If you tip extra above the prepaid, how much?

We had a very nice young lady that addressed our every whim on a recent Princess cruise (in the Sanctuary). We tipped her $100.00 cash at the end of the cruise....and we both walked away wondering if that was enough. She was superb in every way.

On my last cruise I tipped my waiter and asst waiter each an extra $20. I know it wasn't much but it was just me and I wanted them to both know that they were awesome. Of course I told them that too. My room steward got nothing I never saw him/her the entire trip.

On RCL We tipped extra:

Our stateroom attendant $20.00 (he was very nice and funny)

Waiter $10.00

Assistant Waiter $20.00 (he did much more work than the actual waiter)

Head Waiter $10.00

Not any big amounts, but simply an extra little bonus

On NCL in the Haven we tipped our butler $100.00 (It seemed she could read our minds of what we wanted - it was uncanny. Plus the daily bowl of M&Ms for our son was the best for him)

Depends on how good the service was and whether they fulfilled any special requests. Usually it is and we give $20 extra to steward, waiter & assistant waiter for a 7 night. Adjust accordingly for longer cruises.

I am just wondering for those who choose to tip more beyond the $12.95 per day, how much do you give?

that depends entirely the level of service we get over and above. some cruise nobody gets a dime extra, other cruises the Waitstaff earns another $50 and the cabin steward earns $20.

if we strike up a relationship with a specific bartender( as has happened once or twice) we will slip them a little extra on top the last night, or when he has me 'try something' that mysteriously never gets entered into the computer....

It ranges for us from $5 to $20. We also always carry $1 bills with us to tip the staff in the Windjammer and Promenade Café - especially those clearing the tables. I know they share tips from the standard daily gratuities, but we like to thank them at the time they serve us.

On the last day, DH and I walk around the ship with remaining $1 bills and tip any cleaners/maintenance people we run into - just a $1 bill each... those expressions of surprise are priceless. :) In total, we usually tip about $100 over the standard gratuities. It is part of our cruise budget and easy to do when we consider the OBC ( aka free money:D ) we get from our TA.

that depends entirely the level of service we get over and above. some cruise nobody gets a dime extra, other cruises the Waitstaff earns another $50 and the cabin steward earns $20.

if we strike up a relationship with a specific bartender( as has happened once or twice) we will slip them a little extra on top the last night, or when he has me 'try something' that mysteriously never gets entered into the computer....

Firstly, we absolutely always pay the auto-gratuities and generally pre-pay with our cruise fare. It's not a question of even considering reducing or removing them. But that said, we do believe attentive service has declined significantly over the years. We have been on two sailings like the bolded above; one where our cabin steward and one where our head waiter did absolutely nothing worthy of an extra tip. Usually we do give a couple of $10's to each of them over the course of the trip - we don't generally save it up until the last day.

We have always tip room service ($3) but will NOT do so on NCL given the new delivery charge. In the past we've always tipped an extra buck or so on drink tabs too, but will be stopping that also since we feel the prices and the auto-gratuities for beverages have "jumped the shark". We tip for spa services, but would not do so if there is an auto-gratuity already in place.

Edited by ronandannette

I gave my favorite waitress and my favorite espresso barista an extra $5 the last night, on top of the automatic drink gratuities. And our cabin steward got an extra $10 because she got us free laundry. Room service was $1-$2 per order (the latter when it was a heavy tray and she brought it onto the balcony.

Pretty much no matter what I tip the assistant waiter enough to bring them up to what the main waiter gets. Most cruises I've give them $10 or 20 above the waiters normal tip. The room steward really depends, if I give extra it is generally $20.

The only time I've ever given extra to head waiter is on our last Disney cruise. After the first night we asked for a different table and the service he provided was way over and beyond, including tracking us down at Breakfast the next day to discuss the situation. He also made a point to talk with everyone in his section every night. I think we gave him an extra 30 or 40 and put his name on the survey.

7 day family of 4...

Steward and waiter got 20$ (we ate at MDR 4 of 7 nights)

Assistant waiter got 20$ and a bottle of champagne we didn't drink (in hind site - he deserved even more!)

Head waiter got 20$ - he was just awesome and helped us nearly every day and really earned his tip when he got us moved into or waiters section for the 5th night (we couldn't get a MTD spot there originally but he made it happen which was awesome!)

If you pay your tips there is no need to tip extra. We do give a small tip for room service. We have given extra $20 to waiters who have been really good - changing vegetables from set meals, etc.

On one cruise we had an amazing waiter but only four out of eight paid the set gratuities. The other four removed them as 'no one gave them tips when they worked'. As a result we four gave extra because not only did they deserve it but just to show the Head Waiter that it was not because of bad service that the others removed their gratuities. Some never intend paying anything.

Lots of people always remove the tips. Because they can and are allowed to do so very easily!

Yes ....i think they are being cheap but if its allowed and the tips are discretionary then its up to them entirely.

The problem is that tips are discretionary and not mandatory. Its Royals fault...and the rest of the cruise industry who persist with a system that

ignores the cultural differences to tipping around the world.......

The attitudes in the UK are so different from the USA. Who knows what the tipping cultures are in the other 60 or so nations represented on each cruise????

Having prepaid tips as requested ....if I received less than expected service levels I would consider removing all the tips and then handing them back to this who deserved them. I've never done this but I would consider it........

Because I can......

I do tip extra to the concierge lounge staff.....

Edited by Newtoncruise

I am just wondering for those who choose to tip more beyond the $12.95 per day, how much do you give?

We usually tip $20 extra to room steward, $10 to each of his or her helpers, $20 to waiter, $10 to assistant waiter. There have been times we have increased these amounts.

It depends on the length of the cruise, how much we ask of those serving us and how good the service is.

After all isn't a tip meant to reard good service?

I am moe likely to give extra to someone who makes my cruise more enjoyable than someone who goes through the motions.

I have been known to tip someone whose service I don't use but who has been fun to be around, ie the wine waiter on one cruise who was fun and always had a smile a joke and a chat, even though he never served us.