Teen Activities on Coral

Love Cruis'n

We did the Alaska cruise on the Coral 2 weeks ago. The 12 and 16 years olds will be in different groups. Our 12 years old grandson went once and wasn't keen on going again as all the rest of the kids in that group were 8. Our teen age grandson didn't want to go so he hung out with us. In the past on other cruises the boys loved the programme. The groups were very small on our sailing.

Be sure they go the first evening. That is when they can make new friends in their age range. If they and their new friends do not want to participate in the club activities, they will most likely do things outside the club together.

• 3 months later...
We are taking our kids and grandkids to Alaska in a few weeks. Just wondering what sort of activities the 12 and 16 year old grandkids might expect to find on the Coral.

Thanks

I know this is from last year but I'm wondering how it turned out, as we will be on the Coral with our 12 year-old son in June, and I was wondering the same thing. Also I'm curious if Princess ever makes an exception on the age groups - .e. if he is almost 13 will they let him hang out with the teen group? I expect our son would have the same reaction the other 12 year old did re: being with the younger kids. He's fine hanging out with us too but would love for him to find some kids around his age!

I know this is from last year but I'm wondering how it turned out, as we will be on the Coral with our 12 year-old son in June, and I was wondering the same thing. Also I'm curious if Princess ever makes an exception on the age groups - .e. if he is almost 13 will they let him hang out with the teen group? I expect our son would have the same reaction the other 12 year old did re: being with the younger kids. He's fine hanging out with us too but would love for him to find some kids around his age!

No, they absolutely will not let him in the teen club. If you think he won't like being with younger kids, imagine how the 16-17 year olds would feel about having a 12 year old in the teen club.

We sailed to Alaska when my daughter was 12 and they had enough kids in the Shockwaves group that they split the group into 8-10 and 11-12 years. You can see the schedules for that week here. They are the first 7 images at the top.

Be sure they go the first evening. That is when they can make new friends in their age range. If they and their new friends do not want to participate in the club activities, they will most likely do things outside the club together.

This is absolutely the key to a good week. On the first night, they meet each other and the friendships start to form. Miss this, and he or she is trying to break into an already formed group. In addition, this is when they give feedback to the counselors as to what type or activities they like. It is a well established program but can vary with the input from the kids--like lots of sports and dislike crafts? Tell them on the first night. If you miss the first night, you really can't whine about the choices for the week. And as above, at times when they declare the activities to be "meh," the kids often hang out together in public areas.

We did Alaska with the kids in June as well (also on coral). I was concerned that there would not be enough kids on the cruise and that my kids wouldn't have a good time (it was also our first cruise). There actually ended up being 70 some 3-7 year olds and 80 odd 8-12 year olds on the sailing. A few weeks before we left, I called Princess and asked if they could give me approximately how many kids were going to be on the sailing with us, and they told me.