe it is there automatically - I sent an email asking if I could get one (if not I was going to bring one), and they answered saying one would be there for me. I have lost 65 pounds (have about 15 more to go for my goal), and I want to make sure I am at least maintaining on the cruise, and if not adjust what I am eating so I can maintain.