Lock Luggage

kunapets

I lock mine with some travel locks I bought at Wal-greens. I think they came in pack of 8-10. They are just little plastic padlock-looking locks. You clip them on but if someone needs to get into your luggage they are easily snapped apart. I know it doesn't sound very secure but since the airlines won't let you use key locks this was all I could find. Here is a link to something similar to what I found at Wal-greens......

http://www.webbags.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/special1/SPLstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=E20-2865

Are you talking about at the airport or the pier. When we leave our luggage with the porter at the pier it is LOCKED, and when we set it out in the hall on the last night it is LOCKED. We use the plastic ties for the airport.

Don't put anything of value in your checked luggage! :)

I use the plastic cable locks before I go to the airport. If the airport opens my luggage then they put their own cable lock on aftewards. The only thing to remember is you need something to cut the cable lock in your cabin. Since you can't carry-on knives, scissors, etc. I bring my fingernail clippers and that seems to cut it enough to open and clear airport security. As coolcruise2 said, don't put anything of value in your luggage. I carry on all my jewelry, money, prescriptions, etc.

What sharp mechanical implement do you get on board with you to cut the cable ties, Tef? Heh. I can't imagine they'd let my husband bring on his Leatherman or his knife. :D

Store a nail clippers or a small pair of scissors in one of the outside pockets.

You can also use the locks approved by the TSA, look for rectangular combinations locks with the TSA symbol on them, (a red diamond-ish shape with an empty center, same shape). Your combination will work when you want to open them, and they are approved for use on airlines,, and can be opened and re-closed by TSA employees. I found some at Wlamart in the sporting goods for less than $5.

The problem with the TSA locks is that I know people who have had theirs cut off because the TSA doesn't bother to locate the correct key. There's more than one key (different shapes) because it's different for the different locks (3 vs 4 number combos, etc). It would be a great idea if it worked, but apparently it doesn't.

Archived