Power Strips on Alaska Cruise

fin

I am always in awe of the information provided by chengkp75 - however, HAL should be providing the information themselves rather than relying on someone educating others on an internet forum. That's my point - put the warning in the cruise docs or on their website. After all, it has been said that only a very minute percentage of cruisers are Cruise Critic members;).

I suspect that not so many years ago, the average passenger carried little or nothing in the way of electrical devices and the cabin plugs were sufficient. Consequently, it wasn't an issue that HAL needed to address. Times have changed, but HAL has only responded minimally to passengers' current requirements and practices. As you say, this is something that should be addressed in the cruise docs.

Thank you, jtl513. I think they should make it more prominent, especially as just about everyone brings some kind of extension or power bar.
In reality significant power surges on ships are not a big problem, and many or most cruisers do not read the fine print carefully, so most ships don't confiscate power strips with surge suppressors regularly.

The OP asked "will it be confiscated", and the answer is "possibly". Those of us in the know can avoid that possibility, and the possibility of causing ship alarm or damage problems, by simply using power strips without surge suppression.

Aside: I wonder what the Koningsdam will provide for recharging our stuff?

Edited by jtl513

I suspect that not so many years ago, the average passenger carried little or nothing in the way of electrical devices and the cabin plugs were sufficient. Consequently, it wasn't an issue that HAL needed to address. Times have changed, but HAL has only responded minimally to passengers' current requirements and practices. As you say, this is something that should be addressed in the cruise docs.

Since HAL seems to cater to older clientele (who, by nature, tend to need more medical devices such as C-Pap machines, etc.), really, I would've thought they would be at the forefront of explaining the dangers, especially when people are having to run extension cords across the room for their much-needed medical devices. That, in itself, seems to cause quite a safety concern should someone need to evacuate their room quickly.

Since HAL seems to cater to older clientele (who, by nature, tend to need more medical devices such as C-Pap machines, etc.), really, I would've thought they would be at the forefront of explaining the dangers, especially when people are having to run extension cords across the room for their much-needed medical devices. That, in itself, seems to cause quite a safety concern should someone need to evacuate their room quickly.

Yes, I've often wondered why they haven't included plugs along with the multiple light switches by the bed. As jtl513 says, it will be interesting to see if the Koningsdam has been better designed in this regard.

A very sincere "thank you" to all those who responded.

I will tell them it is a "definite maybe", as it usually is.:)

I am floored that they are leaving a week today and STILL do not know the name of the ship!

I am floored that they are leaving a week today and STILL do not know the name of the ship!
Do you know what port they are sailing from?

If they are sailing 7/25 from Vancouver it's the Noordam

If they are sailing 7/25 from Seattle it's Westerdam

If they're leaving home 7/25 and sailing 7/26 from Seattle it's Amsterdam

If they're leaving home 7/25 and sailing 7/26 from Seward it's Oosterdam

If they're leaving home 7/25 and sailing 7/26 from Vancouver it's Zaandam

:D

A very sincere "thank you" to all those who responded.

I will tell them it is a "definite maybe", as it usually is.:)

I am floored that they are leaving a week today and STILL do not know the name of

the ship!

They just need to look & download their paperwork. Sure a H--- hope they logged in and checked in and filled out info for their documents ONLINE.

My acct - Join: set up acct plus they will need their HAL reservation #

Need to fill out Passport info and credit card info....

Download boarding documents!!!!

Edited by JVilleGal

JVille gal, I am not even sure they have a computer or connect to the internet. Is this something which is an absolute requirement, or just something that makes it easier for HAL when they board? [He is a WWII vet, not a kid]

JVille gal, I am not even sure they have a computer or connect to the internet. Is this something which is an absolute requirement, or just something that makes it easier for HAL when they board? [He is a WWII vet, not a kid]

If they booked thru a travel agent then they can have them do it.... You could take your laptop over there and sign them up! Absolute, No, expected, pretty much.... But I agree my folks would have been clueless too!

Just wondering how the heck they booked the cruise and they should get documents from HAL 3 to 4 weeks before sailing. On line they can "from the comfort of home" look over excursions they may want to take and pre-book & pay and not need stand in long lines or try to figure stuff out real fast.

Someone really should help them set up their online acct, let them look over tours, make dinner reservations. Understand how things work a bit before they board the ship.

Last thing Please Please tell me they are flying in at least the day before and not trying to fly the day they board the ship! A recipe for disaster...

I cannot find HAL's official prohibited list either. I've found links to other sites (shipdetective) that list HALs prohibited items. My guess is power strips could be confiscated. I've used that Bellini model in my home for ove a year in my kitchen and I really like it. I bought a "powercube" at Amazon. It has a 5ft cord. But, I might trade it out for my Belkin, which is probably more in compliance.

I cannot find HAL's official prohibited list either. I've found links to other sites (shipdetective) that list HALs prohibited items. My guess is power strips could be confiscated. I've used that Bellini model in my home for ove a year in my kitchen and I really like it. I bought a "powercube" at Amazon. It has a 5ft cord. But, I might trade it out for my Belkin, which is probably more in compliance.

Quite the opposite, as the PowerCube has no surge protector while the Belkin has. Keep the Belkin at home and the PowerCube on board.

There is no separate list of prohibited items that I'm aware of, but the previously mentioned KBYG document does mention some (all?). http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

Edited by Fouremco

Just wondering how the heck they booked the cruise and they should get documents from HAL 3 to 4 weeks before sailing. On line they can "from the comfort of home" look over excursions they may want to take and pre-book & pay and not need stand in long lines or try to figure stuff out real fast.

Someone really should help them set up their online acct, let them look over tours, make dinner reservations. Understand how things work a bit before they board the ship.

Last thing Please Please tell me they are flying in at least the day before and not trying to fly the day they board the ship! A recipe for disaster...

HAL no longer sends documents. You have to log on to your account and download and print the boarding passes. HAL will send an email when the documents are available for printing. However, information must be completed online before the boarding passes can be issued. A travel agent, if they are using one, should be able to help with this.

Edited by sapper1

HAL no longer sends documents. You have to log on to your account and download and print the boarding passes. HAL will send an email when the documents are available for printing. However, information must be completed online before the boarding passes can be issued. A travel agent, if they are using one, should be able to help with this.

I'm thinking the OP's elderly couple have a much bigger problem than they know about!!! :eek:

Possibly. I am unhappy at the thought that a cruise line which caters largely to an elderly population has never encountered a couple who do NOT use email etc.

I have another dear friend who is now 98 years old and who steadfastly and devoutly refuses to use a computer for any purpose whatsoever. He still drives, does shopping for himself and his wife of sixty years, enjoys walks and people watching etc, but still pays all bills by check and has no idea (nor does he care a bit) about facebook, youtube and the rest of it.

Maybe a little bit of me envies them. Certainly it will not be the first time in their long marriage when they encounter unexpected roadblocks because of their lack of comfort with 21st century methodology.

I DO NOT KNOW, and am now almost 1,500 miles away from their preparations.

My very close association with quite a few people of his generation has given me a healthy dose of respect for their abilities to cope with unusual circumstances thrust upon them by whatever forces.

Further, and equally important is a clear understanding of how unlikely they are to change their habits or procedures because of my advising them it might be a good idea to do so. This ain't my first rodeo!

Again, respect and thanks for ALL the responses, which were not only helpful but also heart felt and kind. This can be a very warm and fuzzy website sometimes.

• 1 month later...

I just had a chat with HAL and they gave me the following info:

Power bars (with or without surge protectors) and extension cords are permitted. (For some reason, though she asked what ship we are sailing on <Noordam)

Automatic shut off kettles (and obviously non auto shut offs) are not allowed.

Edited by ehogan

I suspect you are mistaken here. I am certain that the Front Desk would never lend out any electrical device containing a surge suppressor.

On the other hand, each of the cords could well have had a dual line circuit breaker (which is often confused with a surge suppressor.) However, though the two devices look similar and both can cut off the electrical current, they are quite different in the way they function.

Scott & Karen

Just off the Westerdam there was a power strip in the drawer it had a surge protector it was stamped property of Holland Americia with the logo.

Just saying.

Good friends of mine are leaving at the end of this month for a Holland America cruise in Alaska (they did not know name of the ship!)

If they take a new power strip with multi outlets, will it be confiscated when they board?

[i DID try a search here before asking]

I was on the Noordam last week, had a 4 outlet power strip, no surge protector and it was confiscated,

We managed with just our adapter but not impressed

Thanks, Tights for that heads up. I did the "chat" with them again and this was the result:

Customer: Hello, Katie. We are sailing on the Noordam Sept. 29 and yesterday I chatted here with Nora who stated that power strips with or without surge protectors are allowed on board.

Customer: today, however I heard that a passenger last week on the Noordam had her power strip with no surge protector confiscated. Could you please confirm what the policy is, I don't want to bring one and have it taken away. Thanks

Katie: Unfortunately, power strips are not onboard. If you need an extension cord, you would be able to request one by e-mailing the ship coordinator, Shane at smacomber@hollandamerica.com.

Customer: OK, odd that I would receive two different answers from HAL personnel.

Katie: I am sorry about the misinformation.

Customer: Thank you, Goodbye

Katie: Thank you for contacting us. It was my pleasure to assist you today, and I hope that I have been able to answer all of your questions. If you have any more questions always feel free to call or chat with us again.

So I guess at HAL policies are dependant on who you are asking.

Sorry for temporarily leading anyone astray.

Thanks, Tights for that heads up. I did the "chat" with them again and this was the result:

Customer: Hello, Katie. We are sailing on the Noordam Sept. 29 and yesterday I chatted here with Nora who stated that power strips with or without surge protectors are allowed on board.

Customer: today, however I heard that a passenger last week on the Noordam had her power strip with no surge protector confiscated. Could you please confirm what the policy is, I don't want to bring one and have it taken away. Thanks

Katie: Unfortunately, power strips are not onboard. If you need an extension cord, you would be able to request one by e-mailing the ship coordinator, Shane at smacomber@hollandamerica.com.

Customer: OK, odd that I would receive two different answers from HAL personnel.

Katie: I am sorry about the misinformation.

Customer: Thank you, Goodbye

Katie: Thank you for contacting us. It was my pleasure to assist you today, and I hope that I have been able to answer all of your questions. If you have any more questions always feel free to call or chat with us again.

So I guess at HAL policies are dependant on who you are asking.

Sorry for temporarily leading anyone astray.

Thanks for the post. I think. :rolleyes: It can be so frustrating trying to get a straight and consistent answer from HAL.

I'd be really interested in seeing the answer from Shane should you decide to follow up with him.

Edited by Fouremco