Just off Oasis...lots of questions...help!

Prior to reading the posting on some of the activities, I had reserved CATS on my activities list. But, now i'm thinking I will probably skip it. BTW its 2.5 hours... I doubt I stay for the whole show and i'm so not the "musicals" kinda person.

I have seen cats on Broadway before - the 2nd act will really make the first half more meaningful - if you are going to go - I would strongly recommend staying for the 2nd act, don't just leave halfway thru.

If you don't think you can dedicate the entire time on one night - maybe book two nights and do one act each night....or don't go at all. I think you Wil have a more negative view if you only do the first half an never see the end.

Regarding swelling while on a cruise, it's a multi-fold answer.

1) Sea air contains high levels of salt, which can lead to swelling and water-retention.

2) Alot of dishes onboard are high salt content, and of course, we tend to eat more on ship. People also tend to drink more alcohol and sodas, and less water, which contributes to swelling (water retention).

3) People tend to do more walking on cruises, especially the bigger ships, as well as in ports, shopping and on excursions, than they do at home.

All of these contribute to more swelling of extremities at sea. It tends to get worse the longer the cruise is, but clears up within a day or two on land. What can you do to help relieve it?

1) Drink more water to counteract the swelling. For every alcoholic drink or soda, you should drink an 8 oz glass of water (room temp is better for the body than ice cold).

2) Try to sit with feet elevated whenever possible.

3) Compression stocking can help, but who wants to wear those on a warm weather cruise.

4) Ask your family doctor (General Practioner) for a low dose prescription for water pills to take only while on the cruise. (HCTZ- Hydrochlorothiazide is a good choice).

My ankles always swell on the 4th or 5th day of a cruise, but I now take HCTZ, put my feet up when possible, and drink tons of water to counter-balance the effects. Hope this helps!!

I really never thought of the sea air bring a contributing factor! That was an AHA moment for me. My friend and I cruise yearly and it happened once - to the point that it was so noticeable from Day 1 to Day 7 from pictures. Despite eating healthy for breakfast and lunch, avoiding salty foods and bad carbs, drinking tons of water all day, limiting our alcohol to the evening, and following the rule of 1 alcoholic beverage with 1 large water she felt the effects. Solution was a prescription strength diuretic. All the asparagus talk really turned into a learning experience. Thanks.

Edited by sauvichick

. . . every person here loves to play "If I were Royal, I would do X" . . .

Why?

Maybe I'm missing something here. But, if you wanted Celebrity ( =X= ), wouldn't it make more sense to just book on =X= to begin with ?

Meet & Mingle.

It's where people on Cruise Critic meet up usually on day two of their cruise. Do you have a cruise booked? You can find your "roll call" for your M&M here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=365&f=35

Click on the ship name and then search for your date.

and rccl gives out prizes for this? disney doesn't. thats very interesting.

thanks for the link.

Regarding swelling while on a cruise, it's a multi-fold answer.

1) Sea air contains high levels of salt, which can lead to swelling and water-retention.

2) Alot of dishes onboard are high salt content, and of course, we tend to eat more on ship. People also tend to drink more alcohol and sodas, and less water, which contributes to swelling (water retention).

3) People tend to do more walking on cruises, especially the bigger ships, as well as in ports, shopping and on excursions, than they do at home.

All of these contribute to more swelling of extremities at sea. It tends to get worse the longer the cruise is, but clears up within a day or two on land. What can you do to help relieve it?

1) Drink more water to counteract the swelling. For every alcoholic drink or soda, you should drink an 8 oz glass of water (room temp is better for the body than ice cold).

2) Try to sit with feet elevated whenever possible.

3) Compression stocking can help, but who wants to wear those on a warm weather cruise.

4) Ask your family doctor (General Practioner) for a low dose prescription for water pills to take only while on the cruise. (HCTZ- Hydrochlorothiazide is a good choice).

My ankles always swell on the 4th or 5th day of a cruise, but I now take HCTZ, put my feet up when possible, and drink tons of water to counter-balance the effects. Hope this helps!!

good information. i find that i only swell when i fly in. its the flying that makes me swell. i now wear compression stockings on the flight putting them on just before we fly and taking them off after landing. haven't had a problem since however i'm parking your thoughts and ideas in case one day i do have an issue on board.

thanks again.

Why?

Maybe I'm missing something here. But, if you wanted Celebrity ( =X= ), wouldn't it make more sense to just book on =X= to begin with ?

I don't think they were suggesting to do what Celebrity does - but more the generic 'X' ... Probably on this board it should have been stated that If they were in charge they would do Y...

. . . they would do " Y "...

My point, exactly. Why?

(Cel_cruise - I'm playing with wurds here. Trying to get folks to lighten up and have some fun. My apologies if I caused any misunderstanding . . . :D)

We were on the Oasis this past December, went to the performance of Cats, the show started and after 5 mins the show stopped (due to technical issues) after waiting 15 mins for it to start again we left. Don't know how long others waited or if they even got it going again.