Christmas Day on board

Jaimel134

I wondered this as its half a turnaround day for Azura on Xmas day, some people get off that day and a new lot get on but might not have ironed clothes.

The half that stay for Xmas day are off the next day so their bags are usually out and gone.

I'm eyeing up Xmas on the Azura but the disembarkation days are Xmas or the day after.

Usually formal and does not work IMO. A quick survey of passengers on Oceana last xmas had an unanamous response.

People don't like the formal dinner, nobody did this at home.

People don't like xmas 'lunch' in the evening, xmas dinner is in the afternoon.

Even freedom dining passengers had to choose between an early and late sitting. The early sitting was vastly over subscribed, maybe because it was nearer lunchtime!

Late sitting was awful, lots of vacant tables and seats, no atmosphere at all and my table all left before the pud!. I presume all the missing people went to the buffet at 6pm!

I suggested to P&O that they had xmas dinner at lunchtime, as it should be, and drop the formal malarky as nobody i spoke to wanted it on xmas day!

I am very confused as to why this would be a formal night.

Only half of the people due on this cruise will have arrived on the 25th (me included), with the rest not due until the next day.

The other half (or less) of the ship are spending their last night docked in Barbados (with some prefering to go out for the evening) and others just packing and not doing very much.

Do they have a formal evening whilst docked ? My guess would be not a lot of people would be there because of my points above.

Does that mean the 2nd formal night would then be December 27th which is our first official day at sea. Seems awful close together as someone did point out to me that December 31st was also formal evening, then we are likely to have another on the 2nd January as thats a sea day.:confused:

Why would they have a formal night with only half of the people who are due to be on this cruise not arriving until the Saturday. Are they getting one less formal night then ? That might not please some.

Totally confused to be honest...:confused:

I am new to this kind of cruise (prev expedition vessel) We are on Aurora for our first cruise this coming Christmas and really looking forward to it. I don't mind 'formality' on Christmas Day (I come from a family where we always looked tidier for Christmas lunch) but smart, jacket only would be my preferred option for men and smart for us ladies if the meal were at lunch time, then smart casual for the evening.

However I agree, I would prefer to have the main meal at lunch time. My husband and I go for a short walk after lunch to walk off the meal slightly. It will be harder to do this after an evening meal, though we have chosen first sitting.

Oh and were in our 40s/50s so not in an older formal generation :)

I am new to this kind of cruise (prev expedition vessel) We are on Aurora for our first cruise this coming Christmas and really looking forward to it. I don't mind 'formality' on Christmas Day (I come from a family where we always looked tidier for Christmas lunch) but smart, jacket only would be my preferred option for men and smart for us ladies if the meal were at lunch time, then smart casual for the evening.

However I agree, I would prefer to have the main meal at lunch time. My husband and I go for a short walk after lunch to walk off the meal slightly. It will be harder to do this after an evening meal, though we have chosen first sitting.

Oh and were in our 40s/50s so not in an older formal generation :)

I dont mind the formal nights and I enjoy the dressing up as well. Just not too many...:D

It definitly wont be a lunch as noone will be onboard by then but my confusion is to why it would be a specific formal night with only half of the ship arriving on that day and the other half the next day.

Are they missing out on a formal night or are they then factoring in another 4 after that, making it actually 5 nights ?

Its always formal, and always beautiful.

The menu is a delight, with great food, fantastic atmosphere, and all the family are in such a festive mood.

Would always recommend a christmas cruise.

Not quite alwaysl....we were on Oriana one Christmas and it was nice. Santa came down the funnel and the choir sang, but that was pretty much it. There was a nice atmosphere but it certainly wasn't bubbling and festive.

We have heard that before from people who spent Christmas on P and O.

We wondered if the majority cruised at that time to escape all the hype.

Having said that.. we will do it again.

Usually formal and does not work IMO. A quick survey of passengers on Oceana last xmas had an unanamous response.

You mean You asked a handful of people and came up with an answer you wanted to hear ?

Thats not a real survery, it is changing the subject.

One is not impressed dahling with your behaviour.

Shame on you.

Edited by Rhubarbtart
Rhubarb is the best. Go Rhubarb. Go Tart.

I doubt many people have actually joined a cruise on Christmas Day, there's no way it'll be a formal surely, as long as there's a Christmas Dinner I'll be happy :)

me too Dahling.

Some of the other posts, are wau too negetive.

I dont know why people just dont stay at home and watch the telly and eat frozen pizza.

The same people dont even tip the waiters at the end of the cruise.

shame on them I say. Shame.

If you dont want to dress up for dinner, then stay at home I say.

One does not dress up at home for christmas dinner ?

I just dont get it. What do they wear ? Pygamas and flip flops perhaps ?

You mean You asked a handful of people and came up with an answer you wanted to hear ?

Thats not a real survery, it is changing the subject.

One is not impressed dahling with your behaviour.

Shame on you.

Here we go again :rolleyes:

hello ignore button ;)

We have been on a few Christmas cruises but never arrived or departed on Xmas Day. IMO This should have been a 28 night cruise which would not have caused this problem.

Christmas Day night has always been formal in our experience and it is a meal to look forward to. The waiters are jovial and in the Xmas spirit as are the majority of passengers. During the day the officers help serve the crew their Xmas meal and they are given time off in shifts for it.

I have no idea how they will deal with Azura this year and somehow I doubt they know themselves yet. I do wonder if anyone at Head Office have realised what a co** up someone has made.

We will be on Arcadia enjoying our formal night Christmas Dinner.

I hope it all works out for you and that somehow you all get your Christmas dinner to enjoy. The dress code surely cannot be formal as not everyone will have their cases by dinner time.

We've done two Christmas/New Year cruises back in the day when the 14 night cruise included both special nights. They were the best Christmas and New Year's Eve parties we've ever had.

What is being suggested on here now sounds pretty awful. P&O must have known what they were doing, but then again perhaps not!

Definitely not my idea of how I want to spend Christmas day in the Caribbean

Hi Esprit, we have also done two Christmas/New Year cruises with Fred Olsen, had a great day and evening on both.

I suppose if you have two ships leaving on alternative weekends then this situation is going to come up every 5 or 6 years ( with leap years and an overnight stop).

Myself, I think I would steer clear of starting a cruise when that date comes around but I hope those that do have a great time.

We are joining Britannia on 2nd Jan and so will have our Christmas lunch at home at around about 2pm, but I am afraid it will be smart casual and not formal.

Nearly said have a nice Christmas but its a bit to soon for that,

Rick.

We too have thoroughly enjoyed Christmas and New YEar with P and O .....formal nights for both....the Christmas meal is in the evening so that the crew can have theirs at lunchtime...served by the officers!

We went on a cruise to have a different Christmas experience...not the same as we would do at home!

We've done two Christmas cruises and dinner has been formal both times. I enjoy the traditional cruise rules that the crew are served by the officers and the ship is quite low key throughout the day. The evening meal is special, hats, crackers etc and we always enjoy it. Mind you we have travelled with our family of nine and decorate our cabins to an inch of their lives and search for weeks for the perfect door decoration!

It might be worth giving P and O a call to confirm plans of formal, if it's changeover day they might plan it differently?

Happy cruising,

Suzy x

I'm still not sure how formal night on the 25th would work if you are getting off on the 26th. Surely your bags would be packed and in the corridor if you were on second sitting.

I don't fancy going to the airport in a Tux.

I'm still not sure how formal night on the 25th would work if you are getting off on the 26th. Surely your bags would be packed and in the corridor if you were on second sitting.

I don't fancy going to the airport in a Tux.

We're on this cruise and getting off on the 26th.

I don't mind what attire it is as we've always managed to get back to the cabin and put our evening clothes in the suitcase and outside the door. We make sure they're outside by 11pm but our steward said they collect all through the night on change over day.

I think it will be more difficult for the people arriving so I can't imagine it will be formal, but a formal on Xmas eve would be nice as we're planning always celebrate in Seventeen. :)

Edited by Gymbod