Should we get off the boat in Victoria?

princessliz

Go to Rogers Chocolates on Government Street and buy yourself a Victoria Cream! Or *ahem* a whole box of them.... yeah... :D:D:D

Ugh. Sounded great but they are not open on Saturdays when we dock!

Absolutely get off the ship!

We also had the short evening hours there at the end of our Alaska cruise.

It ended up a most wonderful night to cap off this cruise.

Victoria is gorgeous lit up at night....spectacular!

It was an unforgettable evening.

We wish to return on land someday & really soak it in.

The Butchert Gardens are amazing as are all the huge floral baskets overflowing along the streets.

Gorgeous buildings and gingerbread type homes & cottages.

We hired the horse & carriage tour to pick our foursome up from the ship for a tour of 1-1/2 to 2 hrs.

It was so convenient & inexpensive divided by 4.

I don't recall which of the 2 carriage ride outfits we used, but 1 has the port pick up available for a very little extra fee---like $10.

Just an extra hint...the carriages are pretty small so choose accordingly...the 4 seater will be a bit snug.

Edited by silvercrikhix

Just to provide a counterpoint, we did not get off the ship in Victoria and did not regret it. We had already spent a boatload on our excursions in Alaska, so didn't want to pay for another excursion here. We didn't dock until 6pm, so many of the touring places were closed or closing shortly. We really love the ship, so had a lovely last night onboard. Be aware many bars are closed (per canadian law only one bar per floor can be open) but that actually made the bars that were open really fun. My parents went to the gardens, then to town for a little while, but by that time, they said the down looked really dead and didn't stay long.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sorry for not responding sooner... it's been a busy weekend! Thanks so much for all the feedback. Looks like we will get off the ship and at least have a walk around and maybe a meal and/or carriage ride. I noticed some of the responses to my post almost seemed like they were offended that we would consider not getting off the boat... I certainly didn't mean to offend! I've only been to Canada once (Toronto) and LOVED it! I guess when I was reading the Alaska reviews I never saw anyone post anything they recommended doing and I thought I read several times that since we dock in the evening on Monday the city was kind of shut down by then. That's why I posted... I was hoping I would get some suggestions! Thanks again, I'll be sure and come back and let you all know what we end up doing!

I guess when I was reading the Alaska reviews I never saw anyone post anything they recommended doing and I thought I read several times that since we dock in the evening on Monday the city was kind of shut down by then....

Understood, but the city is not shut down in the evening, especially in summer. Granted, the city's main attraction, The Royal BC Museum, is closed - yes - but that's no reason for people to say the city "shuts down". ;)

We found it quite relaxing, actually. We packed out suitcases in the afternoon (took a 1 hour blitz and got it done!), then left the ship once it was cleared. We ate dinner in town (Rotis - yum!!) and got back around 9 pm. We put our luggage outside the cabin for 11 pm and all in all, it was very stress-free and lovely. :)

Yep, I'm assuming Saturday is one of their busiest days. :)

Oh wow, thank you!! I was thinking it was odd that they would be closed on a Saturday! I did not realize it was just the online business closed.

We will definitely make a stop there no matter what else we decide to do. I appreciate the corrected info!!

Don't know where you got that information, they are open from 10:00 am to 10:00pm on Saturdays.

It was from their website. I did not realize the "closed Saturday's" was for their mail order business. Thanks!

Butchart Gardens. Enough said.

We just got back from our Alaska cruise yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed the Gardens. Victoria is a beautiful city. I wish we were in port longer. Even my 3 kids (14, 19,21) thought it the Gardens were amazing.

Just want to add that August 4th has the sun going down at 8:48pm.... budget twilight until 9pm....

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/canada/vancouver?month=8&year=2015

We're on Carnival Legend which docks at Victoria on Aug. 17th at 7:30 PM. Do we have enough time to see even part of Butchart Gardens? I think it's open until 10 PM.

Is it best to take a shuttle or a taxi (family of five)?

Thanks!

We're on Carnival Legend which docks at Victoria on Aug. 17th at 7:30 PM. Do we have enough time to see even part of Butchart Gardens? I think it's open until 10 PM.

Is it best to take a shuttle or a taxi (family of five)?

Thanks!

That is very tight... You dock at 7:30 it could take a bit to clear and get off the ship. It is over a 30min drive to the gardens and it takes a good couple hours to walk through and for what you pay you want to spend the time and not rush through. Personally getting there that late I would just explore around downtown and enjoy a drink in one of the pubs, but that is just me. The downtown is full of interesting and beautiful places to explore!

I agree with Trophy - even if you're off the ship, right into your own cab and the driver speeds outrageously you simply won't have enough time in daylight to justify the gardens. Sunset is 8:26pm that night, twilight 'til 9:01pm, so at best you'll have maybe half an hour of good light and those quarry gardens are deep enough there will be a lot of shadow in parts as soon as you arrive.

Wander downtown, enjoy the harbour, grab a brew (Swans is my favourite) and save Butchart for when you have more time.

We're on Carnival Legend which docks at Victoria on Aug. 17th at 7:30 PM. Do we have enough time to see even part of Butchart Gardens?

In addition to the two previous replies, I will add my "No" as well. If you dock at 7:30, it will take some time to "clear the ship" before anyone can proceed ashore. On our recent Alaska cruise, we docked in Victoria at 6:00 pm but "due to the high number of international passengers" (yes, exact words), we could not disembark until well after 7, I'd say. Your time frame is even tighter.

You absolutely do not have enough time, this trip. Sorry. :(

I would still go! I always go when in Victoria.

What if this was your one chance to see it and you missed it...... 45 (or longer) minutes of something is better than missing it all together.

Google Butchart gardens at night. It is all light up and magical looking.

Edited by Coral

I would still go! I always go when in Victoria. What if this was your one chance to see it and you missed it...... 45 (or longer) minutes of something is better than missing it all together. Google Butchart gardens at night. It is all light up and magical looking.

Yes, well, I guess that's a choice s/he will make. Several of us say not to do it because of time constraints plus it is actually way expensive for such a short visit, but I do see your point - life is short - I am a recent cancer survivor and I know that one all too well. ;):)

I frequently go to Victoria for business. Lovely city to explore on foot or find a patio with a view for a beverage. I recommend Vista 18, it's a rooftop restaurant near the Empress with a view of the Harbour.

One question, not to go off topic however, since this is an active thread I thought someone checking in here may know....

First, if you have not been to Victoria before or are not from this area I would absolutely recommend going into the Victoria if only to see the harbour (particularly at night)!!

But since we live nearby and have family there we have been to Victoria many many times and probably will stay on board to soak in the last night of festivities on the ship.

Does anyone know if you are required to clear customs? Just curious, if that would mess up our duty free allowance since we'll be driving back to home to Canada again the next day after arriving in Seattle, therefore only technically we'd be gone from Canada for less than 24 hours during that period...

One question, not to go off topic however, since this is an active thread I thought someone checking in here may know....

First, if you have not been to Victoria before or are not from this area I would absolutely recommend going into the Victoria if only to see the harbour (particularly at night)!!

But since we live nearby and have family there we have been to Victoria many many times and probably will stay on board to soak in the last night of festivities on the ship.

Does anyone know if you are required to clear customs? Just curious, if that would mess up our duty free allowance since we'll be driving back to home to Canada again the next day after arriving in Seattle, therefore only technically we'd be gone from Canada for less than 24 hours during that period...

The two times we were there off the ship we didn't have to talk to anyone. Just walked off like any Alaskan port.

It used to be that you simply left ship, walked thru a simple dockside building and showed Canadian Customs officer (CBSA) any form of picture ID which he/she may or may not have looked at. However, I have read lately that has changed and you must present your ID together with a completed CBSA declaration card.

Regardless I am always amazed when someone says that don't want to see Victoria. It's old hat for me but I always enjoy Victoria and certainly wouldn't pass up an opportunity to visit the city. The Legislature buildings, the Empress and the Inner Harbour area are gorgeous. If fortunate enough to be in port during the Royal BC Museum is open, it is a must. A walk down Government St. with it unique shops are a priority for the shopper. A visit to the world famous Butchart Gardens is high on most peoples list. There are various self guided walking tours that can be found by Googling, there is quite a show put on in the evening by the buskers on the Causeway across from the Empress and don't forget the horse drawn carriage rides.