Is the upsell fairy more likely to call someone who accepted an upsell in the past?

ZoeyVictoria

I received my first upsell call on my last Carnival cruise ($292 total for cheapest interior cabin to aft wrap balcony) three days before sailing. I happily accepted and loved the cabin. My significant other thinks that now that Carnival knows I am agreeable to an upsell, they will be calling again because they know I am easy/gullible. He laughs, but that would actually make me happy. What has your experience been; have you found that you are more likely to be called again after accepting one upsell?

I received my first upsell call on my last Carnival cruise ($292 total for cheapest interior cabin to aft wrap balcony) three days before sailing. I happily accepted and loved the cabin. My significant other thinks that now that Carnival knows I am agreeable to an upsell, they will be calling again because they know I am easy/gullible. He laughs, but that would actually make me happy. What has your experience been; have you found that you are more likely to be called again after accepting one upsell?

This is a good theory. I cannot for certain say yes one way or another, however we have received some type of upsell call on about half of our sailings with Carnival and have said no to about half of those.

My theory is either it is a blanket call to all or they consider the room cat you are in and what they may be able to sell your room for if you were to agree.

Either way... happy sailing!

The only upsell calls I have received have been from my PVP. She knows exactly what we want so if she sees something available for a good price she will call and won't waste her time or ours calling for something we wouldn't like. Spa balcony on Lido... no thanks, Aft balcony on 7... yes please! Suite on 7... quick, take my money!

My husband always laughs because he says Carnival always calls me instead of him even though we cruise together because Im quicker to hand over more money. But the ones I have accepted have been pretty good deals. Handing over more money seems to have paid off because today my PVP called with a free cruise offer, and I most graciously accepted lol. Anniversary cruise here we come!

I am going on my 5th Carnival cruise in September and I have received two of these upsell calls. I took advantage of both. I asked the lady on the last one what the criteria is. She said they just get a random list and call, but she did say that she tries to call the past cruisers first.

I think that the upsell calls go to the people that got in on a low rate. If Carnival can upsell them when it looks like a room will go empty they get more dollars. I've booked the last 2 cruises on either a last minute sale or caught a really good sale and have gotten an upsell offer a week out. Both were from inside to aft extended balconies and I took them for ~$300 total extra.

We've received calls on almost every cruise since we've been platinum. I've had the same theory as the original poster. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an indicator or a searchable phrase in our VIFP files.

I think about the approach I would take if this was my job. That team is constantly under pressure because Carnival has so many sailings every week. Management is going to get regular reports on each upsell fairy's performance.

I wouldn't want to waste my time on lengthy calls describing the benefits of each cabin category, discussing deck plans, how the upsell process works, etc. I would use the CCL's extensive database to select the guests I think I'll be most likely to upsell with the least amount of my time.

I'd focus on guests that booked directly with Carnival (so I don't have to work through a TA), have cruised a lot and are very familiar with the cabin types, deck layouts, etc. (such as Platinums), and have previously accepted upsell offers (so I have less explaining to do.).

Of course everybody doesn't fit that model and there might be other factors such as they are trying to free up cabins on a specific area of one deck so a group can be together, etc.

Anyway, that's my logic.

Edited by D4

I sailed on the PRIDE in SEPT. 2014 and I was booked in an ocean suite.

Three days before sailing I got the upsell call for a GRAND SUITE. we had

four booked in our OCEAN SUITE and the upsell was 150.00 each. we said

yes right away and do not regret it for a minute. You never know when

you will get the chance to be in a GRAND SUITE. If I never get another

chance at least I can say I have been in a GRAND SUITE.

HAPPY SAILING!!!

I think that the upsell calls go to the people that got in on a low rate. If Carnival can upsell them when it looks like a room will go empty they get more dollars. I've booked the last 2 cruises on either a last minute sale or caught a really good sale and have gotten an upsell offer a week out. Both were from inside to aft extended balconies and I took them for ~$300 total extra.

I agree. Last call we got from the up sell fairy we took and then I asked if my som and wife could get same deal? After checking her list she said their names we're on it but for them to upgrade it was a different cost. ...so yea there is some formula they use...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Carnival actually has a separate department for this. Post Booking Sales Department is who your getting the "call" from, unless it's your PVP. Their job is to sail at full capacity or better.

Carnival actually has a separate department for this. Post Booking Sales Department is who your getting the "call" from, unless it's your PVP. Their job is to sail at full capacity or better.