Ocean Blu GONE?

I'm surprised this tidbit from the Latitudes Magazine hasn't been posted yet:

"As we continue to create fresh, new dining concepts and bring exciting, new Broadway entertainment for our guests, it means we are saying goodbye to some great partnerships such as Blue Man Group, Nickelodeon and Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian."

This doesn't explicitly say that Ocean Blu is going away, but the "by Geoffrey Zakarian" part is. I wonder if Norwegian will scrap the concept entirely or just alter the menu. I have no evidence to support what I'm about to say, but my guess is that Ocean Blu will disappear and be replaced with one of the new concepts being installed on Escape. Ocean Blu's price point and menu haven't been without controversy, and I'm guessing a restaurant with a lower cover charge would ultimately prove to be more popular.

What do you think? :cool:

I'm surprised this tidbit from the Latitudes Magazine hasn't been posted yet:

"As we continue to create fresh, new dining concepts and bring exciting, new Broadway entertainment for our guests, it means we are saying goodbye to some great partnerships such as Blue Man Group, Nickelodeon and Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian."

This doesn't explicitly say that Ocean Blu is going away, but the "by Geoffrey Zakarian" part is. I wonder if Norwegian will scrap the concept entirely or just alter the menu. I have no evidence to support what I'm about to say, but my guess is that Ocean Blu will disappear and be replaced with one of the new concepts being installed on Escape. Ocean Blu's price point and menu haven't been without controversy, and I'm guessing a restaurant with a lower cover charge would ultimately prove to be more popular.

What do you think? :cool:

I think you are right. Ocean Blue was overpriced and not many seemed to care for the menu. If Bayamo is a hit, maybe that might be a possibility, although it does not fit with a NYC atmosphere. Maybe a totally new concept?

I think many would be happy to see a venue with the focus on seafood, including lobster, with no big name chef attached to it in order to jack up the price.

Are you referring to Bayamo / Tapas bar & Food Republic? Because those 2 restaurants are not going to be run by Zakarian at all. Perhaps NCL / Zakarian are going to rename / rework Ocean Blue since they change the pricing already and who knows, maybe change some dishes as well?

Are you referring to Bayamo / Tapas bar & Food Republic? Because those 2 restaurants are not going to be run by Zakarian at all. Perhaps NCL / Zakarian are going to rename / rework Ocean Blue since they change the pricing already and who knows, maybe change some dishes as well?

Where did anyone say anything to imply that those would be run by Zakarian? I'm not sure what you read. They said Zakarian is going away, and wondered if Ocean Blue would remain without him.

Just to clarify: the point of my original post is that NCL is ending its relationship with Geoffrey Zakarian. That's why I'm curious what will happen to Ocean Blu. :p (As LrgPizza posted right before me!)

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

It sounds like Zakarian is gone. So, will they keep Ocean Blue, maybe with a new menu, or come up with a completely different concept and name is the question.

Bayamo, I believe is already attached to chef Jose Garces, or at least one of the new ones.

The restaurant remains... the franchise deal is over.

Do you know this for sure? Crew tip, that sort of thing? If the restaurant does stay, I would think the menu would have to be heavily modified so as not to serve any Zakarian signature dishes. I would also think the cover charge would have to drop, as there's no longer an cachet to the brand.

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

Do you know this for sure? Crew tip, that sort of thing? If the restaurant does stay, I would think the menu would have to be heavily modified so as not to serve any Zakarian signature dishes. I would also think the cover charge would have to drop, as there's no longer an cachet to the brand.

It will still remain the "signature" venue (like Bayamo is on the Escape), but without the "celebrity" endorsement. The surcharge has already been reduced from original. This venue ran differently in the kitchen when the Zakarian franchise was in place... it will now be provisioned like the rest of the specialties.

FWIW for the October 4th sailing Ocean Blue is not listed as a restaurant at which reservations can be made. My guess is that October 3 will be the last day for that restaurant with a new name/menu after that, but maybe it will just be a new menu and pricing format (a la carte). (I noticed a few weeks ago that all references to Geoffrey Zakarian were gone on the web site.)

I am really curious about this because we are on Breakaway to Bermuda Oct 4th, celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary, we have the UDP, and I was going to book Ocean Blue for our anniversary dinner. When I went online, neither Ocean Blue nor Cirque were available.

The press release about a la carte pricing indicates that, beginning Oct. 3rd, customers will pay per item in Ocean Blue, as opposed to a cover charge. I have not been able to find the new menu or the pricing, and without those, would hesitate to book, even if booking were available.

So am undecided about where to have our anniversary dinner.

I am really curious about this because we are on Breakaway to Bermuda Oct 4th, celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary, we have the UDP, and I was going to book Ocean Blue for our anniversary dinner. When I went online, neither Ocean Blue nor Cirque were available.

The press release about a la carte pricing indicates that, beginning Oct. 3rd, customers will pay per item in Ocean Blue, as opposed to a cover charge. I have not been able to find the new menu or the pricing, and without those, would hesitate to book, even if booking were available.

So am undecided about where to have our anniversary dinner.

You can decide and book on the ship. Ocean Blue is typically dead.

I don't agree that it was overpriced.

Our only problem was that the portions were so huge so we couldn't really appreciate the dessert, which was delicious!

It was a mixed bag for me. Some things were stellar and others were "okay." I didn't find it worth the upcharge, but it could have changed since I tried it last.

Interesting - not a surprise & hardly worthy of a huge announcement. Perhaps, they need to serve Roast Peking Duck elsewhere but not with that kind of upcharge for those dining inside Ocean Blu & not interested in their seafood options.

Not far from here, one can get freshly cut pc. of Peking Duck for $1 each, complete with the sliced scallion, hoisin sauce & steamed bun - on a walk-up basis.

When we sailed on the Breakaway, the restaurant almost always looked rather empty. I too thought it was overpriced for the menu offerings and found nothing on the menu appealing at all. I for one would be glad to see something else in it's place.

I would love to one day sail the Breakaway again and get a different experience from our previous trip.

I refuse to go to ocean blue, it's already the largest up charge on the ship and then if you want to taste two appetizers it's another up charge on top of that? We like to sample lots of stuff on a cruise, this is a bit turn off to me and my husband. I'd be willing to try the counter service lunch items but the dinner isn't gonna happen, I suppose many people echo that feeling.

It wasn't enough of an experience to warrant the price tag. We just came off of DCL Fantasy and I can tell you their Remy restaurant was worth every penny of the $80pp surcharge. And this is coming from a real cheapo about paying for dining alternatives. A Michelin starred experience that truly was Michelin starred in terms of food and service might be a nice option for a very small, intimate venue.