Self disembark Cape Liberty New Jersey

We are Canadians and have self disembarked in Ft. lauderdale (holland america) and in Baltimore ( Carnival). However last year we sailed on the Brilliance out of Baltimore and even though we had to present our passports to US custom officials who came on the ship a few days prior to returning to Boston, we were not allowed to self disembark.

We are sailing from Cape Liberty in January on the Anthem and were wondering, based on others experiences, if we would be able to self disembark there?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

I don't know about self disembark but getting to JFK at that hour can be tight. Assuming you actually get off and there is no wait at customs and you have preplanned transportation and are pulling away from the pier by 7:30 you need to understand you are dealing with morning rush hour traffic. You should be ok but it will still be close. Which cruise? We are on the 1/28 cruise.

I would be grateful to know the same as we are doing the anthem in January and our flight is at 11:20 from JFK so ideally need to be off the ship at 7am!

Oh boy, that's not a trivial drive.

An international flight from JFK I believe requires you to be checked in 2 hours before your flight. You would need to be at the airport at 9:20. Very little chance that will happen with the constant gridlock around JFK.

I hope you get insurance, because it is likely you will miss that flight because you are to late for check in.

I would be grateful to know the same as we are doing the anthem in January and our flight is at 11:20 from JFK so ideally need to be off the ship at 7am!

Any way for you to change that flight to Newark (EWR)?

For the uninitiated, what does this term mean?

Self-assist disembarkation is when you take all of your own luggage off the ship yourself, with no help from the crew or carts. It enables you to leave the ship earlier because you don't have to wait for the luggage to be staged in the terminal.

We are Canadians and have self disembarked in Ft. lauderdale (holland america) and in Baltimore ( Carnival). However last year we sailed on the Brilliance out of Baltimore and even though we had to present our passports to US custom officials who came on the ship a few days prior to returning to Boston, we were not allowed to self disembark.

We are sailing from Cape Liberty in January on the Anthem and were wondering, based on others experiences, if we would be able to self disembark there?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I wish I could remember. I don't remember any country restrictions on self assist on a closed loop cruise. Brilliance was likely an issue because it was not closed loop. (Brilliance does a Baltimore to Boston cruise? TA?)

Are you trying to make a flight or are you driving?

Also, even if you can self-assist the lines can be very long. There may even be separate groups.

Mar56 and nixmaria - please post your exact cruise dates, number of people, country of citizenship, airport,and flight time. No one is going to recommend booking an EWR flight before noon. JFK is a whole other ballgame since it's so much farther away. If you're locked into your flights, you're going to have to understand exactly what you must do to have any chance at all of making these flights. There are so many possible points of failure trying to go to JFK.

Here are some recent discussions from the East Coast Board about making early flights from the Anthem -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...63707&page=154

Posts 3075-3082

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2518524

I don't know about self disembark but getting to JFK at that hour can be tight. Assuming you actually get off and there is no wait at customs and you have preplanned transportation and are pulling away from the pier by 7:30 you need to understand you are dealing with morning rush hour traffic. You should be ok but it will still be close. Which cruise? We are on the 1/28 cruise.

We are on that one too :) we've just changed our flight to the 22:30 one as we don't want to risk it. No idea what we will do for the whole day but it's better than stressing the whole time about whether or not we will make it home!

Nope none go directly to Gatwick from there but we've managed to change our flight to 22:30 for a small fee

Excellent. At least you will be in New York with all kinds of things to do if you like.

We are on that one too :) we've just changed our flight to the 22:30 one as we don't want to risk it. No idea what we will do for the whole day but it's better than stressing the whole time about whether or not we will make it home!

You can take a car service to Schwartz Travel in Manhattan to check your luggage for the day (http://www.schwartztravel.com) and then take a cab or car service later to JFK.

What day of the week do you disembark? Exact date would be helpful to offer ideas about what to do in Manhattan.

Nope none go directly to Gatwick from there but we've managed to change our flight to 22:30 for a small fee

Much better. Why worry the whole time that the ship arrives on time and that you are the first one off. And with an international flight they usually require earlier checkin. Look forward to meeting you on the cruise. Did you visit the cruise board and sign up for mix & mingle?

Sorry, I wish I could remember. I don't remember any country restrictions on self assist on a closed loop cruise. Brilliance was likely an issue because it was not closed loop. (Brilliance does a Baltimore to Boston cruise? TA?)

Are you trying to make a flight or are you driving?

Also, even if you can self-assist the lines can be very long. There may even be separate groups.

I've never known the Brilliance to leave from Baltimore. Only the Grandeur leaves from Baltimore.

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks in advance.

We are Canadians and self disembarked the Anthem in February of this year.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Forums mobile app

Much better. Why worry the whole time that the ship arrives on time and that you are the first one off. And with an international flight they usually require earlier checkin. Look forward to meeting you on the cruise. Did you visit the cruise board and sign up for mix & mingle?

Absolutely it's not worth the stress. You too😊 Nope what's that?

You can take a car service to Schwartz Travel in Manhattan to check your luggage for the day (www.schwartztravel.com) and then take a cab or car service later to JFK.

What day of the week do you disembark? Exact date would be helpful to offer ideas about what to do in Manhattan.

Thank you. It's on a Friday. The cruise offer an excursion where you can tour Manhattan and then they take you to the airport, although I'm waiting for them to clarify exactly what it is (I.e a walking tour or bus tour). However as we are staying in NY 4 days before the cruise, we probably would have already done this, but better than waiting in an airport all day!

Thank you. It's on a Friday. The cruise offer an excursion where you can tour Manhattan and then they take you to the airport, although I'm waiting for them to clarify exactly what it is (I.e a walking tour or bus tour). However as we are staying in NY 4 days before the cruise, we probably would have already done this, but better than waiting in an airport all day!

I am on the 1/28/18 cruise. The roll call is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2360026&page=25

At the top of the page on the second banner down is a link to sign up for the Meet and Mingle.

My understanding is that the post cruise tour is primarily a bus tour.

I am on the 1/28/18 cruise. The roll call is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2360026&page=25

At the top of the page on the second banner down is a link to sign up for the Meet and Mingle.

My understanding is that the post cruise tour is primarily a bus tour.

Ohh thank you! I'm so new to this. Ive enrolled now :)