Royal Caribbean Scrip - Anyone Use It?

Hi All,

We can purchase scrip for RCCL that returns 9% back off my children's Catholic school tuition. Has anyone used this on RCCL before? Is it used just like cash (basically it is a gift card)? Easy to use, no hassles?

Thanks!

I looked into this for our upcoming cruise. I spoke to an RCCL rep about it and it didn't sound hassle-free to me. The way I understood it, you have to have the scrip when you book because it's for new bookings only. I would hate to buy a bunch of the scrip and then not get what we want in our booking and be stuck with a lot of money tied up in scrip or lose out on the pricing because I had a delay in buying the scrip. The person I spoke to when I called seemed familiar with scrip and was able to answer questions. I'd suggest calling and asking about the restrictions (which may be the same as any gift card they offer).

My son and daughter-in-law are on Freedom right now and used scrip to pay off their cruise. They did not use a TA to book their cruise. They made their deposit using a credit card but paid off the balance using scrip. You have to e-mail or fax the scrip to a specific location and they will apply it to your reservation. The only problem was I emailed the scrip to the designated location on the day the final balance was due. It could take them a couple of weeks to post to account. I argued, on their behalf, that they had final payment when it was due and the reservation should be marked paid-in-full as of the day it was received and not applied. They agreed and I made sure to have an e-mail sent confirming.

I also used scrip for my upcoming Allure trip in August but I applied mine before final payment was due so I didn't have that issue.

Sorry to sound dumb but I am very curious as to what you are meaning "scrip" ? I have never heard of this before and just wondering what it is. :)

Me too. I couldn't figure out what a script would be--assuming it was mis-spelled but then everyone has used the term "scrip" in their posts. For some reason, reading that makes me cringe.

This is what I found on a scrip company website as an explanation:

Mrs. Smith needs some gardening supplies, so she buys a $100 The Home Depot® gift card for $100 through her son’s school scrip fundraiser. Cha-ching! She just earned $4 for the school because The Home Depot gift cards are available from Great Lakes Scrip Center at 4% less than face value. When Mrs. Smith checks out at The Home Depot, she pays with her gift card instead of using a credit or debit card! She will do the same thing when she needs cleaning supplies at Target®, and earn $2.50 just by using a $100 Target GiftCard to pay for her purchases.

Scrip is like vouchers. Private schools sell vouchers and you get a percentage. For instance I could buy a $25 voucher to use a tJC Penney's and they would pay back to my tuition account 1%. It is like buying gift cards.

Not only private schools......many schools and organizations in Southern CA sell it for fund raising.

This has been going on for a long time in our area.

As someone mentioned it is like a gift card, if you purchase one your organization gets a % back on it.

Schools that charge tuition take part of that percentage and let parents have the other part to off set tuition. Our school and this was 20 years ago made us buy 2000 a year, if we did not, we had to pay more tuition.

Edited by land lover

The reason it is called scrip is because in the beginning you purchased a slip of paper with the denomination amount which was referred to as script. Needless to say when I started buying it back in the 90's they did not have scrip for RCI.

If you can use it for paying off your cruise i think that is great. I used hundreds of dollars to buy groceries...this was prior to cash back reward credit cards.

Edited by land lover

We use scrip to help offset the fees associated with the High School Marching Band.

There are many different stores/venders. I saw the RCI one, but the wording about applying it made me nervous to purchase it to apply to a cruise already booked. Interested to hear the experience of a PP.

My Dj handles the scrip program at our church, We also thought it was a great way to make money towards tuition. We had so much trouble explaining it to the lady on the phone,who kept asking one supervisor after another to find out what to do it wasn't worth the hassle. We sent them the few we had bought waited forever for them to activate them that in the end we paid the balance with our credit card 😏

This has been going on for a long time in our area.

As someone mentioned it is like a gift card, if you purchase one your organization gets a % back on it.

Schools that charge tuition take part of that percentage and let parents have the other part to off set tuition. Our school and this was 20 years ago made us buy 2000 a year, if we did not, we had to pay more tuition.

I need to correct myself...the organization purchases it at a discount and them sells it to you at full face value. At our HS school we actually ordered what we wanted and then wrote a check for the purchase.

Edited by land lover