Cotton candy and caramel apples

Now that dessert extravaganzas have been discontinued, are caramel apples and cotton candy ever available? They were so good and a nice change from the traditional desserts.

We did not see either on the Maasdam last week. KK we had a conversation with the Canaletto manager about the "old days" and all laughed about how odd it was that they used to have cotton candy. He said they were glad to see it gone as apparently the machine was very high maintenance.

Cotton candy is really finicky. It's very difficult to make and keep under humid conditions. It sort of conceals into a hard, spun sugar "glump."

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of years ago we were on the Amsterdam on a 14 day Alaskan cruise.

I wanted to show my new bar friends how to make a Cotton Candy Martini so I went to the Canelletto and asked if they still served Cotton Candy. They told me that the still had the machine but were waiting for a part to repair it.

This sent me on a quest at every port looking for cotton candy. I finally found one bag of it in a little general store in Homer of all places.

That evening the bartender in the Ocean Bar allowed my DH to pour our friends Cotton Candy Martinis. DH is ambidextrious and was quite impressive pouring two at a time :)

Rockfan2

Edited by Rockfan2

Last summer we kept an eye out for the caramel or chocolate-covered apples. They appeared only once on our 24 night cruise. I want to recall it was at a Late Night Snack, but I'm not certain. There were a number of passengers asking for them, according to a steward in the Lido, so it may have been in response to that.

Good luck . . . now I'm hungry!!!:)

Krazy Kruizers,

It was the Nieuw Amsterdam. We got really spoiled on the Westerdam in the summer of 2010, where they were available nearly every day . . . oh, my! Yes, they were good, especially the ones with white chocolate! :)