port or Starboard

Is there an advantage to selecting a cabin on the port or starboard side of a ship? thanks.

Depends on the situation.

On Oasis and Allure, they tend to dock on the starboard side. That does not necessarily mean that the docked side has a better view.

If you are on a transatlantic cruise, one side is more sunny than the other.

If you are leaving from San Juan, starboard has the best view.

Most of the time, it makes little difference.

As Bob said, the only time we have a preference is on Transatlantic cruises as we like to be on the sunny side for the crossing. That is not so much for the sun on the balcony but for views of sunrise and sunset.

Sometimes when we dock we have the industrial side of the port, other times we see the nicer side. Guess you can't apply any logic; depends on the port. I guess. thanks all.

With most of my royal sailings. The starboard side faces the port.

(not always, especially oasis class in the bahamas)

I like to see the ship dock, I like watching her come in,and I LOVE watching the drunken sunburned idiots with the balloon hats and the huge drink cups running for the ship as people cheer them on at 5:30pm. it's one of my favorite things.. so I will almost always book starboard side. There are those that prefer to always see the water, so they may favor the port side. And of course, the arguments for alaska and the crossings...

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt

One consideration you may want to make is that the smoking areas are on the port side. Midship balconies can be affected on lower decks.

That is not correct. The new policy is that smoking is only permitted in designated areas on the starboard side on all RCCL ships except for Oasis class on which it is allowed on the port side.

So on the diagram of the FOS deck plans on this site, our cabin 7364 is on the right side - starboard?

Yes, Royal orients the bow of the ship towards the top of the page, so the right side would be starboard.

Is there an advantage to selecting a cabin on the port or starboard side of a ship? thanks.

My personal thought on this is..I like the afternoon shade on my balcony towards the end of the cruise. I noticed this right away

. That after being up on deck in the sun all day or at port in the sun all day When you came back to my cabin and I want to enjoy my bacony,with the sun baking down on me it wasn't very relaxing..For instance on my eastern cruise im starboard with the 2 seas days toward the end of the cruise.

so when we are sailing NW i get shade in the afternoon..

hope this helps!

For some reason I always book port side. No idea why

So do we unless I snag an aft. We do not smoke so that is the main reason we do. Have yet to do an Oasis class but we are booked on the Harmony TA. I booked a port balcony and it should be starboard for that class. Guess a call to my TA is in order.

For some reason I always book port side. No idea why

I'm the same.

But next cruise I am Starboard, Port was sold out when we booked, I presume people think they'll see land, but that will actually be a rarity.

I booked a Starboard side Ocean View cabin on the Sovereign and had an excellent view of Nassau as we docked. The next cruise I booked the same area on the Monarch, the Captain backed in to the dock and I had an excellent view of the ship beside us.

Not an option anymore.

They won't let you change cabins half way through.

Didn't mean to suggest that. Was referring to the longer voyages between England and India.

Originally, the outbound leg was England to India. The home leg was returning to England.

Didn't mean to suggest that. Was referring to the longer voyages between England and India.

Originally, the outbound leg was England to India. The home leg was returning to England.

Back when cruising was transport, not a vacation.

I'd love an 8 month cruise I suspect that when my ancestors came out it wasn't a lot of fun.

The new policy is that smoking is only permitted in designated areas on the starboard side on all RCCL ships except for Oasis class on which it is allowed on the port side.

So on Oasis class, does that mean it's only allowed on the port side, or is it allowed on both sides?