Can you hotspot with the wifi?

And this worked all over the ship from the Setup in your cabin???

No, this setup is only good for having multiple devices connected at once in the stateroom, while only paying for one. As I believe has already been pointed out, there is no way to get more coverage than that out of a hotspot. A ship is the worst possible environment for transmitting wifi signals. That's why it takes hundreds of wifi access points on a ship the size of Oasis to enable wifi throughout the ship.

Yes, no Problem at all.

Or pay for the two device unlimited plan and you can have as many as two devices logged in at the same time. In fact a few times on the Oasis I had three devices logged in.

All this tech stuff is cool, but in the big scheme of things why not just pay the $100 or so for unlimited WiFi for two devices?

Or pay for the two device unlimited plan and you can have as many as two devices logged in at the same time. In fact a few times on the Oasis I had three devices logged in.

All this tech stuff is cool, but in the big scheme of things why not just pay the $100 or so for unlimited WiFi for two devices?

Why should I pay for more than one? I´m usually having three devices, but as travelling solo I´m never using more than one at a time.

I never log off actively. When I log in with the second device the first one gets logged off. Quite easy and no Need for me to pay for a second one.

Verizon has an app you can download they are advertising when I checked on the cruise plan for our iPhones called. Verizon wi fi connect. It will look and automatically connect to international hotspots for you. At least that is what it looks like it does. I cruise in two weeks

Why should I pay for more than one? I´m usually having three devices, but as travelling solo I´m never using more than one at a time.

I never log off actively. When I log in with the second device the first one gets logged off. Quite easy and no Need for me to pay for a second one.

Exactly! I think people don't realize that the number of devices in the plans refers to the number of devices allowed to log on at the same time, not the number of such items in your personal tech inventory onboard. We usually have 4-5 devices traveling with us, but we only log in one at a time - sometimes a laptop, sometimes the iPad, sometimes an iPhone, but only one at a time. Thus the one device plan works for us too.

Judy

Verizon has an app you can download they are advertising when I checked on the cruise plan for our iPhones called. Verizon wi fi connect. It will look and automatically connect to international hotspots for you. At least that is what it looks like it does. I cruise in two weeks

ATT has a similar app but only connects to ATT international hotspots. The Verizon app says it finds and connects to "select" wifi hotspots meaning there may not be a lot of choices. The biggest complaint I've heard with the ATT app is it uses up a lot of your international data finding those hotspots. You might want to watch for that with the Veruzon app.

I never log off actively. When I log in with the second device the first one gets logged off.

Some ships don't work that way anymore. I've seen it refuse to log in if the maximum has been reached.

Does not work on freedom and enchantment i can tell you. I forgot to log out of one device and had to walk back to the cabin to log out and use the new device. Just got off less than a month ago on freedom and 10 days ago on enchantment.

Thanks. We are a family of iPhone users. I don't know if you can answer this. Can you turn off the "Instant Message" (IM) feature on iPhones so that you don't need to rely on the internet? I notice that when I have my cellular service turned off (only do this if I'm about to run out of data for the month), I can't send texts to those with iPhones b/c it's defaulting to IM, which uses data/internet. Can I switch all of our phones to SMS texting only? Then I can use the Verizon plan you gave (I am a Verizon customer obviously).

I can handle buying two internet accounts from RCCL, since we can handle only two people using data at a time, but we rely so heavily on texting each other, which gives my kids a little more freedom. I need to call Verizon and get some clarification too. Thanks for posting this.

YES! We are all iPhone users too... If you go to Settings, Message, you can turn off iMessage. All messages sent now are SMS.

We do it a little different. We buy the internet package and turn off Cellular Data. Everyone we need to communicate with has iMessage or we e-mail or Facebook. That way, we are relying strictly on the ships wi-fi and not cellular.

"Traveling solo", well that answers the question doesn't it. If there are more than one person in your party you want to stay in touch with or who might want to access the WiFi at the same time.

I shared my log on and PW with my niece who had to do some studying and test for college. So that way we could both be logged on at the same time.

It was cheaper that way than getting two single device plans.

When you switch off wifi and mobile data an I phone will send text messages as sms. The first time it tries it may say message failed to send as it is following on from previous messages and trying to send it as a blue I message. If this happens double click on the message as it is trying to send and one of the options is send as text message. The phone will then automatically send green text messages until you turn mobile data or wifi back on.

When you switch off wifi and mobile data an I phone will send text messages as sms. The first time it tries it may say message failed to send as it is following on from previous messages and trying to send it as a blue I message. If this happens double click on the message as it is trying to send and one of the options is send as text message. The phone will then automatically send green text messages until you turn mobile data or wifi back on.

Thank you. I did not know that.

• 1 year later...

Just off the Anthem. We were able to share the internet connection on several devices at the same time using a Wifi Hotspot / Router. I do not want to say the name of the router used as the IT department might block its Mac address. I purchased it for less then $25 on Amazon. Took seconds to set up using the app it came with and then we all logged on. Shared internet between 2 cabins and six people with decent signal. Speed was on 3MGB but it was fast enough. Message me and I will tell you which one worked. I will even sell you mine as I dont need it anymore.

Others have reported being able to do this and mentioned specific brands/models. RCI IT has way too many other issues to worry about than block a WiFi hot spot. While it may work reasonably on Anthem, performance on ships without O3B may suffer once more than a couple of people get on.

The thing is, you can't just use a wifi repeater. A repeater simply resends the same wifi signal already around you on the same network. This means the second device would still need to log in into Voom and the servers would still need to have the phones' Mac addresses whitelisted.

What you'd need is a router that acts like a personal network. A sub network that's different than the ship's network, but accesses the ship's internet. It would need to take the internet data from the ship's network and resend it as its own personal network. So the Voom servers only see one IP and Mac address at a time.

There are some travel routers out there that can do this and were designed for those hotels that only allow a small number of devices online at once, like some Vegas hotels. Some office buildings are like this, too. Many personal home routers can do this as well with a few system setting changes, but are not really designed to connect to the internet via a log in screen.

• 3 months later...
The thing is, you can't just use a wifi repeater. A repeater simply resends the same wifi signal already around you on the same network. This means the second device would still need to log in into Voom and the servers would still need to have the phones' Mac addresses whitelisted.

What you'd need is a router that acts like a personal network. A sub network that's different than the ship's network, but accesses the ship's internet. It would need to take the internet data from the ship's network and resend it as its own personal network. So the Voom servers only see one IP and Mac address at a time.

There are some travel routers out there that can do this and were designed for those hotels that only allow a small number of devices online at once, like some Vegas hotels. Some office buildings are like this, too. Many personal home routers can do this as well with a few system setting changes, but are not really designed to connect to the internet via a log in screen.

The D-Link DIR-510L is a portable WiFi router that will take the ship's WiFi and allow you to share it with your other devices. It Is specifically designed to connect to "walled garden" type connections where you have to log into a web page first in order to access the internet. I used it on a cruise ship last year, it worked great but was a little buggy and required a reboot once in a while.

For anyone reading this thread, if you have a laptop with the latest version of Win 10, you can set it up as a WiFi hot spot without needing anything else:

http://winsupersite.com/creators-update/quick-tip-how-turn-your-windows-10-creators-update-device-wi-fi-hotspot

Thanks (great site!) - basically solves my problem of how to keep the rest of my devices connected when I'm back in the cabin using my wifi login on my laptop. And if you (like I) keep delaying/snoozing the requests to update and you are wondering if you already have it installed, you can check by following the link below:

http://pureinfotech.com/check-windows-10-creators-update-installed/

Edited by WestfieldTraveler
typos

Just to clarify... on using a repeater or wifi router...

CAN they detect it? Yes, if they chose.

Is it against the rules? Unknown, unless someone can provide documentation on way or the other.

Do they stop it from working? At the moment it sounds like a NO. Depends on how many people abuse it, I guess.

Just to clarify... on using a repeater or wifi router...

CAN they detect it? Yes, if they chose.

Is it against the rules? Unknown, unless someone can provide documentation on way or the other.

Do they stop it from working? At the moment it sounds like a NO. Depends on how many people abuse it, I guess.

Also won't work very far away from the router/PC.

Depends on how many people abuse it, I guess.

Given that there's no known rules against it, no one is abusing anything. You pay for an unlimited one device package - what you do with that stream is up to you. Splitting it say 5 ways, doesn't get you any more data or any faster data than if you only have one device.

Given that there's no known rules against it, no one is abusing anything. You pay for an unlimited one device package - what you do with that stream is up to you. Splitting it say 5 ways, doesn't get you any more data or any faster data than if you only have one device.

I used my mac, I couldnt hotspot it, is it cause its not windows 10?