Meteora Monasteries

paradiselivin1

I have a few quick questions for anyone who has been to the monasteries recently: Can you find local guides at the monasteries without having to pre-book? We have a driver who is not a tour guide & have checked a few online sites & not sure if I can find someone available a month from now. I have read some opinions that a guide may not be necessary but would like to find one at a reasonable rate. Also, how firm are the dress rules with respect to the length of a woman's dress?? Mine are an inch or two shy of covering the knees and wonder if this is an issue as I don't want to be turned away at the "door".

I was there late October 2014. I don't recall seeing any guides available at the monasteries, but I wasn't really looking for one.

They are very strict about dress. If your knees are not well covered, they will provide you with a wrap to put on over your skirt. If you have an issue wearing the wrap, then take a LONG skirt about which there's no doubt!

I have visited but i used no guide, so i cannot comment on this one.

Besides a guide, i 'd say the most important thing is to have ample time. Views are simply stunning and the whole thing needs time, so invest as much time as available. . . it's a unique place.

Yeap, rules about knees covered are strict in these monasteries. A long skirt is the best / easiest way to do it. Just wear it over your cloths when you arrive, so no need to change anywhere.

Another rule has to do with shoulders too. Although they may be somewhat flexible on this, women AND men are advised to wear a t-shirt instead of a sleeveless shirt. Outside in the cities or the rural areas is just somehting normal but anything there that would show too much flesh is really somewhat ugh.

When i visit and that's usually summer i wear pants over my summer outfit, or athletic pants. It's not something necessary really but i do it out of respect specifically in monastic environments.

As a Greece local i cannot advise any local guides or businesses, still with a quick search in Google someone can find some options, so, since you have time ahead you can always request a pricing for what you have in mind for the day.

Edited by nick_arch

Thanks, Nick. I was hoping you would chime in as well. I do have a long skirt that I can wear but thought it may be difficult to climb all of those steps with a long, ankle length skirt or dress. I'm certainly looking to be respectful but also don't want to worry about tripping with a long skirt/dress. I already knew about covering the shoulders and will do so but wanted to double check on the skirt/dress length.

Thanks, Nick. I was hoping you would chime in as well. I do have a long skirt that I can wear but thought it may be difficult to climb all of those steps with a long, ankle length skirt or dress. I'm certainly looking to be respectful but also don't want to worry about tripping with a long skirt/dress. I already knew about covering the shoulders and will do so but wanted to double check on the skirt/dress length.

Regarding your driver- is this a company you hired from Athens on a per day basis? I have researched several and have a short list of three companies. They basically charge an average of 360E per day. Do you have any info to share on a driver?

Thanks

Regarding your driver- is this a company you hired from Athens on a per day basis? I have researched several and have a short list of three companies. They basically charge an average of 360E per day. Do you have any info to share on a driver?

Thanks

No, Canuck. Our first port is Volos after leaving Athens which is where we have arranged for a van (seats 8) for 280 euros for the day. You can also Google and find tours starting in Kalambaka but if you are based in Athens, obviously you would have to get there first. I have checked many of the old threads on this site searching for Meteora ~ you may find some other useful things there. Happy travels.

• 2 weeks later...
Paradiselivin1 - What date/ship are you on? I just posted to my roll call looking for a tour to join.

Emerald Princess departing Athens on August 22nd. I don't think you're on our cruise as I don't remember seeing a post but our group is full, anyhow. It's pretty easy to find people who want to do the same and, depending on group size, just hire a driver with a van or car. We're using a van that can accommodate 8 of us. Enjoy your cruise!