Nice shorts & collared shirt in MDR on Zaandam?

janermac

I love your attitude. I haven't posted until now, but the snarky and rude remarks you've gotten have pushed me into the discussion. I just wanted to let you know we aren't all like that. You have repeatedly said you are taking the advice given, and yet some just can't leave it alone. :rolleyes:

As someone else said, dress code and smoking threads seem to release the demons. :D

Haha, seems to be the case! Thanks for your reply ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know i am persistent and i will stop after this one.

Often people believe if they say an untruth often enough it will become true - eventually people will stop correcting them.

Dress codes exist and i see the vast majority of people following them. I have seen many more people turned away for not meeting the code than permitted to enter inappropriately dressed. Saying otherwise does not make it so

Casual dress is well defined. It is clear and and shorts are not included. Saying shorts are considered casual dress does not make it so. When the definition changes, i am sure it will be communicated as well.

Those of us on Cruise critic should provide accurate information and should object when false information is provided.

JPH814,

I believe you can rest your head tonight knowing you have done your due diligence to provide accurate information and have made the administration at HAL proud.

Thank you for your input :)

I know i am persistent and i will stop after this one.

Often people believe if they say an untruth often enough it will become true - eventually people will stop correcting them.

Dress codes exist and i see the vast majority of people following them. I have seen many more people turned away for not meeting the code than permitted to enter inappropriately dressed. Saying otherwise does not make it so

Casual dress is well defined. It is clear and and shorts are not included. Saying shorts are considered casual dress does not make it so. When the definition changes, i am sure it will be communicated as well.

Those of us on Cruise critic should provide accurate information and should object when false information is provided.

Just for fun I contacted Hal to see if the dress code has changed to include shorts based on comments made here. I got quoted word for word what us on their website. If there is a change they don't seem to know about it. It appears to me it's a matter of non enforcement no matter what sort of spin is put on it. I've asked why shorts are being permitted on some ships. I don't expect to get an answer. My post is for info only and I realize the op is not planning to go to the MDR in shorts.

Edited by cruz chic

Actually, we have a balcony booked just below yours where he will sit in his boxers smoking morning, noon, and night. :)

I'm sure it wasn't your husband but we had his twin on our Panama Canal cruise --- cough and all.....YUCK!

Welcome to HAL - you sound like the kind of people we would enjoy having at our dinner table, no matter what the attire. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Thank you, what a nice compliment! Maybe our cruising paths will cross one day :)

This post is about the Lido Deck. I booked a cruise this week:) On the “Before You Go” link of the confirmation Email, there’s a link for an updated “Know Before You Go” brochure dated 07/2015 at http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf . This is now on Page 7:

“CLOTHING . . .

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts.”

The brochure I had downloaded in May had the language about shorts being best for daytime, but the one I just viewed has wording that’s a bit different for the Lido Deck. Just wanted to pass that along.

Happy Travels!

Edited by syesmar

Got it, TOTALLY clear on the expectations now. Like I said- He will wear pants. He will be fine. It can be intimidating to post a question if you think you'll be met with negative feedback so I especially appreciate the comments that were positive, gave advice, and wished us a good voyage! :)

Since you have your answer, for your own sanity, stop reading now! :). There will always be grumpies who have to post negative remarks.

There is a WORLD of difference between what HAL has on their website and what really happens, or happens very inconsistently, on their ships.

I always wear slacks for dinner. But frankly, I could care less is someone is wearing shorts. Especially since I do not even see that when they are seated.

So if you are wearing shorts, and need somewhere to sit for dinner in the MDR, you would be welcome at our table.

If HAL had a problem with people wearing shorts in the MDR then they would not let them in. Clearly this is not the case on some sailings.

As for the 'Signature of Excellence' tag....that one is pure marketing bumph.

Edited by iancal

There is a WORLD of difference between what HAL has on their website and what really happens, or happens very inconsistently, on their ships.

I always wear slacks for dinner. But frankly, I could care less is someone is wearing shorts. Especially since I do not even see that when they are seated.

So if you are wearing shorts, and need somewhere to sit for dinner in the MDR, you would be welcome at our table.

If HAL had a problem with people wearing shorts in the MDR then they would not let them in. Clearly this is not the case on some sailings.

Agreed. "HAL" doesn't operate the individual ships; that's left to the discretion of the ships' captains, their officers and their crews. As much as posters on CC know, or think they know, about the running of the fleet, the captains and those serving under them have a far great knowledge.

Thank you :)

Since you have your answer, for your own sanity, stop reading now! :). There will always be grumpies who have to post negative remarks.

Good advice! I am astonished at the redundant new posts- I guess it's too time consuming to read the whole thread before chiming in :)

This post is about the Lido Deck. I booked a cruise this week:) On the “Before You Go” link of the confirmation Email, there’s a link for an updated “Know Before You Go” brochure dated 07/2015 at http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf . This is now on Page 7:

“CLOTHING . . .

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts.”

The brochure I had downloaded in May had the language about shorts being best for daytime, but the one I just viewed has wording that’s a bit different for the Lido Deck. Just wanted to pass that along.

Happy Travels!

Thank you for the info and the well wishes! :)

Good advice! I am astonished at the redundant new posts- I guess it's too time consuming to read the whole thread before chiming in :)

I think that's human nature. Often people bypass a thread and then later take a look (sometimes threads have gone far from the original title and intent;)) and feel they have something to offer. No biggie.

What happened with Carnival several years ago is they went to Dress Shorts and a Collared Pullover! People started doing what they wanted and the next thing people wearing basketball shorts, t-shirts, spandex shorts and cut-off tank tops.

Hopefully, HAL will keep long pants and some kind of a dress code!

I just wanted to pass along some observations about the updated wording in the “Know Before You Go” document that was previously mentioned (the same language also appears in the Express Documents, as reported by http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2242179).

Here’s the wording from the “Know Before You Go” Document dated 03/2015:

“Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sports shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Printed T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours.

On festive Formal evenings, ladies wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a suit and tie or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per seven days and three formal nights per ten days. Formal wear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use during your cruise by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 1-800-551-5091 or (305) 252-6565. For more information, please visit cruiselineformal.com. Your formal wear will be in your stateroom when you board. In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.”

HAL’s website has the following at http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Baggage,+Packing+%26+Dress+Code&WT.ac=PopTop_Clothing

“Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Gala Attire or Smart Casual. Most evenings, Smart Casual is appropriate and can be defined as slacks and sports shirts or sweater for men and a skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Shorts, flip-flops, swimwear, distressed jeans and men's tank tops are best left to daytime and the poolside.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. Jacket and tie are appropriate for gentlemen, while ladies wear a cocktail dress or gown. On Grand Voyages, many gentlemen choose formal attire. . . .”

The website pretty much matches the 03/2015 KBYG document, except that the website uses “Gala” instead of “Formal”. My main purpose is to point out the updated documents, though, as the website is usually updated after the documents.

Here’s what the updated “Know Before You Go” document, dated 07/2015 and found on Page 7 at http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf, says (and also current Express Documents):

“CLOTHING

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Pool/ beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops should be left to daytime and poolside.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts. . . .”

I notice several things in the updated version, a couple of which are:

1) The definition of Smart Casual has been removed.

2) The word “shorts” has been removed from clothing best left to the daytime.

3) On Gala Nights, the words “shorts and T-shirts” have been added to attire that is permissible on the Lido Deck. While shorts were previously forbidden in public areas during evening hours on any night, now they are specifically mentioned as permitted on the Lido Deck during Gala Nights.

Interesting.

Here’s what the updated “Know Before You Go” document, dated 07/2015 and found on Page 7 at http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf, says (and also current Express Documents):

“CLOTHING

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Pool/ beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops should be left to daytime and poolside.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts. . . .”

I notice several things in the updated version, a couple of which are:

1) The definition of Smart Casual has been removed.

2) The word “shorts” has been removed from clothing best left to the daytime.

3) On Gala Nights, the words “shorts and T-shirts” have been added to attire that is permissible on the Lido Deck. While shorts were previously forbidden in public areas during evening hours on any night, now they are specifically mentioned as permitted on the Lido Deck during Gala Nights.

Interesting.

Another interesting point is that HAL has differentiated between items that are appropriate on Gala nights (jacket and tie) and those that are required (collared shirt and slacks).

Edited by Fouremco