NCL Cruise out of Venice-Hotel Question

suzanne73

Hi

I am taking an NCL cruise that leaves out of Venice. We are arriving the night before and staying the night in Venice.

I have been there before years ago and I know how hard it is to get around with luggage.

I will be traveling with my parents who are older and will have problems going far with luggage.

Does anyone know of a hotel in Venice easy to get to with luggage? I will need to come from the airport. Is there a shuttle? Also how would I get to the port to catch my cruise? Are shuttles expensive?

I want to go to Piazza San Marco and Rialto Bridge area. So it is probably easier if I stay in Venice rather than outside.

I tried to get a hotel through NCL but they were sold out. I asked for transfers but they said I can't get any if I stay the night before.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you so much.

We stayed at the Best Western Hotel Olimpia a couple of years ago. I recall one smallish bridge and then you were at the cruise port...Maybe you could carry the luggage over the bridge for them. It's basically the hotel, to a foot bridge, to the parking lot as far as I recall... (or the other way of you take a bus/taxi from the airport). Easy to get anywhere on foot after you drop the luggage.

Whatever you get, enjoy!

Definitely head over to the ports of call board...Italy for a lot of helpful information. And definitely stay in Venice...nothing like it in the world. Don't chew up your time traveling back and forth from Mestre, the main land...not worth it in my opinion. We all travel so far to get to Venice, so enjoy every minute there.

That said, we stayed very close to Piazzale Roma for the least walking. It's the closest to the port. We did stay at Hotel Olimpia and they treated us very well. One bridge to walk over if I remember correctly. All you have to do on the day of the cruise is walk back over that bridge to the P. Roma. On the other side of the P. Roma is the people mover which takes you to the port. Easy, easy, easy.

We've also stayed at Hotel Moresco...higher end, very close to P. Roma...two bridges. About 10 minutes away from P. Roma. This is my current favorite hotel in Venice.

Just recently we've stayed at Hotel Principe which is just a few steps away from the train station...no bridges. But a bit farther than P. Roma.

ENJOY!

We stayed at the Hotel Campiello before we took the Jade out of Venice a month ago. Small hotel, very close to St. Marks square, and maybe 100 feet from the San Zaccaria ACTV or Alilaguna stop. Just look at a map carefully, so you don't head in the wrong direction after exiting the boat.

We took the Alilaguna from the airport. It is a bit of walk to catch the boat (but covered and no incline), but then you just sit back--you don't need to change from a bus to a boat. Takes a little over an hour from airport to San Zaccaria.

You might look into the hotel continental Venice. It's very close to the Piazzale Roma where the aerobus drops you off as well as the train station if you prefer that mode of transportation. Boat stop is nearby as well

I would stay on the main land. It is very easy to get the bus over to Venice city from the other side. I went last October with DS and her 3 y.o. It was an absolute nightmare getting through Venice with luggage and 3y.o and I swore I would never again. Before the cruise I stayed in a hotel on the mainland and it was so easy in comparison. The day of the cruise we just got the bus with our luggage and then a quick taxi ride to cruise terminal

We were just in Venice in June of 2015. I too was worried about luggage. We stayed at Casa Nova hotel, just steps away from San Marco, and all that it has to offer. It was a great location for sightseeing/dining etc.

We took a private water taxi from the airport to the hotel. The route took us through the grand canal and what a ride it was it was. The boat driver/taxi driver left us at a dock that was 50 steps from Casa Nova. No bridges to cross. Very, very easy. I think I paid 250.00 for the room, that included a nice breakfast as well. Hotel was 300 years old, but loved the charm of the place. Booked it on web via major vendor.

I stayed at the BW Olimpia near Piazalle Roma for a few days before my cruise in October. You can take an express bus directly to Piazalle Roma and then it's a very short walk over one small bridge and down a few steps to the hotel. As previously posted, getting to the port is pretty simple from there--just back to Piazallle Roma to the People Mover.

There's a vaporetto stop nearby to go sight seeing.

DOLITTA22 Do the cruise out of Venice. I have been cruising for the past 25 years, this was by far, next to NYC the most beautiful port to cruise in and out of. The city is fabulous and the ports, we did the Adriatic Sea was fantastic. Don't hesitate to go, by far a once in a lifetime cruise, but who knows, I may go back it was just that great.

DOLITTA22 Do the cruise out of Venice. I have been cruising for the past 25 years, this was by far, next to NYC the most beautiful port to cruise in and out of. The city is fabulous and the ports, we did the Adriatic Sea was fantastic. Don't hesitate to go, by far a once in a lifetime cruise, but who knows, I may go back it was just that great.

Thanks for the encouragement! I visited Venice years ago for only two days, but in the last couple years have started dreaming about taking a cruise from there. I've heard sailing out of the city is unforgettable.

We were looking at winter 2017 Caribbean cruises (when we usually go) and looking for something longer than 7 days, but didn't see much available, so started talking cruises out of Venice next summer. And...just last weekend, *think* I convinced my DH that we should do it! It'll likely be our last cruise before having kids, so may as well make it an awesomely memorable one. :)

You should definitely go back!

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I am going to look at all the hotels mentioned.

I do have a few questions.

Coldinerie - since you were they recently. How much was the private taxi to the hotel? There are three of us. Did you arrange it before time? Or did you find the boat in the airport? Are the water taxis just waiting?

Baseball fan- you said you walked to St. Mark's square from the hotel. How long did it take you? Is it very far?

Thank you all again. Everyone is so helpful.

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I am going to look at all the hotels mentioned.

I do have a few questions.

Coldinerie - since you were they recently. How much was the private taxi to the hotel? There are three of us. Did you arrange it before time? Or did you find the boat in the airport? Are the water taxis just waiting?

Baseball fan- you said you walked to St. Mark's square from the hotel. How long did it take you? Is it very far?

Thank you all again. Everyone is so helpful.

It probably took us an hour but we stopped for pictures and shopping. There was a great mask shop about 15 min away. With a few quick photo ops I'd say 30 min. There are signs on sides of buildings for San Marco. Fantastic walk!