Cancel for any reason ????

bones774

I have two, 2 person cabins on hold 24 hours for NCL leaving on 8/9/15. My daughter and friend have not committed to the second cabin yet and may not decide to go. If i purchase the cabins and pay for them can i also go and purchase cancel for any reason trip insurance and be confident of a refund, all at this short time?

I know my son and i are definitely going so we won't be cancelling and I would look to buy a cheaper insurance for medical coverage only, if possible. Can i split the reservation and in essence buy a different insurance coverage for each cabin? Is that even cost effective?

thanks

PS-Just did some archive searching and saw that some credit card companies offer trip insurance. I have about 10 cards and have not looked thru all the fine print, any good ones to check and do they really come thru. Plus i have NCL credits i bought on my last cruise for this next cruise, will i recoup those funds.

Edited by bones774

You can buy third-party insurance with cancel for any reason coverage for an additional premium, but certain conditions must be met such as paying the premium before final payment on the cruise. Even if you meet the conditions, you may get as little as 70% reimbursement for nonrefundable expenses, and you probably will not get anything for the credits you bought because many companies do not recognize credits, etc as payment. So you'd be out the cost of the insurance, as much as 30% of the cruise, and the cost of the credits applied.

I am not familiar with NCL insurance policies, but cruise lines typically give cruise credit - not cash.

Credit cards do not cover cancel fo any reason - only those reasons named in the policy.

If I could not get a firm answer about who is going, I would not book the second cabin. Sounds like you are trying to make a quick decision without enough information or commitment from others. Slow down before you make an expensive mistake.

The trip leaves in 20 days. I spoke with a travel insurance agent just now and they said the insurance needs to be purchased within 10 days of payment of trip. I would know sooner than that if my daughter is going.

Does it seem feasible to book the trip wait about 7 days and if she decides to go, no need to purchase but if she decides not to go then i can purchase insurance?

I have already said I would not do it, but you have to make that decision for yourself. I don't know all the circumstances, and they are none of my business anyway.

In order to make an informed decision, you need to know what insurance will do for you and what it won't. Your best bet is to discuss the details with a knowledgable agent, which you have already done, and then decide if it is worth the financial risk. You will not be made 100% whole, so you have to know how much you have to lose and if it is acceptable to you.

Whatever you do, I'd make two separate bookings if you split insurance coverages. In the event of a claim, trying to divide certain things on the invoice in half, or figure which part of the small refund (for taxes) you'll get goes to which part of the booking is not my idea of a good time.

I have two, 2 person cabins on hold 24 hours for NCL leaving on 8/9/15. My daughter and friend have not committed to the second cabin yet and may not decide to go. If i purchase the cabins and pay for them can i also go and purchase cancel for any reason trip insurance and be confident of a refund, all at this short time?

I know my son and i are definitely going so we won't be cancelling and I would look to buy a cheaper insurance for medical coverage only, if possible. Can i split the reservation and in essence buy a different insurance coverage for each cabin? Is that even cost effective?

thanks

PS-Just did some archive searching and saw that some credit card companies offer trip insurance. I have about 10 cards and have not looked thru all the fine print, any good ones to check and do they really come thru. Plus i have NCL credits i bought on my last cruise for this next cruise, will i recoup those funds.

I am going to sound harsh. You posted on 7.21. The cruise leaves on 8.9. I figure that to be 17 days from now. Your daughter and her friend can not decide 17 days in advance??? I say to tell them that the invitation to cruise is withdrawn. If they can't commit 17 days before they leave, they do not deserve to go.

DON

Edited by donaldsc