Canon Camera decision to be made!

travgurl

We leave next week for Alaska, so excited!!! I have a canon power shot sx 280 to use for the trip. It has the 20 zoom lens. I am trying to decide if I should purchase the canon power shot sx 700 hs. It has a 30 zoom lens. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Remember as you Zoom out more it is harder to steady and the picture may get grainier. We just bought the ELPH 170 IS and at 3/4 full zoom t is vry hard to keep it steady.

^^^^ this!

I think you will be fine with what you have. If it is that far away you probably won't get a great photo anyways, so soak it in and just enjoy the memory. Have a wonderful trip Alaska is amazing!

I have the same camera as you and I find it fantastic for scenery and such! I would stick with what you have! I know I'm depending on mine for my Alaska cruise in two weeks (along with an older fujifilm waterproof camera in case of heavy rain).

Just a tip for steadying it when using the full zoom - hold it resting on a railing or other steady object (making sure you have the wrist strap secured!). It makes a huge difference!

Edited by Newbcruiser1