More UDP questions

abcmom123

I'm sure these have been asked answered many times before, but searching is like trying to find needles in the proverbial haystack so here goes:

Background-our family of four is sailing in March. My husband and I got the UDP promotion as passengers 1 and 2. My sons are 13 (turning 14 during the cruise) and 12.

1. When we sailed before and did specialty dining we just paid as we went and were charged half of the cover charge for the children (then 12 and under). I no longer see this anywhere. Am I correct that everyone is charged the same cover price now?

2. If I make reservations before sailing and the reservations are for all 4 of us, am I correct that I will be charged for the remaining 2 cover charges at the time of reservations? Or am I charged for all four and then credited the 2 once on board? Last time we just made reservations once on board, but I am concerned that we need to make them ASAP to get the restaurants/times we want (especially since DS wants Teppanyaki for his birthday :rolleyes:)

3. If I purchase the UDP for my sons before the cruise I can choose the number of nights, it's no longer automatically the length of your cruise?

4. If I purchase the UDP for my sons prior to the cruise how long does it take for the NCL site to "know" and apply it? Is it instantly, or is there a processing delay?

TIA for all the help. We are still a long ways out but I like to be prepared

1. Yes

2. No, as long as the person booking has UDP, there will not be a charge. You can make reservations for up to 8 people online. The total will then be settled when you dine.

3. You can buy Specialty Dining plan for whatever number of days you want or UDP for the length of your cruise.

4. I've only purchased UDP once, but in my case the system recognized it right away.

Thank you for the quick responses!

My DS is not a kid's menu kind of guy. He loves seafood and at Le Bistro goes for the upcharge entrees :eek: going to run the numbers and figure out all our options and see where we will get the most "bang for the buck" Thanks again for the info

Thank you for the quick responses!

My DS is not a kid's menu kind of guy. He loves seafood and at Le Bistro goes for the upcharge entrees :eek: going to run the numbers and figure out all our options and see where we will get the most "bang for the buck" Thanks again for the info

leave him at home? :p

We learned the hard way not to tell him "Order whatever you want"....;)

Ah, yes, I raised one of those. LOL. We'd sit down and open menus and I'd watch his eyes go directly to the cost column and he would inevitably order the most expensive thing on the menu. I had to help him get over that compulsion. ;)

When I had UDP on my last cruise, I added up what it would have cost me had I simply paid as I went, and with UDP I saved about $20. I ate at all of the restaurants except Moderno (which I'll definitely try on my cruise in March). I loved being able to eat in different restaurant each evening. When I purchased it, it showed up right away and I was able to make reservations immediately since I was within 90 days of my cruise. I'm looking forward to also trying the MDRs this time, so will purchase the dining package for only six of the 10 days. I like that they've made that an option now and it's no longer all or nothing.

Have a great cruise! I loved cruising with my children were young. They're all adults now, but when they were little it was fun to watch them having so much fun. :D