Ordering steakhouse items in MDR question.

usacamaro

Here you go. The surf and turf is switched out for lamb during the elegant night that offers steak and lobster.

BE2DA2B6-885A-4072-9313-2C72E066ECDE.jpg

Edit To Add:

Here's the options during the steak and lobster elegant night. Lamb is offered instead:

D1B69A26-A078-4501-BB91-2C54C05A83BA.jpg

Edited by Kobayashi

I understand that you can order steakhouse items in the MDR. Is it the full menu, or just selected items?

can anyone post some of the options available?

Thanks

I dont think its worth the 20 extra PP

Dont they have enough options in the dining room already?

We were a group of seven on our last cruise and a few of us ordered the selections a few of the nights. Wait time for the entrees and quality of preparation varied each night. I definitely could go without ordering it again, but if you really have an urge for filet or surf and turf and aren't planning on the steakhouse, it's an option.

This is the first I heard of this so I hope you don't mind a question or two? (My husband will love this because he enjoys going to the steakhouse. Me? It's too much FOOD and besides... I can find a better way to spend the money!) :) Anyway, here are my questions:

1. You can only order the 'entrée'... not the rest of the steakhouse menu?

2. Who will cook the entrée? The chef from the steakhouse or the MDR?

3. You are charged $20?

4. Is there a wait for the steakhouse food? Do they bring it out at the same time as your tablemates meals? Does it taste like has set in a warmer? And yes... I can tell. :D

Thanks for your answers!

This is the first I heard of this so I hope you don't mind a question or two? (My husband will love this because he enjoys going to the steakhouse. Me? It's too much FOOD and besides... I can find a better way to spend the money!) :) Anyway, here are my questions:

1. You can only order the 'entrée'... not the rest of the steakhouse menu?

2. Who will cook the entrée? The chef from the steakhouse or the MDR?

3. You are charged $20?

4. Is there a wait for the steakhouse food? Do they bring it out at the same time as your tablemates meals? Does it taste like has set in a warmer? And yes... I can tell. :D

Thanks for your answers!

1) yes

2) clueless

3)yes

4)no,yes,no

We tried the filet one night on the Pride in March. I kept pushing for a steakhouse night, but my husband suggested that I try ordering it in the MDR for the $20. While I missed some of the great sides they have, we feel that it is way too much food for us, so this was a great alternative. I'm not sure who recommended it here on these boards, but thanks!

The steak, however was awful! It was full of gristle (in a filet?) and way over cooked. Once I cut into it and tried a bite, the waiter could see instantly that it was not good. It took some time to get resolved with the Steakhouse, but I was offered another steak the next night (we didn't want to wait for another one that night). I felt sorry for our waiter....it seems he had to jump through hoops to get this resolved. They essentially refunded me and re-charged me the next night.

BUT, the good news was that the next night it was melt-in-your mouth delicious! I really think it was just a fluke occurrence and would definitely order it again in the MDR.

I would rather spend $ 15 pp more and go to the steakhouse.

Except it is only $15 pp more for the person ordering the steakhouse item. For the people who were happy with regular meals, it is $35 more pp.

I think this is a nice option for those of us who only have 1 person in the group who wants the up-charge item.

I'm confused. A few have said that the Steakhouse is too much food. Isn't it appetizer, entree and dessert like the MDR just higher quality food?

Steakhouse portions are much larger than in the MDR. We love the Steakhouse!

Is it the same lobster tail served in the MDR on formal nights?

Probably not, as the Steakhouse serves Maine lobster and the DR serves Caribbean Spiny (much cheaper and not as good).

As a restaurateur and a foody, I could not imagine the cook in the Steakhouse is cooking food for the MDR. Logistically, it makes no sense. However, what makes the Steakhouse steaks so good is the special high temp broilers they use, like Ruth's Chris. I doubt the MDR has the special ovens. So although it might be the same cut of meat, the person cooking is not giving special attention to your steak. To the person who had a tough filet, sounds like a "mock tender" which is a sirloin cut to look like a filet. Even a bad over cooked filet is pretty tender.