Celebrity docs - cheesy?

Al_Frescoe

Does Celebrity always send 9 pages of an E-doc printed out and a one page printout of bag tags for the cabin? I'm thinking that perhaps because we live in Europe that they want to save postage. We did get a real nice package from NCL when we sailed with them, and from what I understand Celebrity is supposed to be a step above.

I know, docs are docs, and cheesy docs are better than no docs, but these bag tags have no adhesive and are simply a piece of paper that I have to cut with scissors and somehow apply to the bags. The tags we got from NCL were airline style and very sturdy. My concern is that the tags will come off very easily.

So, are the docs I got just for Europe or does everyone get the same package?

Al

Did you book within a month of the sail date? If you booked closer in, then e-docs are the norm.

Celebrity normally sends the nice spiral bound booklet with bag tags, etc. BUT, some TA's request the e-docs to save money and time for themselves. Did you book direct or with a TA?

Did you book within a month of the sail date? If you booked closer in, then e-docs are the norm.

Celebrity normally sends the nice spiral bound booklet with bag tags, etc. BUT, some TA's request the e-docs to save money and time for themselves. Did you book direct or with a TA?

We booked a few months ago with a travel agent on a large package deal. I now know why we got the cheesy package. I could not really imagine Celebrity being less than NCL on something like this.

My concern on the cheap bag tags remains though.

Thanks for the reply.

Al

My concern on the cheap bag tags remains though.
There is nothing that can be done about the tags, issued through e-mail. You will have to get better ones at the port. As you probably know, you don't need the tags until you get there.

I think that all cruise lines are headed, by way of the internet. E-docs are just one more of the cost savings. IMHO. Last year, I when this e-doc thing started showing up, it was said, that TA's, were to get the appropriate material, to print tags for the passengers. Guess not? :)

I agree, e-doc tags are poor. I'm glad that our TA still request the regular docs. I hope this can continue! :eek:

OK, I'm out of step, I admit it. But I love e-docs. And we never bother to cut out the silly luggage tags. Just use them as an example when you fill out the real ones at the pier. It only takes about a minute. Or smile nicely at the porter and he'll do it for you. It sure beats carrying around a cumbersome spiral-bound set of documents in your carry-on!

Lisa

I'm so glad to hear that we can get real tags at the dock. Why? Because my absoutely useless travel agent has been completely unable to get my edocs to me, despite claiming they've sent them to me three times. We checked our spam filter logs and there is no evidence of their email ever arriving in our account. So anyway, I figured out on my own (no help from the TA) that I can use Celebrity's web site to approve the cruise contract, set up passport and contact info, set up my onboard account, and get a boarding pass. The only thing that was missing in all that was the bag tags. But since I can get them at the dock, it sounds like we're all set!

So, how and where do I get these real tags? Usually I have my tags in advance and I just hand my pre-tagged bags to the porter and away they go. Do the porters have the tags, or do I have to bring the bags inside to check-in, or what? We'll be boarding Mercury in Seattle, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Thank you so much. This is why I love Cruise Critics: I got an actual answer from someone who has actual experience, all in under half an hour!

Our cruise leaves a week from Thursday, it's going to be lovely :)

I live in the US and I got e-docs. Yes, they are cheesy IMO. To me, receiving nicely printed docs in the mail (with luggage tags that don't have to filled out in a hurry at the pier) is a part of cruising tradition that I hate to see disappear. Some may prefer e-docs, so that should be an option for them.

I agree that this is definitely NOT upscale. If X were concerned with image and details like their ads imply, they would insist that all TAs mail docs unless the client requests otherwise. This is a first impression of the line for new pax.

They would also staff their call centers with friendlier and better trained people (I have spent WAY too much time and effort trying to book shore excursions via online, phone AND snailmail with them). So far no luck with any of them, with many excuses given in the process. I guess I'll just wait until shipboard and hope the excursions I want don't sell out beforehand.

Actually, last time I was sent the e-docs with the page of print-out baggage tags, I just set it up so I could print the info out on some labels, then when I got to the pier all I had to do was peel & stick on to the real tags the porter supplied. And since it was printed out, rather than hand-written, it was much easier for them to read ....

I live in the US and I got e-docs. Yes, they are cheesy IMO. To me, receiving nicely printed docs in the mail (with luggage tags that don't have to filled out in a hurry at the pier) is a part of cruising tradition that I hate to see disappear. Some may prefer e-docs, so that should be an option for them.

I agree that this is definitely NOT upscale. If X were concerned with image and details like their ads imply, they would insist that all TAs mail docs unless the client requests otherwise. This is a first impression of the line for new pax.

They would also staff their call centers with friendlier and better trained people (I have spent WAY too much time and effort trying to book shore excursions via online, phone AND snailmail with them). So far no luck with any of them, with many excuses given in the process. I guess I'll just wait until shipboard and hope the excursions I want don't sell out beforehand.

I only book my shore excursions when we get on the ship, the first day via in cabin TV. This way you don't pay for them early. They are than charge to your shipboard credit. If the excursion is canceled, you get your credit right away, not having to wait for a credit card credit. (Why pay for something you have not received yet?)

Good morning.

Hi Joe, I guess that is what makes us all different. I prefer to book all

my excursions ahead of time. It is easier for me to just get them paid

and out of the way.

If by chance they get cancelled, I do receive a credit right away. My

shipboard account gets credited back.

Yes, those edocs are cheesy, very cheesy! I was told that it depends on what travel agent you use. Some use them, some don't. The spiral docs are my all time favorite, nice little self contained unit. Back in the day, we would get a leather (or at least leatherette) docs, they were cool but wasteful.

After booking close to $1500 of excursions for Mexico & half were axed with nothing for us to do at the port. We paid well in advance for them & they should have bumped folks for other excursions when CC class states we get excursions first. NOPE!

So now we book after lunch on the ship. We have someone to talk with on what we want to do & what they have that do it. We also know to ask about FREE shuttles that take us to shopping districts of towns, so we can do a walking tour by ourselves or with friends. Why pay $40 PP for a bus ride to the same place.

I only book my shore excursions when we get on the ship, the first day via in cabin TV. This way you don't pay for them early. They are than charge to your shipboard credit. If the excursion is canceled, you get your credit right away, not having to wait for a credit card credit. (Why pay for something you have not received yet?)

Ryndam 2002

Sorry to hear you have had trouble booking shore excursions on line. I leave for Med in 10 days & booked my Galaxy excursions three days ago on line via Celebrity web site. Confirmation sent to me next day. Are you using the web site?

Duckman715

I finally was able to book two of the three excursions we wanted via the website and did get confirmations the next day. There is one excursion remaining that is listed on the printed shorex reservation form I received in the mail that is not listed on the web site. I have tried mailing in my request before and got no response. The Captains Club 800# people have no record of that excursion and refer me back to the web site!?! Fortunately it is the least important excursion to us.

Archived