Fly in same day?!

WMQueenie

:eek:

I know most people will think we're crazy but...my sister and I have a flight credit (free flight!) so we are trying to do a super cheap weekend getaway the first weekend in October. We are looking at at 6AM flight out of the northeast to Miami - layover in Atlanta - arrive Miami at 11:53. Cruise is at 5PM out of Miami. The flight has a 97% on time record. My sister's husband is totally disabled and has to have a caregiver stay with him so that cost is being considered... 3 nights away would be so much better for her than 4 nights (mentally & financially). Guess I'm looking for someone out there to say - sure! Go for it! Normally I would never fly in the same day but I am trying to save her money and one less day of worrying about her husband. Thoughts?!

It's all about your tolerance for risk. I usually fly in the same day to Miami but I take a non-stop flight. I would not do it if I had a layover somewhere. That adds a good bit more risk for something to go wrong. Remember NCL says you should be on board two hours prior to sailing if you haven't completed on board check in, one hour otherwise. Allow time for waiting for baggage, transportation, etc.

If all the planets align correctly you shouldn't have an issue.

Lots of people do it and lots of people don't. I think more people fly in the day of than before but not here on CC.

At least in October you shouldn't have snow storms or summer thunderstorms to worry about...shouldn't not won't. Storms always happen

Personally my travel days don't feel like a vacation day. I want to enjoy my cruise as long as I can.

Have you asked your sister what she wants? maybe a extra day is what she needs to unwind and relax from her stressful life. Maybe everyday she is gone the more stress she will be under. I have a friend with a disabled son (MD)and when we took a trip to Florida she drove down with another friend and said that time allowed her to leave it behind and stop worrying so by the time we all met in Florida she was ready to enjoy herself.

I have done both day before and after. If I am flying in day of I ensure my arrival is prior to 10 am. I have had too much stress trying to fly in after that time and make it to ship with traffic/rush our/late arrivals/...

Check for non-stops as suggested. I have found the price differences aren't much - sometimes the flights with layovers even cost more - and it might be worth it for the peace of mind. If you can only do a quick weekend - maybe check into a land based trip through the airline that you have your credit with. You might be surprised at the deals available.

I know most people will think we're crazy but...my sister and I have a flight credit (free flight!) so we are trying to do a super cheap weekend getaway the first weekend in October. We are looking at at 6AM flight out of the northeast to Miami - layover in Atlanta - arrive Miami at 11:53. Cruise is at 5PM out of Miami. The flight has a 97% on time record. My sister's husband is totally disabled and has to have a caregiver stay with him so that cost is being considered... 3 nights away would be so much better for her than 4 nights (mentally & financially). Guess I'm looking for someone out there to say - sure! Go for it! Normally I would never fly in the same day but I am trying to save her money and one less day of worrying about her husband. Thoughts?!

Well, typically I offer the opinion that I would not take a risk like that but your situation is understandingly unique. You're flying out of Portand Maine I assume? Good sized airport, I've flown out of there many times. The best thing is, you're an hour's drive to Boston if something bad should happen - like it did to us one time. We were able to hail a cab to Boston and jump on a flight the same day. October should be the tail end of hurricane season so unless you're really unlucky, I'd do it if I was in your boat. Just make sure you purchase travel insurance in case something happens. That way you will at least get refunded your money and can try another day.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

The times look good on paper, but I've had a canceled flight for the second leg of a flight to Tampa. Fortunately, we were flying in the day before, or we would have missed our ship.

The flight cancelation was a crew problem, not a weather issue.

I always fly in the same day, I don't have the time to spend in a hotel the day before. I've only once missed the boat (during the European ash cloud), and used travel insurance to take care of it. God bless Amex!

Check for non-stops as suggested. I have found the price differences aren't much - sometimes the flights with layovers even cost more - and it might be worth it for the peace of mind. If you can only do a quick weekend - maybe check into a land based trip through the airline that you have your credit with. You might be surprised at the deals available.

When doing so make sure the flight is listed as "non stop" versus "direct". A lot of travelers don't understand the difference.

There are no non-stops out of Portland or Bangor (she said she was flying out of Maine). Maybe drive to Boston that morning bright and early and get a non-stop from there. That could be an option.

Thanks for your thoughts! We're leaving from Hartford/Bradley...the credit is with Delta and there are no non-stop flights to Miami from BDL - that would of been perfect! She has her heart set on a mini cruise as it encompasses everything we want to do...we looked at land based mini-vacations and nothing can compare to a cruise! I'm so torn!

All things being equal, I wouldn't like to make a connection for a same-day cruise departure, but since this is the difference between taking the cruise and not taking the cruise, it's a bit different...

You're going during a time of general good weather, and the flight has good on-time percentage. There appear to be plenty of other flights between BDL - ATL - MIA that day, so I think you'd be covered should one of your flights be canceled.

There is a 6:45 AM flight on US Airways / American that is nonstop to Miami, arriving at 10:00 AM. I would think this would be much less stressful. Could you fly one-way on US Air / American, and return on Delta using your flight credit?

Bottom line -- I would say, get some travel insurance, find the least stressful option, and go for it! :D

Edited by dcipjr

I've done it....more than once. But, a couple of rules I follow.

First, just have carry on baggage, only. This is particularly important given you don't have a direct flight and the possibility of luggage being delayed, lost, stuck somewhere in the bowels of an airport subject to the whims of baggage handlers getting it on the carrousel goes up exponentially.

2nd, direct flights, first flight of the day. Sometimes that's not possible. Sounds like you're making the correct decisions, though. Leave as early as you can. Heartsfield isn't my favorite for on time. Delta, although better recently, isn't the pillar of on time departures, either. Heartsfield is a Delta hub, so I'm assuming you're on Delta.

Check the day before regarding possible weather issues in the airport(s) you're flying to/through. Also, check your flight status right before you leave for the airport.

Delta has a tendency not to have enough flight crews. So, the possibility of not having a delay because they are waiting on a flight crew is mitigated by having the first flights of the day, where they aren't waiting for a flight crew to arrive from another flight.

Odds are you'll have no problems. But, just because you are connecting through Heartsfield, I'd probably buy trip insurance.

If it were non-stop, maybe okay. But with connecting flight I wouldn't take the chance of something happening.

I've done it....more than once. But, a couple of rules I follow.

First, just have carry on baggage, only. This is particularly important given you don't have a direct flight and the possibility of luggage being delayed, lost, stuck somewhere in the bowels of an airport subject to the whims of baggage handlers getting it on the carrousel goes up exponentially.

2nd, direct flights, first flight of the day. Sometimes that's not possible. Sounds like you're making the correct decisions, though. Leave as early as you can. Heartsfield isn't my favorite for on time. Delta, although better recently, isn't the pillar of on time departures, either. Heartsfield is a Delta hub, so I'm assuming you're on Delta.

Check the day before regarding possible weather issues in the airport(s) you're flying to/through. Also, check your flight status right before you leave for the airport.

Delta has a tendency not to have enough flight crews. So, the possibility of not having a delay because they are waiting on a flight crew is mitigated by having the first flights of the day, where they aren't waiting for a flight crew to arrive from another flight.

Odds are you'll have no problems. But, just because you are connecting through Heartsfield, I'd probably buy trip insurance.

I've done it, following the rules listed above. I have a high tolerance for risk and had a back-up plan to stay in FLL if I missed the cruise.

I would add that gate checking your bag, as opposed to a carry-on will allow you to pack more. If you do that, don't then try and bring an oversized bag onto the flight. You will create frustration and delay for everyone and end up with a gate checked bag anyway.

Good luck.

You should also check to see if you can get a better flight into Ft. Lauderdale instead of Miami.

Maybe you can get an earlier flight or non-stop/layover flight that would get you to Florida earlier.

I strongly recommend buying travel insurance that covers pre-existing medical conditions, not just to cover potential travel issues.

And be sure the travel insurance will cover your specific travel concerns.

There are no non-stops out of Portland or Bangor (she said she was flying out of Maine). Maybe drive to Boston that morning bright and early and get a non-stop from there. That could be an option.

I don't know why I was thinking Maine. Out of Hartford, if you can get a direct flight early in the morning, yeah go for it. Get insurance tho.

Weather, mechanical problems, some idiot breaching security - lots can happen. Personally, I wouldn't risk it and from her situation it sounds like she could use the extra night away, even if it costs a little bit.

I wrote a post about this two weeks ago. I was flying from Charlottesville, VA to DFW. This involved one connection. I needed to be in Dallas that evening. To make a long story short there was a terror incident. The airport was shut down for 5 hours. All flights were diverted so nothing coming in or out! My flights were changed 3 times. I made it to DFW just before midnight!! The return from DFW wasn't much better...United had a computer problem which effected flights nation wide and the FAA shut down the runway in Charlotte. I will not fly the "day of" for anything. The flights are full so if you miss a connection good luck!

Get a non-stop flight, not a direct flight. ;)

The OP is in Western Mass - flying out of Albany NY or Hartford CT I would imagine. Non-stop flights can be had from BDL or ALB to MIA at a pretty reasonable price on AA. I'd avoid the 1 stop via ATL.

Edited by BamaVol

Thanks for your thoughts! We're leaving from Hartford/Bradley...the credit is with Delta and there are no non-stop flights to Miami from BDL - that would of been perfect! She has her heart set on a mini cruise as it encompasses everything we want to do...we looked at land based mini-vacations and nothing can compare to a cruise! I'm so torn!

We are also in Western Mass, closer to Albany NY then Bradley. We sometimes find better flights from Albany and we have flown out of Boston. Any same day flight should be the "first" one out and direct, no layovers. Atlanta is one of the worse airports as far as delays, etc. We try very hard not to include Atlanta in any flights we take. Since your credit is on Delta, I suppose you need to use them. Check out Albany also. :)