Drinks in Hot Tubs

Greetings, fellow Mariners. After two charter sailings with HAL (on Westerdam and Nieuw Amsterdam), I recently completed my first true HAL cruise and I had a wonderful time. I sailed the New England & Canada itinerary on Maasdam, and I truly enjoyed (nearly) every minute aboard, as reflected in my review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=506800

That said, I did experience some confusion. As Maasdam was easing away from the dock at the Black Falcon cruise port on a beautiful sunny afternoon, and I was easing into the hot tub, I called over a bar server so that I could order a gin and tonic and officially start my cruise vacation. The drink was delivered, the HAL Cats were playing, and all was well. For about five minutes.

A different bar server then approached me and informed me that it was not permitted to have any kind of drink in the hot tub, and that I would have to set my drink on the furthest edge of the deck, or about five feet away. I expressed my surprise and told the server that in 14 cruises, including on HAL, I had never been told I could not have a drink in the hot tub. I also mentioned that on Princess and NCL passengers were effectively encouraged to drink in the hot tub! That bar server went away but I was quickly approached by a second server minutes later who again told me to cease drinking and I gave up on my happy, peaceful sail-away cocktail.

About a half-hour later, I exited the hot tub, dried off, and walked over to the Lido Bar. By a happy coincidence, the Bar Manager happened to be standing nearby, and I told him what had happened. The Bar Manager assured me that I was welcome to drink in the hot tub, but that they would prefer I not drink anything that would necessitate emptying the hot tub should I spill the drink (e.g. a pina colada or similar). I felt heard, ordered a second gin and tonic, and took it back to the hot tub to continue my enjoyment of the afternoon. But, for the rest of the cruise, I felt like I was breaking the rules every time I had a drink in the hot tub. And I was the only passenger I ever saw with a drink in the hot tub.

So here, at long last, is my question: Does HAL have, in your experience, a general policy that discourages anyone from having a drink in the hot tub? I feel like I received mixed messages on Maasam. And as I'm generally very conscientious about following rules, I do want to behave appropriately. But I also feel like this is a rule in search of a problem, especially as I've never seen it to be a problem in 14 cruises. I do have three more HAL cruises booked, so I want to have some clarity come January when I'm back on Nieuw Amsterdam.

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences. :)

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals* recommends against consuming alcohol in a hot tub. Here's a link to their safety pamphlet.

http://apsp.org/Portals/0/PDFs/Consumer%20Safety%20Brochures/sensiblewayspahottub_jul06_v2b.pdf

Prohibiting food & drink in pools and hot tubs is fairly standard practice at hotels and resorts. I wouldn't get too upset about it. (Unless you are sporting a Speedo**, in which case you should buy drinks for everyone around the hoty tub.)

* - The APSP is a real thing.

** - AKA "Banana Hammock"

I realize that 90% of hot tub ads feature people drinking wine or Champagne whilst submersed. This is unrealistic. The ads should show a bunch of pruny old people*** with red Solo cups.

*** - Disclaimer: I am an old person. I have been known to get pruny in water.

Edited by POA1

If the only cost to me for me being accepted in my Speedo in the hot tub is a round of drinks, I'm game. :)

Please no hating on the Speedo wearers. :):):)

Dennis

Awesome. ;)

Prohibiting food & drink in pools and hot tubs is fairly standard practice at hotels and resorts. I wouldn't get too upset about it. (Unless you are sporting a Speedo**, in which case you should buy drinks for everyone around the hoty tub.)

Well, that won't work on a an RSVP cruise. ;)

If you are staying in the hot tub for a half hour, you are putting your health at risk. Additionally, the CDC recommends that you "Avoid drinking alcohol before entering the hot tub or during hot tub use."

So whether or not HAL might allow drinking in the hot tub, there may be some common sense reasons not to.

As an aside, knowing the diuretic effects of alcohol, I sure as hell wouldn't want to use a hot tub that you've been sitting and drinking in for an extended period of time! :eek:

We love to nestle into the hot tub with a wind me down. After a significant number of cruises, most servers are ok as long as you are not in the tub holding the glass (making sure it's definitely not breakable!) the whole time. While in the hot tub, we have been served and the servers merely ask us to keep the drinks away from the tub - easy to do. Enjoy, be discreet and don't feel guilty!

Most public access hot tubs I have seen usually have posted notices - which generally ban drinking while in the hot tub.

I'm glad you mentioned the sign, because there is no posted rule on Maasdam. Of course there is a posted rule about no glass, but that implies beverages need to be in plastic cups. Coincidentally, all beverages served at the Lido Bar are in plastic cups. ;-)

Thanks for all the health-related advice, everybody! However, I'm 47 and very fit. I also drink responsibly, so my question wasn't meant to be health related.

Finally, I didn't unpack my Speedo until later in the cruise! :-P Please keep on sharing.

Don't think I've been in a public hot tub that did not have the rule "no drinks in hot tub". Spill the drink and the tub will need to be emptied and cleaned.

Thanks for your post. It's interesting to me that you and others accept this "rule" as a matter of near-universal experience. And yet for me, the idea is so unusual. As I say, there isn't actually any posted rule related to drinking except for the very logical no-glassware rule.

In 14 cruises I've never seen anyone drop a drink in a hot tub. Ironically, I did spill a drink while trying to be discreet. Because I couldn't see where I was setting my drink, I placed it on an uneven surface and the drink tipped over. If I didn't have the Signature Beverage Package, I would have been fairly upset.

I will also say that I was surprised how little the hot tubs were used on Maasdam, especially as compared with my cruises on NCL and Princess. I'm fairly certain that those hot tubs are emptied frequently as a matter of course, especially on Caribbean sailings, as the water becomes fouled with sunscreen.

Cheers. :)

If the only cost to me for me being accepted in my Speedo in the hot tub is a round of drinks, I'm game. :)

Please no hating on the Speedo wearers. :):):)

Dennis

I always kick about in a Speed-O. I don't train and eat a correct diet to only look at myself in the mirror!

Just one not guys, let's get into the 21st century and mind the body hair. 10 mins a week keeps you looking human and not prehistoric!

The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals* recommends against consuming alcohol in a hot tub. Here's a link to their safety pamphlet.

http://apsp.org/Portals/0/PDFs/Consumer%20Safety%20Brochures/sensiblewayspahottub_jul06_v2b.pdf

* - The APSP is a real thing.

** - AKA "Banana Hammock"

I realize that 90% of hot tub ads feature people drinking wine or Champagne whilst submersed. This is unrealistic. The ads should show a bunch of pruny old people*** with red Solo cups.

*** - Disclaimer: I am an old person. I have been known to get pruny in water.

Love your comments Brian - always tongue in cheek as usual.;) I have over 30 cruises on Hal and have never seen anyone with a drink in hand while in a hot tub.

Slightly off-topic, but all this talk of Speedos reminded me of my MSC Cruise from last October... while on Great Stirrup Cay, I saw a 70-ish year old man wearing a STRING THONG BIKINI bottom. I'm not judging, simply saying that it isn't really what I would choose to wear myself (Michael). I'd like to collect my round of drinks for that one.

I have over 30 cruises on Hal and have never seen anyone with a drink in hand while in a hot tub.

That's exactly the kind of information I'm seeking. If I'm going to sail more with HAL (and as I keep saying, I have three HAL cruises booked), HAL may have to consider that it is possible for a reasonably fit human to hold onto a cocktail in the hot tub without spilling it. It happens every day on other cruise lines (including Carnival-owned brands) and the ships manage to continue to sail and the hot tubs manage to continue operating. ;)

That is the kind of cruise where the OP belongs.

I'm not really sure what this comment means, :confused: but I will assume it means something nice. Cheers.

We also have never seen anyone on a HAL cruise that had a drink while in the hot tubs.

I'm guessing that was even the case on your Caribbean cruise on NA, eh? That's a bit discouraging as that's my next HAL sailing. Oh well, I guess I will have to have my occasional beverage while I'm at my lounger and plan on being "dry" in the hot tub. Such is life, I guess. Thanks.

I will also say that I was surprised how little the hot tubs were used on Maasdam

Cheers. :)

Of course, if I had noticed you lolling in the hot tub, drink(s) in hand, for a half hour or so, I too might have been among the Maasdam passengers who decided not to use said hot tub.