Canadian DUI going to Alaska

kqcallahan

I'm having a moment because I just realized one of the people going on our cruise has a DUI from years back. Finding info seems to be all about American DUI trying to enter Canada :s So looking for help

We are all Canadians. Will he (the person who has the DUI on record) be able to board the ship in Vancouver and go into Alaska ok? or is there gonna be issues? Thanks!

IMO the person who has the DUI on his record should contact the United States State Dept. & ask them..

Since Canada technically could restrict USA citizens from entering Canada if they have DUI's on their record, the USA authorities might do the same for Canadian citizens who have DUI's, but I honestly don't know..

According to Customs & Border Protection:

"A single DUI conviction is not grounds to deny entry into the U.S; however, multiple DUI convictions or a DUI conviction in combination with other misdemeanor offenses can make a person inadmissible and require a waiver prior to entering the United States. A crime of moral turpitude (CIMT) may be grounds to deny entry to the U.S. "

You might want to take a look at this article which suggests that there should not be a problem: https://www.defencelaw.com/printversion-drinking-driving.html#TraveltoUS

You might also want to contact the US Consulate in Halifax which is responsible for the Maritimes.

If the conviction is more than 5 years old, it would be a good idea to acquire a pardon.

Edited by Fouremco

According to this WEB site: Quote: Drunk Driving

Canadian Citizens: If there have been any convictions, take a copy of your conviction with you to show the Customs and Border Protection officer at the border. If the conviction was simply for driving under the influence, with no aggravating factors, there should be no problem with your travel to the U.S. However, the CBP Officials make all final determinations regarding entry into the United States.

Unquote

Quote Canadian citizens with any criminal record should contact the DHS or CBP at a Port of Entry well in advance of travel to the United States to determine whether their criminality makes them ineligible for admission without a waiver of ineligibility. Please also consult the CBP website for more information.

If you are ineligible to enter the United States, you may apply for a waiver of ineligibility. This will involve completing an Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Non-Immigrant (Form I-192). This form is available from DHS/CBP from CBP at either a U.S Port of Entry, or at any Canadian airport with a U.S. preclearance facility (Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montréal-Trudeau). The form(s) can also be downloaded from the Internet at the USCIS web site. CBP Ottawa Airport accepts applications 11:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday to Friday. There is a fee and it may take several months to process your application.

check out this WEB site: http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/visas/criminal-ineligibility.html

What is the person with the DUI conviction doing to research and clear up this question? The more (s)he has to face the reality of their action the less likely they are to repeat the offense....maybe?

None of us here can be absolutely sure what will happen when you all check in or when you arrive in Canada. The Canadian Official will make that decision.

What is the person with the DUI conviction doing to research and clear up this question? The more (s)he has to face the reality of their action the less likely they are to repeat the offense....maybe?

None of us here can be absolutely sure what will happen when you all check in or when you arrive in Canada. The Canadian Official will make that decision.

Actually, the OP is enquiring about a Canadian with a record for DUI wanting to enter the US, so it's a US official who will make the ultimate decision.

The person with the DUI should contact US Customs & Border Patrol - and get their answer in writing.

I've never known a Canadian that had trouble entering the US with just 1 DUI - but I know US citizens that were refused entry to Canada with one. Used to work for a trucking company and it was a big issue if the driver had a previous DUI. There was a way to get it "taken care of" and about 10 years ago it cost about $700 and filing a lot of paperwork.

We did an Alaska cruise and one of my relatives (in his 50's) had two DUI convictions from long ago (while in his 20's). A few months before the cruise, he sought a pardon through the Canadian system, and received it. We have travelled with these relatives several times to the U.S. and have never had even a question from U.S. customs authorities about the convictions.

I would strongly suggest looking into a pardon. I think it's fairly easy to get... it just takes a little time and there's a fee attached. A simple Google search will likely tell him how to proceed.

Good luck!

Actually, the OP is enquiring about a Canadian with a record for DUI wanting to enter the US, so it's a US official who will make the ultimate decision.

Please excuse my typo. The point is the same and I suspect most may have known what I meant. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Please excuse my typo. The point is the same and I suspect most may have known what I meant. :)

Sorry sail7seas, I wasn't trying to pick on you. :o I've seen a number of posts recently where people have inadvertently posted erroneous information that others have picked up and run with, and I was just trying to avoid a similar situation.

OP - your friend should contact the US Customs and Immigration dept - he or she will have to go through US to get on the ship, and Canadian when they get off. So best to get confirmation from the right source. As you can already see, there has been some confusion here on the situation.

Edited by Lizzie68

I've seen a number of posts recently where people have inadvertently posted erroneous information that others have picked up and run with, and I was just trying to avoid a similar situation.

I don't blame you. It's a helpful practice to correct erroneous information when someone sees it.

People who don't read every post somehow find the one with an error, and believe it. Maybe, just maybe, they will also see the correction.

Although Canada is stiffening up their regulations re US Citizens with DUI convictions entering Canada, I am much less familiar with Canadians entering the US and you will find conflicting advice on the internet and even on Cruise Critic. I think the best advice is to contact closest CBP office, which is likely Halifax, as there appears to be waiver that may be obtained for a very large fee.

http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/visas/criminal-ineligibility.html

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/760/~/entry-into-the-u.s.---canadian-with-criminal-record-or-overstay,-waiver

I had an impaired driving charge in Canada in 1997. I have gone into the US over 20 times since. The first time I crossed the border into the US I was asked if I had ever been denied entry into the US. The answer was no and I have never been asked about it again. A hard lesson to learn but I did.

Sorry sail7seas, I wasn't trying to pick on you. :o I've seen a number of posts recently where people have inadvertently posted erroneous information that others have picked up and run with, and I was just trying to avoid a similar situation.

I don't blame you. It's a helpful practice to correct erroneous information when someone sees it.

People who don't read every post somehow find the one with an error, and believe it. Maybe, just maybe, they will also see the correction.

Absolutely. My appreciation. :) A typo is a typo and should be corrected.