Royal Princess v P&O Britannia

sammybonny

We were recently on Royal Princess on a British Isles cruise which we enjoyed very much.

We are thinking of booking a Caribbean cruise on Britannia later this year and were wondering if anyone has cruised on both these ships and can tell me how they compare.

The reviews for Britannia say that the decor is quite boring and I wonder if it will disappoint me after the Royal.

• 5 weeks later...

My first posting on the Princess forum.

I will be in a position to comment on Brittania in seven days when doing a seven day fjord cruise. However I am in the position of falling out of love with P&O and as a consequence have booked a first cruise on Royal Princess next year.

For those who have sailed with both lines will I notice a big difference, hopefully for the better, with Princess?

We were recently on Royal Princess on a British Isles cruise which we enjoyed very much.

We are thinking of booking a Caribbean cruise on Britannia later this year and were wondering if anyone has cruised on both these ships and can tell me how they compare.

The reviews for Britannia say that the decor is quite boring and I wonder if it will disappoint me after the Royal.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2196044

We cruised on Britannia to the fjords in April. She is a lovely ship & we enjoyed the cruise but we noticed that compared to Princess there seem to be less dining options included in the basic price - no equivalent to the 24hr IC - only a coffee shop with cakes & treats at an additional cost. We did not try the premium restaurants so cannot comment as to the quality but the prices were much higher than Crown Grill/Sabatinis - I believe £30/$45 ish each for the Epicurean. The atrium is very large but not designed for any activities (except the captain's cocktail party) - filled instead with sofas & chairs/tables for enjoying a pre/post dinner drink. Cabins seem almost identical to Royal/Regal with the smaller balconies.

I have cruised them both, and found them quite different.

No Wow in the atrium of Britannia, it's less glitzy than the Royal, and not such a busy hub of the ship. I missed the entertainment, I/c and Alfredos. We had various conversations on board, and can't decide whether the atrium felt more like a hotel lobby or even a small shopping centre. Not really what I want on a cruise ship.

That said we had a wonderful cruise on Britannia, theatre shows were excellent, the crows nest bar with 23 different gins was more comfortable than crooners.

The food was also very good in the main dining room. I like the speciality restaurants on both ships, and think they are all worth what you pay for them.

I wouldn't hesitate sailing on either.