Availability/Cost of Unlimited Internet

psygist

Does Celebrity have unlimited internet packages and if so what is the cost?

Do they discount the cost for Elite level Captains Club members?

Trying to figure out which Go package is best for my next cruise.

Here's a twist.

About to book a cruise in CS, I find that one of the benefits is unlimited internet. But my TA tells me the small print says that it's only in the iLounge or whatever X calls it. So if you want to log your own device in or maybe download documents to read at leisure (okay I know it's sad but some of us never really switch off) then tough luck, buy a package.

Personally, I have no interest in unlimited if I have to sit looking at a second rate screen in a communal area and listening again and again to the same questions about how to get set up from people who can't be bothered to read the flyer. I want to sit on a sun lounger with a cold one and tell the world how wonderful my on board life is.

Does anyone have experience of the free unlimited package to allay my fears? Can I connect my own device and actually download my e-mails?

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

Could you have your TA point you to where they said that they saw this? I don't believe it's accurate. AFAIK once you have created your account you can use it anywhere on any device. If what your TA said turns out to be accurate that's a huge change.

Here's a twist.

About to book a cruise in CS, I find that one of the benefits is unlimited internet. But my TA tells me the small print says that it's only in the iLounge or whatever X calls it. So if you want to log your own device in or maybe download documents to read at leisure (okay I know it's sad but some of us never really switch off) then tough luck, buy a package.

Personally, I have no interest in unlimited if I have to sit looking at a second rate screen in a communal area and listening again and again to the same questions about how to get set up from people who can't be bothered to read the flyer. I want to sit on a sun lounger with a cold one and tell the world how wonderful my on board life is.

Does anyone have experience of the free unlimited package to allay my fears? Can I connect my own device and actually download my e-mails?

THE BAD NEWS: Unless you are saying that unlimited internet is a promotional offer, your TA is totally incorrect! Unlimited internet comes only with RS and above.

THE GOOD NEWS: However, if you do have unlimited internet, it is not just available in the iLounge. That would be pretty useless when you consider how often the iLounge is being used for classes. Even in a PH on an M-class ship as far aft as you can get, I was able to access the internet on my own tablet during the whole cruise.

Edited by Project_gal

THE BAD NEWS: Unless you are saying that unlimited internet is a promotional offer, your TA is totally incorrect! Unlimited internet comes only with RS and above.

THE GOOD NEWS: However, if you do have unlimited internet, it is not just available in the iLounge. That would be pretty useless when you consider how often the iLounge is being used for classes. Even in a PH on an M-class ship as far aft as you can get, I was able to access the internet on my own tablet during the whole cruise.

It's a promotion, as is the OBC and the premium drinks package I got. I obviously don't have it in writing (yet) since I have literally only just this minute put the phone down after finalising the booking so I'll see what comes through on the paperwork.

Edited by Chunky2219

It's a promotion, as is the OBC and the premium drinks package I got. I obviously don't have it in writing (yet) since I have literally only just this minute put the phone down after finalising the booking so I'll see what comes through on the paperwork.

I have booked with that promotion too (Eclipse). I just checked my confirmation invoice and it says free unlimited wifi. It doesn't state any restrictions and as it says wifi, I would have thought you could use it in your stateroom. I hope so!

It's per cabin. We purchased a smaller/cheaper package and was able to connect multiple devices.

I'm pretty sure that only 1 device can be connected at a time. As far as I know, it only includes 1 sign-in.

Jane

It's per cabin. We purchased a smaller/cheaper package and was able to connect multiple devices.

Unlimited can only have 1 device signed in at a time, the per-minute packages can be signed in on as many as you'd like.

It's not really per cabin OR per device.

It's per username/password.

You can share your sign-in information with as many people as you wish, but only one device can be logged in at a time.

We purchased the unlimited package on our last cruise and shared the username/password with our daughters and their plus-ones so all six of us were able to have access, but we did have to take turns.

To provide more complete info, here is what the FAQ currently lists for internet options:

From: http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions

Q: Is there Wi-Fi onboard?

A: Most ships in our fleet offer Wi-Fi connectivity throughout, with the exception of Celebrity Century® and Celebrity Xpedition®, which offer Wi-Fi in public areas. Internet access is available in the Celebrity iLounge℠ 24 hours a day on all ships except Celebrity Century. Celebrity Century® features Online@Celebrity℠, an Internet lounge that provides e-mail services and Internet access 24 hours a day. You will be able to receive email, satellite conditions permitting. We also have an Internet Manager on board to assist you with questions or to set up an Internet Package at a nominal fee.

You can connect to the Internet on each ship, either by accessing a 24/7 wireless connection "hotspot" with your own laptop or tablet, or utilizing the resources of the Internet lounge and its computers on board. You will be able to receive email, via satellite link 24 hours a day, satellite conditions permitting.

Internet Packages

Internet Rates

Price

As You Go: $0.79 / Minute (Pay by the minute)

Browsing: $59 / 90 Minutes

Social $109 / 240 minutes

Day Pass: $59 / Day (One full day of continuous access)

Unlimited: $299 / 6-9 Day Voyage: $349 / 10-14 Day Voyage

Captain's Club Premium Offers are distributed onboard may not apply to all packages. Internet rates and packages are subject to change without prior notice.

Notice that unlimited is $349 for voyages longer than 9 days and that there is no distinction made between using the ships computers or your own device.

Jane

Thanks for clarification and sorry for the confusion due to my recent post. I didn't realize it's different with the unlimited package.

Not a problem. Nice of you to report exactly how it was in your personal experience. These things just always seem to turn out to be more complicated than one would imagine :D

Slightly off topic but does anyone know the opening hours of the iLounge?

Thanks

Lady Meer,

Not sure if this is what you are asking but here are the hours of the iLounge (on the Infinity recently)

Open 24 hours

Staffed: 9a - 12noon, 2p - 5p, 7p - 11p

Hope this helps.

Jane: Thanks :)

Peter

Edited by mccoy132

With this new package, I am really curious to hear from people on board how the speed is. It's so dreadfully slow normally that I can't even imagine what it would be like with a lot more people having the unlimited package

On our Millennium transpacific with a total of 11 sea days I had no problem using the unlimited Internet except when we spend a day at anchor off Victoria Island being searched for Gypsy Moth eggs. Then it was slow and kept dropping out but I assumed that most of the ship was trying to print boarding passes.

I admit that I am an early risers and logged on each morning before most people were up and about but, other than the day mentioned, whenever I did try to log on at other times, I had no problems at all. I had no pressing need to use the Internet and had not expected to use it but the experience was positive enough that I used it as I do at home - when I thought of something, I just turned to the Internet for an answer. I certainly would not have bothered if reception had been iffy.

Edited by Project_gal

Does Celebrity have unlimited internet packages and if so what is the cost?

Do they discount the cost for Elite level Captains Club members?

Trying to figure out which Go package is best for my next cruise.

To answer your question...

Cost for 14 day recently was $349, so I assume the prices quoted in post 15 are up to date; Elite discount was 30% and I guess that applies to the other packages, but maybe not the p/minute rate???

Sadly, even with a router right outside my door, downloading and sending mails was very slow and browsing positively painful - so you shouldn't rely on your Elite free 90 minutes getting you very far!

Edited by WesternTrader

I just got off the Silhouette last week. I am an elite member. I was given 90 free minutes of internet (which went very quickly) and then reverted to the $349 cost for a 12 day cruise.

Did you happen to inquire about getting the 30% Elite credit for unlimited package, or was it too late once you had used the 90 free minutes that automatically came up when you first logged in?

Edited by JaneStarr
Suppress Signature

We had unlimited internet during our TA in May. There is now an option to arrange for internet through the Celebrity website before boarding. However, we were able to score 30% off based on our status after boarding. Each passenger is eligible for an account, internet was available throughout the ship and one device at a time can be logged per account. DH and I just shared a single account. We were aboard Connie and found that speeds have improved but were subject to the usual weather, and satellite issues.