book tours through ship on on our own?

konalee

Depends on the tour. In Juneau, my husband and I wanted a tour that ended at 5:30 pm. ... same time as all-aboard. Being a ship's tour, we knew we would have no problem 'making it back to the ship in time.'

Also recommend that if you do the train in Skagway that you also book through the ship. I know for a fact that a bus can break down on the way back from Whitehorse. Happened to friends of ours.

Other than that, it is pretty much up to you and what you want to see and do.

In Alaska we try to book independent where possible. On occasion we have booked through the ship, in certain ports elsewhere where time is tight etc. If there is a ship tour that is the same price as independent or very close we will book through the ship.

We also try to book independent tours but depending upon what you are planning, with 10 of you in your party, this could be a challenge particularly if you are thinking of booking at the time of arrival. However, I would be inclined to sit down with my group, make up a list of what you want to do and see then start making inquiries of independent operators.

Also recommend that if you do the train in Skagway that you also book through the ship. I know for a fact that a bus can break down on the way back from Whitehorse. Happened to friends of ours.

There aren't any tours that go to Whitehorse. :confused: Maybe you meant Carcross. Even so, I can't recall ever hearing a report of someone missing a ship due to a bus breaking down in Skagway. Besides, the independent vendors like Chilkoot are SO MUCH better than the big cruise line tours that I would never consider booking the ship tour!

I think it depends on how much time you have in each port. On a short day, it's probably best to do a ships' tour, just to play it safe - unless you are just walking around the town. But on long days, I would be inclined to do independent tours - especially in Juneau. We picked up a whale watching tour there two weeks ago for $115 pp and it was fabulous. The ship was getting much more for the same thing. Six years ago, I booked a plane tour in Juneau on line and saved about $100 pp.

Edited by mek

Not sure what your point is. The WP&YRR makes hundreds of trips every year during the cruise season and carries upwards of 400,000 passengers. All trains carry passengers who have booked through their cruise line and as all Alaskan ports are just hours away from each other the ships wait in the event of a train delay....which does not very often occur.

I would first question the reason, all 10 have to tour together? (if doing so?) They are not at all likely to have the same interests. I always suggest splitting up.

It is simple to book either way. If you are attracted to the theme, although false, of being more "safe" taking a ship tour, then do so. Over many many years, you consistently, NEVER see reports of independent vendors being the cause of people missing cruise ships.

There are NO, 100% guarantees with with either booking.