I made a costly mistake

bigenna

The last day to cancel without penalties for most US bookings (unless you have a non-refundable deposit) is the day final payment is due. If you don't pay it, the system cancels you just after midnight the NEXT day... when you're in the penalty period.

But definitely try calling Princess, they might show you mercy! :-)

Do not assume that your TA did not know about the other cruise.

When a TA looks at your record, he/she can see all that you have booked, not just the one with the TA.

I don't know how a TA could "look at your record" unless they are going into your cruise personalizer. I would think they'd be too busy to poke around looking for stuff.

A year or 2 ago, we booked a Princess cruise. Later on, we found princess.com had cheaper price on the same category. We called Princess to reduce the fee. We were warned that the cheaper cruise deposit is non refundable.

Yes there are promos that have non refundable deposits from the minute you book.

When booking, always ask if the deposit is refundable. A refundable rate is sometimes a bit more expensive, but worth it.

A refundable deposit is only refunded if you cancel prior to the full payment date. If you ignore it and just let it sit, you lose the deposit.

When a TA looks at your record, he/she can see all that you have booked, not just the one with the TA.

Sorry, Bill, that's not correct. Agents, for the most part, use Princess' Polar On-Line to book and access their bookings (either that or Travel Port Cruise & Tour, which is another agent booking engine). In order to access a booking, the agent has to put in the correct booking/confirmation number, and even then only bookings made by that agency will come up. If an incorrect booking number, or the booking number of a booking made at a different agency or directly with Princess, is entered, it will give the agent an error message.

The only way a TA can see a booking that they didn't make is to access it through the Cruise Personalizer using the client's name, birthdate and booking number. Without the booking number, it's a no go.

Princess ended up giving back my deposit after I fully explained I was given no caution from their agent when I called and booked this cruise and also already had the other TA booking. I asked if they could please do something for me and I would be very careful about this situation in the future.

Her supervisor did end up authorizing the return of my FCD's.

The agent said they allowed this because, even though it was to be paid in full by July 6th or it would be cancelled, the cruise was still showing on my personalizer the day I called so they would make an exception.

Don't care what the reason, I am just very grateful that they accommodated me.

Yes, I will make sure to never, ever forget to call and cancel before final payment is due.

Princess ended up giving back my deposit after I fully explained I was given no caution from their agent when I called and booked this cruise and also already had the other TA booking. I asked if they could please do something for me and I would be very careful about this situation in the future.

The agent said they allowed this because, even though it was to be paid in full by July 6th or it would be cancelled, the cruise was still showing on my personalizer the day I called so they would make an exception.

Yes, I will make sure to never, ever forget to call and cancel before final payment is due.

Great news.

Yea - a great outcome!

Yes, I am one very happy cruiser.

Thanks to all of you who responded with such positive encouragement.

BTW, the deposit was a refundable one. It became non refundable only after final payment was due.

Edited by bigenna

Princess ended up giving back my deposit after I fully explained I was given no caution from their agent when I called and booked this cruise and also already had the other TA booking.

This was a good outcome for you, and a good reminder for everyone.

I had been trying to decide between two cruises this fall.

I decided to book them both a few months ago and make a decision closer to final payment. One through a call to Princess myself, explaining what I was doing. The other through my travel agent, so did not know about the other cruise.

Made my decision and informed my travel agent a few days ago to go ahead and pay my cruise and air in full.

Now for the costly error. I assumed that if I did not cancel the other cruise, when final payment came due yesterday it would simply get cancelled and the deposit I made with my future cruise deposits would be put back.

Today I noticed that it was still showing even though a notice said that if not paid in full by July 6th, yesterday, it would be cancelled.

I decided to call Princess and was told that now that the date has passed that my deposit was non refundable. Hard lesson to learn.

Call Customer Service...You have nothing to lose and we will see how classy Princess is. In my instance I wanted to book a 14 day cruse...balconies were not available but were available if I booked two back to back with the same itinerary. Military credit is worth $250 for 14 days and 200 for two seven day cruises (which by the way I am very grateful for) They gave us and our traveling companions four speciality restaurant credits to more then make up for the difference...Awesome customer service and compensation.

[quote name='bigenna']Yes, I am one very happy cruiser.
Thanks to all of you who responded with such positive encouragement.

BTW, the deposit was a refundable one. It became non refundable only after final payment was due.[/quote]

Very happy for you!! I hope you have a great time on your cruise.:):):)

Tony

[quote name='lukesgrammie']Call Customer Service...You have nothing to lose and we will see how classy Princess is. In my instance I wanted to book a 14 day cruse...balconies were not available but were available if I booked two back to back with the same itinerary. Military credit is worth $250 for 14 days and 200 for two seven day cruises (which by the way I am very grateful for) They gave us and our traveling companions four speciality restaurant credits to more then make up for the difference...Awesome customer service and compensation.[/QUOTE]

The OP already did and received her money back.