Removing radiation from water onboard ship

ICtheC

thanks all of you that gave reasonable answers with lots of excellent

information.

Background: My husband was doing volunteer work in the Ukraine when

Chernobyl blew and received a huge dose of radiation from the fallout.

So, we keep track of any radiation sources and avoid them. As the good doctors have said.

Every dose of radiation has the potential to cause cancer

You can get cataracts from radiation

Dentists use lead aprons and thyroid protection when taking an x-ray

radiation damage is cumulative

Chernobyl caused thousands of deaths due to thyroid cancer

It is also reported that we all have a bit of Chernobyl in us due to the worldwide spread of radiation from that explosion.

So enough of the glowing and tin hats humor - this is a serious problem

in society today.

thanks again for some really great information from some of you - very much appreciated.

The residents of Denver Colorado receive higher radiation doses every day of the year (from natural radioactive Uranium in the mountains) than the residents of Fukushima received during their big crisis.

Haven't heard too many dire news reports from Denver lately.

I've lived in Denver for about 20 years, and before that I lived 450 miles from Chernobyl for 9 years. Apparently if anyone should be glowing in the dark by now... :cool:

I've lived in Denver for about 20 years, and before that I lived 450 miles from Chernobyl for 9 years. Apparently if anyone should be glowing in the dark by now... :cool:

Darn near everyone in Colorado should be, I guess. Most of us are at 5,000 ft or higher.

Me, too. And I was of the generation exposed to asbestos aboard ships, so DW figures all my time now is gravy!

Great answer and great info throughout 2 threads that I have been on.:)

I fail to see the humour or entertainment value. The OP has a legitimate if possibly misplaced concern and is seeking advice.

I am loving this thread both for the real educational value and for the dash of humour. The value of being able to find humour even in life's most horrible moments cannot be underrated. It lessens the stress and helps you get through. You will live longer if you laugh. :)

Thank you to the posters who enlightened me on a serious subject and thank you to those who made me laugh.

Edited to say I made this reply before reading the OP's backstory. It certainly explains your concern and I am glad others were able to reassure you. They reassured me too and most did it without a superior put down.

I still stand by my statement on the health value of humour though. In trying circumstances I always seek out the people who make me laugh.

Edited by sapper1

Oh darn! Have the silly police arrived? Right then.

This is all VERY SERIOUS, people!

There is NO place for any sort of joking around about matters of POSSIBLE RADIATION EXPOSURE!!!!111!!one!!11!eleven!

Sarcastic, sciencey comics and irreverent humour laden articles (no matter how relevant and informational) are a completely inappropriate way to approach this highly important matter!

Fart jokes, on the other hand, are still totally cool. ;)

Some people take things way to serious, and fart jokes stink.

You have asked a good question.

When on board I would ask the Chief Engineer about this just to get his take.

In the interim I just would not worry about it.

Keith

If you are not sure who is the chief engineer, he is the one who glows in the dark.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I still stand by my statement on the health value of humour though. In trying circumstances I always seek out the people who make me laugh.

It's true. Just Google "laughter is the best medicine" and you'll see that you are correct.