Which would you pick

Hi, I am interested in taking a southern cruise and have narrowed it down to Princess - Royal Princess or Royal Caribbean - Serenade of the Seas. Both are a 10 day Southern Itinerary from Ft Lauderdale. We have not sailed either cruiseline, i know this is a RCCL thread but please be objective.

The Serenade goes to Tortola, Basseterre, Roseau, St. Johns, Philipsburg. While the Royal Princess Aruba; Curacao; Grenada; Dominica; St. Thomas, Princess Cays.

We have not been to any of the ports other than Philipsburg, so most everything will be a new port. We are in our early 30s so we are looking for things to do while on board, and decent entertainment/shows to keep us occupied. To those who have either sailed the cruise lines/ships or the ports which would you recommend. Any other advice is also appreciated, thanks in advance

That is indeed a tough choice...I think I may lean towards the Serenade based primarily on the ports of call and secondarily becuse Seranede is a beautiful ship.

I can't comment on Princess as I've never saliled with them.

I'm sure you will get more detailed feedback from others, but please let us now what you decide!

Tough call - either one sounds great , but it depends on what you are looking for. The princess ship will have a "mega ship" feel, better food, newer rooms with small std balconies, and a lot more people, and more spaces to enjoy on a long cruise.

The serenade will have a smaller ship feel, easy to get around, less crowding on and off the gangways.....and probably more personal service.

I recommend that you YouTube the islands and determine which ones you prefer. Aruba,Curaçao and Antigua are desert climates- more brown and rocky with great beaches

I have not cruised on Princess yet, so I can't give feedback. But I will say that the Radiance Class ships (including Serenade) are by far my favorite in the RCI fleet. They are just the right size, and have lots of windows for great views. Serenade will be smaller than Royal Princess, so if being on a newer and bigger ship matters, you'll have to take that into account.

The Princess itinerary wins "hands down". Don't miss the opportunity to go DEEP into the Caribbean to Aruba & Curacao (two of the three ABC islands).

Royal Princess has a port intensive itinerary that you would probably really enjoy.

While we sometimes cruise on RCCL, we like Princess better.

It's nice to be able to go directly to your cabin as soon as you board the ship.

It's good to be able to book shore excursions in advance and not be charged for them until you are on the ship.

Royal Princess is a very nice ship with lots of food and entertainment options.

Have a wonderful time on whichever ship you pick. :)

LuLu

I would pick Serenade in this case. I cruise both lines and I've actually been on both of these ship classes, so I can give you a first hand opinion.

Royal Princess was a huge let-down for me. I was disappointed with the ship design and cabins. The cabins are tiny and the balconies are so narrow, you have to turn the chairs sideways so your knees aren't pressed up against the glass. My standard balcony room was ok for a 3 night cruise, but no way in hell would I be comfortable in that room for 10 days. In order to get a room the size of a D1 on Serenade, you would need to book a mini suite on Royal Princess. On Serenade, all rooms have a couch. On Royal Princess, again, you have to book at least a mini suite to get a sitting area in your room.

On Royal Princess, there is no outdoor Promenade other than a couple small areas forward and aft. Not only can you not walk all the way around the ship, you can't even walk fore and aft. On Serenade, you can walk all the way around, and even go out to the bow helipad.

Entertainment and dining are even on these ships/lines. In fact, the shows and side entertainment, like gameshows, are exactly the same on both lines. Serenade has a nicer and more comfortable theater though.

Another thing about Royal Princess, there is not one single lounge on the ship with decent ocean views. None! Serenade has the Viking Crown Lounge up top and the Safari Lounge aft, both of which have floor to ceiling windows.

Where Royal Princess has an advantage is pool space. Serenade's main pool deck is small.

It's nice to be able to go directly to your cabin as soon as you board the ship.

RCI boards earlier, which is part of the reason rooms aren't ready. But that said, on my Regal cruise, the rooms were not ready until 1:30. From what I've read on the Princess boards, rooms aren't ready upon boarding on both Royal and Regal.

Edited by Aquahound

Royal Princess was a huge let-down for me. I was disappointed with the ship design and cabins. The cabins are tiny and the balconies are so narrow, you have to turn the chairs sideways so your knees aren't pressed up against the glass. My standard balcony room was ok for a 3 night cruise, but no way in hell would I be comfortable in that room for 10 days.

Scratch that ship off the bucket list. [emoji1]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would pick Serenade in this case. I cruise both lines and I've actually been on both of these ship classes, so I can give you a first hand opinion.

Royal Princess was a huge let-down for me. I was disappointed with the ship design and cabins. The cabins are tiny and the balconies are so narrow, you have to turn the chairs sideways so your knees aren't pressed up against the glass. My standard balcony room was ok for a 3 night cruise, but no way in hell would I be comfortable in that room for 10 days. In order to get a room the size of a D1 on Serenade, you would need to book a mini suite on Royal Princess. On Serenade, all rooms have a couch. On Royal Princess, again, you have to book at least a mini suite to get a sitting area in your room.

On Royal Princess, there is no outdoor Promenade other than a couple small areas forward and aft. Not only can you not walk all the way around the ship, you can't even walk fore and aft. On Serenade, you can walk all the way around, and even go out to the bow helipad.

Entertainment and dining are even on these ships/lines. In fact, the shows and side entertainment, like gameshows, are exactly the same on both lines. Serenade has a nicer and more comfortable theater though.

Another thing about Royal Princess, there is not one single lounge on the ship with decent ocean views. None! Serenade has the Viking Crown Lounge up top and the Safari Lounge aft, both of which have floor to ceiling windows.

Where Royal Princess has an advantage is pool space. Serenade's main pool deck is small.

RCI boards earlier, which is part of the reason rooms aren't ready. But that said, on my Regal cruise, the rooms were not ready until 1:30. From what I've read on the Princess boards, rooms aren't ready upon boarding on both Royal and Regal.

Thanks this is helpful, what about the itinerary would you think the Princess has the edge as far as ports visited goes? Since if you have been on the SOS, would we get bored being on it for 10 days as far as entertainment goes? We dont really do trivia, or lounges etc, more apt to enjoy the evening broadway themed shows, magician, hypnotist, comedian etc.

Thanks

While Princess is our favorite cruise line, we like to "sleep around" on others including RCCL.

If Serenade OTS had the Royal Princess itinerary and Royal had Serenade's, we would pick Serenade because of the itinerary.

I was just trying to assure the OP that Royal Princess is a nice ship and there would be things on Royal the OP would probably very much enjoy so not to hesitate to book Princess if she likes the itinerary better. :)

LuLu

While Princess is our favorite cruise line, we like to "sleep around" on others including RCCL.

If Serenade OTS had the Royal Princess itinerary and Royal had Serenade's, we would pick Serenade because of the itinerary.

I was just trying to assure the OP that Royal Princess is a nice ship and there would be things on Royal the OP would probably very much enjoy so not to hesitate to book Princess if she likes the itinerary better. :)

LuLu

I'm a he ;) That's what i am really struggling with, really like the Princess itinerary, just hesitant on the princess ship. Like you said if SOS had that itinerary that would be easy choice. How about i through one more caveat. What about this sailing on the SOS, 11 Nights Southern Caribbean Cruise - Starting in Fort Lauderdale with stops in St. Johns, Castries, Bridgetown, St. George's, Kralendijk, Oranjestad. Would you say this is more in line with the princess itinerary?

The bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either one. Both are excellent cruise lines with much the same bells and whistles. The one thing that would lead me to pick Princess from the choices you have there is the stop at Princess Cays. It is the most beautiful private island I've ever been to. Better than RCCL's Labadee and way, way, way better than Coco Cay (neither of which, I realize, is on the Serenade itinerary anyway.)

Thanks this is helpful, what about the itinerary would you think the Princess has the edge as far as ports visited goes? Since if you have been on the SOS, would we get bored being on it for 10 days as far as entertainment goes? We dont really do trivia, or lounges etc, more apt to enjoy the evening broadway themed shows, magician, hypnotist, comedian etc.

Thanks

I would say Royal has the slight advantage due to Dominica, which is my favorite Caribbean island. Princess Cays is my least favorite private island though. Their tender process is a bit of a mess. However, on the Serenade route, Tortola is also one of my favorites. It's very close in my opinion, but still, very slight edge to Princess.

You won't be anymore bored on Serenade as you would on Royal. Like I said, entertainment is almost exactly the same. After the main shows, which are good, there's plenty of live music around the ship.

I'm a he ;) That's what i am really struggling with, really like the Princess itinerary, just hesitant on the princess ship. Like you said if SOS had that itinerary that would be easy choice. How about i through one more caveat. What about this sailing on the SOS, 11 Nights Southern Caribbean Cruise - Starting in Fort Lauderdale with stops in St. Johns, Castries, Bridgetown, St. George's, Kralendijk, Oranjestad. Would you say this is more in line with the princess itinerary?

So/so. I like the Bonaire stop, which is my favorite of the ABCs. 1 extra night is nice. :)

Hi, I am interested in taking a southern cruise and have narrowed it down to Princess - Royal Princess or Royal Caribbean - Serenade of the Seas. Both are a 10 day Southern Itinerary from Ft Lauderdale. We have not sailed either cruiseline, i know this is a RCCL thread but please be objective.

The Serenade goes to Tortola, Basseterre, Roseau, St. Johns, Philipsburg. While the Royal Princess Aruba; Curacao; Grenada; Dominica; St. Thomas, Princess Cays.

We have not been to any of the ports other than Philipsburg, so most everything will be a new port. We are in our early 30s so we are looking for things to do while on board, and decent entertainment/shows to keep us occupied. To those who have either sailed the cruise lines/ships or the ports which would you recommend. Any other advice is also appreciated, thanks in advance

ooh tough call--Either way it is a win but I think would go Princess

1. Both hit 2 of my favorite Caribbean islands, Tortola (Jost Van Dyke), Antigua, Aruba and Curacao

2. I have cruised more with Princess due to the itineraries and price not because I don't like RCCL

3. I find that Princess usually has less kids

ooh tough call--Either way it is a win but I think would go Princess

1. Both hit 2 of my favorite Caribbean islands, Tortola (Jost Van Dyke), Antigua, Aruba and Curacao

2. I have cruised more with Princess due to the itineraries and price not because I don't like RCCL

3. I find that Princess usually has less kids

It's def tough decision because both are good in its own way

Appreciate everyone's response, we are leaning towards making the decision based on itinerary and not so much the ship as a way to determine which we should pick, since we really prioritize the destinations and then the ship. With that being said, RCCL visits 5 ports, of which we have been to St Maarten twice, so really we will be visiting 4 new ports. Princess goes to 6 ports, and we have not been to any, i know the last port is really just a private island, but its still the Bahamas and the beach. So currently leaning towards princess primarily due to itinerary.

We dont really do trivia, or lounges etc, more apt to enjoy the evening broadway themed shows, magician, hypnotist, comedian etc.Thanks

Since you like that sort of thing, you'll be VERY happy with your evening entertainment on Princess. :)

If you are into rock climbing, water slides, etc., Princess is not for you! :D

LuLu

Since you like that sort of thing, you'll be VERY happy with your evening entertainment on Princess. :)

If you are into rock climbing, water slides, etc., Princess is not for you! :D

LuLu

LOL i couldn't rock climb if my life depended on it

So lets break it down some...

Both go to one VI- Princess is St. Thomas, RCI- Tortola. We've been to both, and while the immediate port area in Tortola is pretty sparse- we much prefer Tortola as it's a lot less commercial. Either way, it's fun.

Both go to Dominica- so that's even.

Both go to what is basically a dry beach island- RCI is St John, Antigua; Princess is Aruba and Curacao. St Marten has more stuff- so I think that I'd rather be on the RCI than the Princess given those pairs of Island choices.

St Kitts is nice, but have never been to Grenada. So I'd lean Princess there.

The one day difference is the private beach island. And if you are doing beach stuff on Aruba and or Curacao, do you need another? If yes, than this one addition is pretty important, if not, then...

Since we are not huge beach people, Tortola/Antigua/St Kitts is ever so more appealing than St Thomas, Aruba, and Curacao. (Dominica is a win either way)

Factoring the ship into it, well, that's just being biased toward RCI over Princess.

Edited by alfaeric