First CCruise Where Sharing A Table With Strangers

stoddaj1

Heading on our first cruise where we will be travelling without a group. Dinner in the MDR has always been the highlight of our day. When booking we selected a table for 6 which means we will be with 4 strangers and are a bit apprehensive about this. Just wondering what experiences others may have had in a similar situation. Thanks

Great opportunity to meet ppl ...im not sure if carnival does this on purpose but we always get seated coincidentally with ppl who are either in similar professions...livin in neighboring areas or from my hometown its weird yet pleasant almost like its profiled

Last time we were seated with others, roughly 5 cruises ago :-), it didn't go so well. We were seated with a group of folks from a friendly country to our north ,who were nice enough, I suppose, but couldn't refrain from asking stereotypical questions ad nauseum, once they found out we were from the Deep South. I guess they meant well, at least I hope so, but it was unpleasant. We prefer - and not just because of that experience - a table for two. But that's just us. We are fortunate, my wife and I, in that we enjoy each others company and never tire of it. Plenty of people seek large tables and enjoy it. Try it. You might like it. If not, you can always ask for a table for two later.

Heading on our first cruise where we will be travelling without a group. Dinner in the MDR has always been the highlight of our day. When booking we selected a table for 6 which means we will be with 4 strangers and are a bit apprehensive about this. Just wondering what experiences others may have had in a similar situation. Thanks

All positive. A couple of minutes of small talk, we have made many life long friends, some going back 30 years.

We love getting the biggest table possible to meet the most amount of people.

My experience, MOST of the time, has been good to great. Have been on cruises where I actually looked forward to dinner and spending time with my new friends.

I only remember 1 genuinely obnoxious boor, and while I knew I had the option to request a different table opted not to because it was kind of funny to watch his nightly antics.

All great experiences except one, and anyone needs to nip this in the butt on day one. We were sat with the Beverly Hillbilly, yes, tank top, farmers jeans and a baseball cap. We excused ourselves, asked for the maitre'd and quickly got another table. Unfortunately, we ran into Clem a few days later and he actually confronted me, weird. I told him a hat and tank top were not appropriate for the MDR and we were not comfortable.

All great experiences except one, and anyone needs to nip this in the butt on day one. We were sat with the Beverly Hillbilly, yes, tank top, farmers jeans and a baseball cap. We excused ourselves, asked for the maitre'd and quickly got another table. Unfortunately, we ran into Clem a few days later and he actually confronted me, weird. I told him a hat and tank top were not appropriate for the MDR and we were not comfortable.
Good decision. I would have done the same. There is no excuse for a tank top at a dining table. BTW, and please take this in the spirit of friendliness that it is intended. The phrase is "nip it in the bud," not "butt." Hopefully you can edit it before someone has some fun at your expense. :-)

I always request a large table - my husband and I enjoy talking to new people. We can talk to each other all day long, it's nice to enjoy someone else's conversation at dinner :D Never had a bad experience with traditional dining.

The only time I can think of as a not-so-great experience was actually at breakfast on disembarkation day, when they just seat you with random people in the MDR. One woman at the table kept loudly going off about U.S. healthcare reform and telling everyone how she knows what she's talking about because she's a nurse. Apparently no one has taught her not to talk politics at the table... (I don't remember how the conversation started but at that point no one but her was interested in continuing it, but everyone was too polite to tell her to shut it). Now, I suppose if I had ended up with her as my dinner tablemate for a whole cruise, it would be a different matter :eek:

How did you select a table for 6?

Beyond that, it is the luck of the draw.

I have had good and bad, but after my last bad, I will not cruise if I have to sit with strangers again.

I will give you a quick run down of that particular experience.

It was a table for 8, but only six showed up. One was a couple that came in drunk every night and proceeded to get drunker thru dinner resulting in them barely able to walk out of the dining room each night.

These was I think a Japanese girl that did not speak a word of English that did some strange ritual every night ending with her drinking something black out of a little cup at the end that stained her whole tongue solid black. It was like eating at a table with a chow dog.

Then there was the guy who had his gf dump him just before the cruise. He came in drunk and crying and rolled around on the table most of the meal.

It was like a train wreck, I couldn't not watch, but I decided I will never cruise again if I have to eat at a table with strangers.

But I have also had nice people too.

I will also say, the servers did an excellent job with the Japanese girls ritual eveynight.

I always request a large table - my husband and I enjoy talking to new people. We can talk to each other all day long, it's nice to enjoy someone else's conversation at dinner :D Never had a bad experience with traditional dining.

The only time I can think of as a not-so-great experience was actually at breakfast on disembarkation day, when they just seat you with random people in the MDR. One woman at the table kept loudly going off about U.S. healthcare reform and telling everyone how she knows what she's talking about because she's a nurse. Apparently no one has taught her not to talk politics at the table... (I don't remember how the conversation started but at that point no one but her was interested in continuing it, but everyone was too polite to tell her to shut it). Now, I suppose if I had ended up with her as my dinner tablemate for a whole cruise, it would be a different matter :eek:

Some of the worst table mates make for the best stories.

We have only had good experiences sharing tables with others. Some have become dear friends, and others were pleasant enough folks to spend a couple of hours a day with. We are all on vacation so I think that makes people more open to conversing with different people.

Sat with a group of nine last year on the Conquest,became seven after the first night, the only couple at the table never showed up after that. We were all solo cruisers and strangers...dinner quickly became our favorite part of the cruise. Great, smart, stimulating conversations and laughter at the table every night. It can be fun. Let's see what happens on my next cruise in September.:)

How did you select a table for 6?

Beyond that, it is the luck of the draw.

I have had good and bad, but after my last bad, I will not cruise if I have to sit with strangers again.

I will give you a quick run down of that particular experience.

It was a table for 8, but only six showed up. One was a couple that came in drunk every night and proceeded to get drunker thru dinner resulting in them barely able to walk out of the dining room each night.

These was I think a Japanese girl that did not speak a word of English that did some strange ritual every night ending with her drinking something black out of a little cup at the end that stained her whole tongue solid black. It was like eating at a table with a chow dog.

Then there was the guy who had his gf dump him just before the cruise. He came in drunk and crying and rolled around on the table most of the meal.

It was like a train wreck, I couldn't not watch, but I decided I will never cruise again if I have to eat at a table with strangers.

But I have also had nice people too.

I will also say, the servers did an excellent job with the Japanese girls ritual eveynight.

Our travel agent asked how many people we wished to be seated with and gave us 6 as an option.

We were seated with a group of folks from a friendly country to our north ,who were nice enough, I suppose, but couldn't refrain from asking stereotypical questions ad nauseum, once they found out we were from the Deep South. I guess they meant well, at least I hope so, but it was unpleasant. .

Works both ways......we have sat with people from the friendly country to the south that asked questions, to save someone else:

no....we don't have polar bears in our backyard

no.....we do not live in igloo's

yes...we have running water inside and do have a toilet

Interesting fact about Canada......Did you know that Metro Toronto has the 5th largest metro population in North America of over 6 million people.

yes....is does get very cold and yes....it does snow at times

yes....we do have electricity.

Edited by esdoorn

Works both ways......we have sat with people from the friendly country to the south that asked questions, to save someone else:

no....we don't have polar bears in our backyard

no.....we do not live in igloo's

yes...we have running water inside and do have a toilet

Interesting fact about Canada......Did you know that Metro Toronto has the 5th largest metro population in North America of over 6 million people.

yes....is does get very cold and yes....it does snow at times

yes....we do have electricity.

A couple more

no...we don't all have dog sleds

no...we don't live as far north as some of the United States. Where I live it is south of a lot of the United States..try and explain that one

no...I actually don't have a parka..I don't even own a winter coat.

I have found that some of my table mates have been great and I love to learn about other places. There have been a couple though that I could have done without.

tigercat

Most of our experiences have been disastrous. That's why we only do ATD and a table for two. DH likes sitting with others, but not me. Just don't discuss politics or religion and you'll be fine. If you don't like your table mates just ask to be seated at a different table.

Good decision. I would have done the same. There is no excuse for a tank top at a dining table. BTW, and please take this in the spirit of friendliness that it is intended. The phrase is "nip it in the bud," not "butt." Hopefully you can edit it before someone has some fun at your expense. :-)

I kinda like the butt better than the bud, makes the story even funnier.