Cash Vs. Credit

cobb2113

Use a credit card. Pay the bill a month later using deflated money.

Never, ever use a debit card for this.

First, thank you everyone for the input.

Second, just for curiosity why never use a debit card? I mean I assume it would be really easy to overdraw the account but is there another reason?

They put a $200-300 hold on your card. And you won't be able to use that money even though you have it in your account. Credit cards usually have a higher limit than your checking account so that hold won't matter as much. It can also take a couple of days after the cruise for the hold to go away, so you won't have access to those funds.

First, thank you everyone for the input.

Second, just for curiosity why never use a debit card? I mean I assume it would be really easy to overdraw the account but is there another reason?

The reason is they put a hold on your account and they withdraw the money. So, lets say you have $1,000 in your bank and your on board account comes to $280 and there is a $350 hold and you are trying to make your last car payment of $500.

Now you are thinking that you paid $280 to the cruise line and $500 to the car company, so you should have $220 left in the bank. However, what the bank sees is $280 + $350 + $500 = $1,130. If you don't have overdraft protection you check will not clear.

But the cruise line got its money!!! Yes, but the withdrawal and the hold are two separate things. The withdrawal of the money does not automatically cancel the hold. I don't use my debit card for anything except withdrawing money from the bank. I've seen holds remain on my credit card for two weeks.

In addition a credit card has much greater consumer protection than a debit card does.

DO NOT USE A DEBIT CARD TO SECURE YOUR ON BOARD ACCOUNT.

Can you use one of these pre paid cards which you load with money like Caxton fx

I called NCL yesterday and they allow them to be used but you have to make sure they have enough for the initial hold ($300) to be covered. carnival also lets you use them but I'm not sure about others.

We're going on a cruise in October and I would like not to use the credit card. It says on the website that for a seven day cruise you need to deposit $300 and a longer cruise was $450 Per person. Is anyone aware of whether or not you can prepay these charges ,like you can your DSC ,and excursions ,specialty packages ,hotel packages etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am sorry, but in this day and age, why anyone would carry huge amounts of cash instead of using a credit card is beyond me. We were recently on a 32 day cruise, and our finally bill was over $2K. I cannot imagine running around with that kind of cash.

Can you use one of these pre paid cards which you load with money like Caxton fx

Read the fine print on those cards "good in the U.S. Only". Most cruise lines do not accept them but with the "for use in the U.S. Only " restrictions it may be a moot point anyway!

We're going on a cruise in October and I would like not to use the credit card. It says on the website that for a seven day cruise you need to deposit $300 and a longer cruise was $450 Per person. Is anyone aware of whether or not you can prepay these charges ,like you can your DSC ,and excursions ,specialty packages ,hotel packages etc.

These credit policies do vary by cruise line so you really need to directly contact your cruise line. In any event, this kind of issue can be handled during the embarkation/check-in process when you get to the port. During this process the clerk will ask for your credit card, which they will normally swipe and then use as the basis to cover your onboard account. Some folks will go through this process (which will put a credit hold on your credit card account) and later settle their onboard account by paying cash at Guest Relations (there are always some folks lining up on the final night to do this). However, if you refuse (or cannot) provide a credit card at embarkation then they can make arrangements for you to provide a cash deposit (which varies by cruise line) in lieu of a credit card. This means you have to have an awful lot of cash (most lines will also accept Travelers Checks).

Hank

I just spoke with Norwegian and you cannot prepay you're on board account ,that has to be at the time of boarding.well, because you have no on the board account until your onboard. Lol ,sooooo "card " it is . Happy cruising to all

But you can purchase "onboard credits" and in the end it works the same [emoji6]

Perhaps. But having onboard credits may not have much impact on the requirement of a credit card or cash deposit at embarkation. OBCs are often not credited to accounts until some time after the embarkation process. In the end it will all come out the same but the initial requirements may not be altered with those pre purchases.

Hank

We always use our airline credit card for everything. Groceries, gas, beer ;) and everything else.

Use the card for airfare, cruise, hotel, on board charges and tours. All add air miles. Air miles add up and we use those for the next cruise. Sorta like a great cash back deal.

• 3 weeks later...
We used to use credit cards but the last 4 cruises we switched to using cash. We would leave $1000 at the start and if we needed to add more we could or we could switch to credit card. With leaving cash the last night we would settle the account and get what was left over back in cash. We prefer cash because it helps limit unwanted spending. On one cruise while out at sea our account with a credit card was frozen because the bank saw fraudulent charges on it, luckily I had a back up, WHAT A HASSLE WHEN I GOT BACK HOME BOY I TELL YOU......an hour on the phone going over every charge, a bunch were made in the Carolinas while I was miles from land. All the Florida charges I had to agree with because that's where the cruise line goes to the bank. Plus if you max out your card by not paying attention to spending, when you need it you wont have it...But that is my opinion, not telling you what you should do.........But do check your balances daily any way which ever way you go, enjoy your cruise(s) and you try either credit or cash your choice your vacation.

This makes me hesitant now. Did you ever find out why/how your account was compromised?

Unfortunately no. I feel it happened at the port but no way for it to be proven.

OK, well that makes me feel slightly better. I plan on having two cards and cash. My card for the cruise I'll never get out unless needed and everything will go into the safe. Paranoia I guess.

I was thinking maybe the cruise ripped you off.

That sucks being tied up on your card. And having to deal with reps on the phone during/after your wonderful vacation. :/

Always 2 cards, never use a Debit for your ship acct. And cash is always good too. But a CC is necessary for a true emergency! (As in medical or a ticket home from some distant port) I am amazed at the people who board a ship with the minimum cash and no other financial resources, oh and no passport! What would happen if a real medical need came up, your child breaks a leg and you are put off the ship at the nearest (3rd world) Caribbean hospital. Please buy Travel Insurance and be financial prepared. End of rant!

Edited by JVilleGal

OK, well that makes me feel slightly better. I plan on having two cards and cash. My card for the cruise I'll never get out unless needed and everything will go into the safe. Paranoia I guess.

I was thinking maybe the cruise ripped you off.

That sucks being tied up on your card. And having to deal with reps on the phone during/after your wonderful vacation. :/

We had the cruise line do an investigation, didn't hear anything back until we called them months later...found out then the investigator no longer worked there. Spent a couple of hours with the credit company going over each charge, the most expensive being $68 or so. When the account shut down we were two and a half days at sea, now imagine if I didn't have another card. I was glad we got the soda packages for my kids in the beginning, if we hadn't they would have been out of luck. We are able to save money to pay for a cruise we are able to save money to cover our account, it's our preference. Just use credit cards now for emergencies, with a couple of instances of theft and we are now weary of using cards ALL the time.