Airfare change - refund/credit?

texancruzer

I keep reading about people whose airfare has gone done in price and received either a refund or a credit (voucher for future use)

I just called my TA (she didnt know) and she called American Air.

Yes, our air went down $50.00 per person = $100.00 HOWEVER it will cost us $50.00 per person to change so no savings....

How is everyone getting refunds or credits on airfare ?????? Did you buy a refundable ticket or special tickets or what. I just bought what times worked and did not ask for anything special etc....

Even if I can't get $$ back this round...I will know what not to do next time.

Thanks....

We used U.S. Air for our last cruise out of FLL From the time we booked until the time we sailed the air price went down 3 times. All I did was call the airline and they sent me a voucher good on our next trip. By the time we sailed we had over $ 200.00 pp. in vouchers. Our next cruise air cost us almost nothing.

You aren't changing anything so why a charge?Just call and say that the price went down and you want a voucher. I think most airlines will give it to you.

Sally

The airlines are clamping down on this practice (which always seemed financially ruinous to me) by introducing the requirement to pay a change fee. Different airlines have different rules at different times, of course - it pays to read all of the fare rules before you buy the ticket.

I've gotten the refund from American, but I have heard they stopped that, and now you have to cancel your ticket and rebook with the change fee, so I would make sure savings would be significant to do this. But like previous poster said, I would just call the airlines direct to check. I got a $27 credit from American, but to use the certificate, I was told you can't do it online, so would have to call a reservationist, which in turn would cost another $5 :mad: for doing it over the phone. Needless to say, my certificate just expired in the drawer. :(

OK I don't get it.....

Someone on my cruise got an email from her ta on friday....their airfare went down $80.00 per person so she got a $160.00 credit voucher to use on a future american ticket.

I checked online and our airfare went down $50.00 per person for a $100. difference.

I called my TA - she called American - no go. Want to charge us a change fee of 50.00 per ticket so no savings

Called American myself - same thing.,

Checked back with friend and her ticket was marked non-refundable-change fee applies.....

so how did she get credit voucher and I can't ??????????????? GGGGRRRRR

By the way - original price was $727.20 per person = $1441. round trip for both of us from Corpus Christi TX to San Juan Puerto Rico.... American now has a special from Austin TX to Osaka Japan for $575.00 go figure !!!!!

so how did she get credit voucher and I can't ??????????????? GGGGRRRRR
It may be that you were on different fare rules. Do you have the entire printout of yours, and theirs? You're looking for something that is typically about two or three sheets of paper with single-spaced type, and your TA should be able to access that for you.

Only then can you be sure whether there ought to be a difference between you and the other people.

I know this doesn't help your current situation, but may be good to know in the future, Southwest Airlines is great where this is concerned. If the fare goes down, just go to the Travel Center on their website & click on Change Reservation. They will hold the funds for 1 year. Tickets can even be purchased for someone else with those $$.

Archived