Road Scholar Group

Stratheden

I have just noticed that our next cruise has a group "Road Scholar Group" on board.

Has anyone been on a cruise with this group? How large is the group? Did they disrupt the normal activities at all?

So how do you find out if there are any groups onboard ?

Thanks

I am sooooo worried about travelling with a knitters group. Do you think that they will 'yarn' all day and all night? Also worried that they will 'needle' me if I have to share a table in the MDR. I am guessing that they will have a very structured 'pattern' for each day.

What a 'purl' of a statement!

There is often a Road Scholars group with us on various Voyages to Antiquity sailings. They have a similar philosophy to that line in terms of having excellent onboard lectures and guides. But you'd never really know they are onboard (other than the occasional announcement for their 'extra' lecture), even on a ship of only about 300 people!

Road Scholars groups are no trouble at all. They are small groups so they use one of the small rooms for their extra lectures. We spent some time with one of their groups on a cruise once and thoroughly enjoyed our interaction with them. So, not only are they not disruptive, they and their group leader were very interesting people--you probably don't need to worry about them hogging the poolside lounges.

Edited by mcmarya

I did have an interesting experience with one then Elderhostel group. One day our "scenic cruising" day in Greenland was cancelled because of the weather and ice in the way. Of course we were all disappointed but that's life. A substitute port was not really available so it was a sea day - with a number of extra ship activities, lectures, etc. added to keep the masses happy.

Well that morning I was at the front desk with a question and noticed that the group was with their leader "whining/moaning" about what or what could they do that day. There was nothing to do onboard and they pestered the leader to give some lectures so they had something to do. Well, he finally agreed to do one that afternoon, which seemed to somewhat placate the group. They obviously had no idea of what was available that day (a number of great lectures for example), because they were so focused on their leader and special lectures. Now, I know their group options on board and shore were excellent, but I would have thought they might have had fun experiencing shipboard life for one day. Guess not.

By the way, this was the east bound part of the Voyage of the Vikings. The group was only onboard for the east bound part. For those of us on the whole trip, we were able to cruise the same passage on our way home.

Edited by wander

Elder Hostel or whatever it was called when we took Voyage of the Vikings some years ago had a group on board. There were no ship excursions in Greenland so we were wandering around with some friends as we often do anyway. As we were standing around looking at something and taking pictures, the Elder Hostel group was nearby with their leader who stopped her commentary and yelled at us that they were on a private tour and we should not be listening in, or something to that effect. After that we referred to them as the Hostel Elders.

Elder Hostel or whatever it was called when we took Voyage of the Vikings some years ago had a group on board. There were no ship excursions in Greenland so we were wandering around with some friends as we often do anyway. As we were standing around looking at something and taking pictures, the Elder Hostel group was nearby with their leader who stopped her commentary and yelled at us that they were on a private tour and we should not be listening in, or something to that effect. After that we referred to them as the Hostel Elders.

I would say that is not typical. I have led Elder hostel (as it was known then) groups in the past and I often had people nearby and sometimes very obviously listening in on my lectures. No bother unless they were pushing my people to the back. Talked to some of them later and they were interested in taking some of the courses later. Most leaders would not be that grumpy. I always had a lot of fun leading those trips.... people were, for the most part, interested and interesting (with a few exceptions - and they are always among us). Sure beat hauling the college students around Europe.

Susan

I would say that is not typical. I have led Elder hostel (as it was known then) groups in the past and I often had people nearby and sometimes very obviously listening in on my lectures. No bother unless they were pushing my people to the back. Talked to some of them later and they were interested in taking some of the courses later. Most leaders would not be that grumpy. I always had a lot of fun leading those trips.... people were, for the most part, interested and interesting (with a few exceptions - and they are always among us). Sure beat hauling the college students around Europe.

Susan

I agree. Definitely NOT typical. I've shared "space" with them onboard Aegean Odyssey at least 5 times and the guides have always been gracious. Twice, they have contributed extra commentary when the ship was sailing in a particularly scenic area -- for example when we sailed by Mount Athos, she provided commentary about the various monasteries we could see from the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

two family members had to cancel last minute due to health reasons and had not purchase the insurance! (The Seine: D-Day Beaches to Paris - Land & Water Cruise with Road Scholar this Sept. 2-15, 2015. Program # 12416) I am trying to help them out! Anyone have any experience with Last Minute Cancellations through Roads Scholar?

I know that road scholar does offer some insurance as part of the package but to be fully covered they should have purchased the optional insurance. They do have transfer/cancel options but you need to call road scholar and explain the situation to them. If you can, get the confirmation # before you call so they can reference your situation specifically. Go on their website: http://www.roadscholar.org If you can't get the confirmation # call them right away anyway, the clock is ticking!

Edited by oaktreerb