purchasing water

jucaha

Really?:confused: I've never found the water to be salty. However, the food sure seems a bit more salty than we are used to at home. I put on a pound or two on a cruise that I lose in a few days after returning home. I always thought it was bloating from retaining some water from the salt in the food. Geez, maybe it was the water!:eek:

Its in a lot of things (food/water) and you can't taste it. At least I can't.

Really?:confused: I've never found the water to be salty. However, the food sure seems a bit more salty than we are used to at home. I put on a pound or two on a cruise that I lose in a few days after returning home. I always thought it was bloating from retaining some water from the salt in the food. Geez, maybe it was the water!:eek:

It depends. On shorter cruises, or during the first days of a longer cruise, onboard water may be port water taken on before sailing. Once at sea awhile, they have to switch over to sea water that is "desalinated" onboard. The problem is that some systems still leave more residual salt than would be in tap water at home.

I have a sensitive sense of taste, and I can tell immediately when the changeover occurs--usually several days out. I am supposed to follow a low-sodium diet, so I drink only bottled water onboard if I detect any salt at all in the onboard water.

Many will SWEAR that onboard water is better than tap water at home. IMO, while it may be better filtered, it often contains more sodium. I think many who are prone to edema/swelling from sodium will agree.

The Princess gifts section of their website does not show any water packages and I also drink the ship's water. I use a 20 ounce widemouth reusable Brita filter water bottle to easily add ice to keep it cold but not because I'm concerned about the water on the ship.

Great idea, Frank. I'm not concerned about the ship's water as I understand it is purified. However, I have typically bought bottled water just for the convenience of having the bottle with me. Brain lapse, just bring one of my water bottles that I use for the gym and I'll be just fine.:):)

Many will SWEAR that onboard water is better than tap water at home. IMO, while it may be better filtered, it often contains more sodium. I think many who are prone to edema/swelling from sodium will agree.

You can still bring that tap water on board in the form of packaged water:

In Walmart's case, the water is Niagara — not from Niagara Falls, or even company headquarters in California — but from a local plant in Grand Prairie.

Kroger's bottles don't say where their water is sourced, but it's Dallas City water from Irving.

Aquafina's bottle says their product comes from "public water sources." A company spokesman says it's Dallas water from Mesquite.

Dasani, a division of Coca-Cola doesn't give a clue where it comes from on the bottle. Headquarters says that its source is Dallas water mains.

Nestle Pure Life's label does say its source is public water supplies, Dallas, Texas.

it's fine if we can wash it with very hot water and dish soap each time. His doctor told him that refilling empty plastic bottles leaves lingering germs that can hurt him unless they are completely clean each time, and that's a little hard on a ship.

This is why I normally buy a case of water instead of bringing a refillable container. Its not the quality of the water (which i agree is just as good as the bottled stuff), its the refilling of the container and not being able to properly disinfect it.

I agree with Pam, and others, that there's no need to bring water with you when the ship's water is perfectly fine to drink. Just bring one bottle with you and keep refilling it on board as needed.

I don't worry if the water is safe, I just don't like the taste of it. I bring a Brita water bottle and refill that...in my opinion it helps the taste of the water and I fill it at night and put it in the fridge so it's cold in the morning.

Otherwise I just drink the big bottle of water in the cabin and they replace it when it's empty.

My husband is a throat cancer survivor and his salivary glands no longer work properly because of the radiation he had, so he has to carry water with him at all times because his mouth gets so dry. We will be landing in fort lauderdale the day of the cruise and were hoping to have our taxi driver bring us to a store near the cruise port where we can buy a case of water to bring on board. Does anyone know offhand if there is some kind of store that sells bottled water between the airport and the cruise port??

Thank you!

I'm sure there is a Walmart, Walgreens, CVS or Publix where you can buy water on the way to the port. Have an extra label and tape with you and you can check it in with your luggage or carry it on.

Another option for you...if you can drink distilled water, you can request it on the personalized pre cruise and they will bring it to your cabin. They have gallon size bottles.

You can still bring that tap water on board in the form of packaged water:

In Walmart's case, the water is Niagara — not from Niagara Falls, or even company headquarters in California — but from a local plant in Grand Prairie.

Kroger's bottles don't say where their water is sourced, but it's Dallas City water from Irving.

Aquafina's bottle says their product comes from "public water sources." A company spokesman says it's Dallas water from Mesquite.

Dasani, a division of Coca-Cola doesn't give a clue where it comes from on the bottle. Headquarters says that its source is Dallas water mains.

Nestle Pure Life's label does say its source is public water supplies, Dallas, Texas.

Very true. I always look for spring-sourced water; it is easy to find here in SoCal, but not sure about other areas. Crystal Geyser and Calistoga are the two I generally buy. Fiji, IMO, has the best flavor but is imported and $$$.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78