Gift Card Question

jc4me

I purchased some cards through AARP, thanks to someone posting their availability on CC. I have paid for my cruises and have some money left over. I attempted to make some Fun Shop purchases online, but it seems they only offer the ability to pay for those via credit card. Can you pre-pay for shore excursions with a gift card? If I understand correctly you can pre-pay gratuities with gift cards, but only onboard. Thanks for your help!

jc4me

Yes you can you pre-pay for shore excursions with a gift card.

You can also pre pay gratuities with gift cards before sailing by calling Carnival directly and provide the representative with you booking information and they will process that order on the phone. It only takes a few minutes.

You should be able to. I have never done it. But for shore excursions just take the cards with money left on them with you and have them applied to your account (at Guest Services or at a Kiosk) Then the gift money will offset the cost of the excursion once its applied to your S&S account.

The only thing you can't use gift cards for is bon voyage purchases. Shore excursions, obc, or to pay on your cruise you're good. And as previously posted, you can pre-pay your gratuities by calling Carnival. You load your cards for obc once you board at guest services or using a kiosk.

Can I just say I LOVE the gift cards?!? I've bought 4 $500 to apply to out B2B, so a savings of $200 off our cruise. I also bought 2 $100 cards to apply to our S&S card, so $20 off that bill. My plan is to get 4 more $500's for an additional $200 off our cruise.

• 2 months later...
I bought gift cards to pay for Cheers for our upcoming cruise. Do I need to apply them to our s&s account before we purchase Cheers?

We've done this on our last few cruises. Yes, you need to take them to Guest Services and have them applied to your account before purchasing Cheers UNLESS you have a credit card on file too. If so, you can get Cheers before visiting GS. I only open cash accounts so until my gift cards are applied, my S&S card comes up as inactive.

We've done this on our last few cruises. Yes, you need to take them to Guest Services and have them applied to your account before purchasing Cheers UNLESS you have a credit card on file too. If so, you can get Cheers before visiting GS. I only open cash accounts so until my gift cards are applied, my S&S card comes up as inactive.

When you are checked in at the pier, can you use the GC then?

When you are checked in at the pier, can you use the GC then?

I wasn't able too. I didn't have the gc's that were mailed, mine were emailed so I had printed copies and the lady checking us in had no idea how to deal with them. I've used them the last 3 cruises and had them applied at GS each time after boarding.

Now that AARP and Verizon do not show the gift cards at all, I don't have access to the rules.

Is it correct that if you book your cruise through a travel agent you cannot use the gift cards to pay for it? Could you use them to apply as OBC (if cruise was booked through a travel agent?)

Thanks!

From what I understand, most TA's do take the GC's. It is the Gift "Certificates" that has to be used directly through the cruise line.

If booked through a TA I would call first to make sure your TA does take them.

If your TA does not take them, they can be applied for obc on your S & S card once you board the ship.

Edited by ready2cruzagain