Greece

bay guy

I'm sure things are OK but if anyone is on a Greek Isles cruise this week, can you tell us how things are going while in port?

Any problems with money or things being shut down because of the financial turmoil there now?

I can answer about Athens: Everything is running smoothly except the ATM machines. Get your cash on board the ship or in a port prior to coming to Greece. Prices are down, but the merchants are desperate. The people who cater to tourists on the islands are being hit the hardest because the Greeks are not able to go on their own vacations.

The only thing that will be affecting a cruise guest from what I am hearing on the news (I live in Athens) is that there might be less of a selection when at restaurants.

If you are coming in August, I will assume that the government will try to have cleared things up as much as possible by then to get cash flowing again if they can because the majority of the Athenians usually travel to the countryside or to the islands that month.

Come to Greece! People are actually being kinder to each other :D

and they were pretty hospitable to tourists to begin with ;)

Oh, and as an added bonus: For this week at least but maybe longer public transportation is free in Athens :D

Edited by debsters41
free metro and buses!

We have a cruise (tentatively) planned for September. It's a dream-come-true kind of cruise especially for one of my relatives coming along, but I must admit we are concerned.

While things are limping along for now, I am wondering what effects will manifest within the next couple of months. Yesterday, they identified that medicines were beginning to be in short supply. And just today, they announced that increased taxes may be part of the "deal" being brokered. One that was mentioned was a 24% tax on restaurant meals! I believe it was 13% for hotel rooms. One can only wonder if they will increase port taxes, too, which will impact cruises. We may be finding out that we will be paying more for the cruise than we anticipated - which is concerning.

So ... while we love Greece and its people, I don't know that increasing taxes on tourist-based activities is the right solution.

We're booked for B2B in October. I'm sure things will be fine. The biggest concern I have is availability of money for payment for shore excursions and whether Greece will be forced out of the Eurozone and thus have to change currency.

I coupled the following directly from RC web home page. There is a yellow banner at the top of the page.

Greece: For our guests, it's (mostly) business as usual

As you may be aware, Greece is currently experiencing financial hardship, which has led to many news headlines. For Royal Caribbean International guests who will be visiting Greek ports this summer, however, it's mostly business as usual. You can take your vacation with confidence.

We have made no changes to our itineraries. Our ships will call on Greek destinations as planned, and our Shore Excursions will take place as planned.

In fact, our Royal Caribbean International Shore Excursions come with an extra measure of security -- your transactions are handled through our company, so you need not be concerned about the financial circumstances of individual vendors.

One bit of advice, however: local companies in Greece are not always accepting credit card payments, and their decisions about whether to accept credit cards can change on short notice. So we have made sure to have an extra supply of Euro currency in our onboard ATMs, or you can stock up in port in Venice. Cash will almost always work.

And by all accounts, our Greek destinations remain as colorful, peaceful and scenic as ever.

We can't be sure when the financial situation in Greece will be resolved, and circumstances can always change. However, we have established communications with the appropriate port authorities and are receiving regular updates on the situation. We will continue to closely monitor the situation and bring you any updates if they are needed.

I am a fan of private excursions, but in the case of Greece this summer I would be a little more likely to book through the ship. Just a thought.

We currently are planning a cruise to include Greece in spring/summer 2017. I hope by then the financal crisis will be resolved so that the vendors in Greece can have more confidence in the market.

I really don't think that currently cruise passengers will be very affected. It makes sense to take a bit more cash than normal, but by all accounts the ATMs are still issuing money to foreign cards. However, that situation may change.

I can't see how any of this would affect cruises in the next few months as they would have had their charges paid or agreed in advance with a fixed exchange rate.

I would certainly be booking my trips direct with local suppliers rather than giving my money to the greedy cruise lines, but would do that anyway.

The ATMs that have money are only issuing €60 pd. That may effect some people.

As has been widely publicised on these pages & all over the internet & media, the €60 limit doesn't apply to foreign cards.

But this is a krunch weekend for negotiations, and folk whose visit to Greece isn't in the next week are best to see what Monday brings before considering whether to take more cash etc.

JB :)

I can answer about Athens: Everything is running smoothly except the ATM machines.

Can you be more specific please? What EXACTLY is not running smoothly regarding ATM machines? It's been previously reported that they are working, lines range from not long at all to a bit longer but orderly, and only Greeks limited to 60€ withdrawal/day while tourists with foreign cards can get more. Have any or all of those things changed and how so?

Thank you

As has been widely publicised on these pages & all over the internet & media, the €60 limit doesn't apply to foreign cards.

JB :)

Fair enough. However it won't matter what card you've got if the machine you go to hasn't got any money.

Papcx

You need to take some Euros in cash and use CCs for larger purchases. That's how things stand at the moment. Do you not watch the news on TV. I do, as it affects everybody, not just those going on holiday to Greece.

I'm sorry? Have I said something to upset you?

I haven't found an atm out of money in either Athens or Chios island.

Living in Athens, visited Chios for a week.

Atm's have no issues and daily limit applies only for locals.

Roght now things would look for a traveller, except some atm queues in central shopping areas, mostly where locals move, shop and do business.

Edited by nick_arch